Proposed Revisions to FEMA SAR Typing Documents March 2008

Started by sardak, March 31, 2008, 07:34:46 AM

sardak

No, there really isn't anyone else performing these functions.  That's why I think they were dropped - if FEMA needs these services, they call CAP.  I even asked if CAP wanted the air SAR resources dropped so that they could ensure being the single source.  The answer was no, but I'm not convinced.

The latest update from FEMA includes this regarding what resources they are considering: "Most commonly requested and exchanged resources during significant disasters and emergencies through interstate and intrastate mutual aid."  RDF teams don't fall into those categories.  One can argue that fixed wing air SAR resources don't either, since those are generally obtained from CAP and the military. 

Mike

RiverAux

There are a couple of small (relative to CAP) organizations that do similar tasks and some county sherrif departments will call on volunteers to do similar things in emergency situations.  And, there is the CG Aux air program, though they generally don't get into providing such support for local and state agencies like CAP does. 

isuhawkeye

Off of the top of my head the following entities in my neck of the woods do aerial SAR/Recon/Damage assessment, and they advertise

1. Iowa state Patrol (Cessna 172's, 182's, 206, with thermal imagery capability)
2. Aero-Medical Helicopters (Always looking to justify program expansion)
3. 3 different Law enforcement Helicopters operate in and around Iowa
4. IA Army National Guard assets always volunteer for the assignment
5. Two private companies have attempted to enter into commercial contracts with the state to provide these services
6. CAP
7. Coast Guard Aux has looked into expanding into our AOR

Is that enought