Main Menu

Largest Squadron?

Started by CAPSGT, March 12, 2008, 02:04:19 AM

cnitas

So, the model is that we 'attach' to a middle school and use that as our membership pull, through elective credit?

I don't live in Berkley, but the county school's policy is to not let any outside org advertise or recruit in the school.  We could get in the county newsletter if we go through the County school board and get approval.  It would be on a per-issue approval basis, and subject to their elective politics.  Read- Lots and lots of work for a little exposure. 

Our Middle schools have about 600-800 students.  So I would need 150 members.  Hmm.... I would need 20%+ of the students to be enrolled.  Not sure that is possible in my county. 

Perhaps if I got the entire county to offer the elective credit through all schools for our regular activity it might be possible.

They only just let their first JROTC group (Navy) in 2 years ago. And it is only at 1 school.

I am not trying to be argumenitive, just want to understand the 'new' model.
Mark A. Piersall, Lt Col, CAP
Frederick Composite Squadron
MER-MD-003

Earhart1971

Actually, they would let you fly with whatever their elective minimum is to start a school elective in that School District, call the school district, they may have a Middle School that would be interested. Go to CAP.gov and look up the information on the SEP and Middle School Elective, they have 6 years of course per day posted. The Schools love the program its just a matter of does the district have a Salary for a CAP Instructor.

Call your Coordinator at Wing (School Programs), its possible you could start next fall.

You need to move fast, they are planning for electives and budgets now in the School Districts across the country. Jump on it tomorrow.

In Florida it is Group 800, The Middle Schools Group. They changed the name to SEP or School Enrichment, but The CAP Middle School Elective was designed by Gerry Levesque (Pron.  Leveck).

Eeyore

:D The Berkeley thing made me laugh. I do live in Berkeley and our Sq has a real tough time getting into the schools, papers, community events, etc. They really don't like us or anyone that has anything to do with the military here. I guess you all already know that though if you watch the news.

We are slowly growing the Sq though, and we have a good relationship with the ROTC programs at UC Berkeley (which services all area colleges).

:Now back to the topic:

isuhawkeye

LTC Levesque is an excellent CAP youth program expert.  Back in the lat 90's Iowa brought him in, but he didn't come back for years 2-5????

SAR-EMT1

Earhart, in answer to your Berekley question...

Not allowing CAP into schools is a growing national trend i in the Dept of Education. For example, in Central IL outside "groups" are forbidden from coming in contact with the kids.  Even when recruiters for the AD military or reps from colleges want to set up a booth there has to be full approval from the school administrators. Groups like CAP, Scouts etc are TOTALLY FORBIDDEN from even coming onto school grounds. This is due to a Supreme Court Decision from (I believe) 2003 in the Southeast US where the KKK tried to sue a school for barring the Klan from having a recruiting booth set up at lunch. The court in its infinite wisdom came up in favor of the Klan and said that if the school let in one group at lunch (say CAP for example) the school would have to allow anyone in - the KKK, Hells Angels etc... henceforth the national trend is forbid ANYONE.

I think the decision totally blows and goes against moral values but thats political correctness for you. In central IL even the Anti drug programs and lunchtime prayer meetings were cut.
C. A. Edgar
AUX USCG Flotilla 8-8
Former CC / GLR-IL-328
Firefighter, Paramedic, Grad Student

Earhart1971

Quote from: SAR-EMT1 on April 15, 2008, 04:20:15 AM
Earhart, in answer to your Berekley question...

Not allowing CAP into schools is a growing national trend i in the Dept of Education. For example, in Central IL outside "groups" are forbidden from coming in contact with the kids.  Even when recruiters for the AD military or reps from colleges want to set up a booth there has to be full approval from the school administrators. Groups like CAP, Scouts etc are TOTALLY FORBIDDEN from even coming onto school grounds. This is due to a Supreme Court Decision from (I believe) 2003 in the Southeast US where the KKK tried to sue a school for barring the Klan from having a recruiting booth set up at lunch. The court in its infinite wisdom came up in favor of the Klan and said that if the school let in one group at lunch (say CAP for example) the school would have to allow anyone in - the KKK, Hells Angels etc... henceforth the national trend is forbid ANYONE.

I think the decision totally blows and goes against moral values but thats political correctness for you. In central IL even the Anti drug programs and lunchtime prayer meetings were cut.

If we want to talk to the school about an elective, we can go in.

Then we give them the alternate choice close.

Earhart1971

Quote from: isuhawkeye on April 14, 2008, 10:06:55 PM
LTC Levesque is an excellent CAP youth program expert.  Back in the lat 90's Iowa brought him in, but he didn't come back for years 2-5????

220 Cadets keeps him pretty busy, I think he has two other instructors helping.

CAPSGT

OK, so we've all heard how we are not worthy of being in the presence of the almighty Gerry Levesque.   ::)

Can anybody actually answer my question that started this thread though?  Does anybody know where I can find the actual....factual....information?  Thanks.
MICHAEL A. CROCKETT, Lt Col, CAP
Assistant Communications Officer, Wicomico Composite Squadron

cnitas

Mike,

You might be able to get it with a call to National HQ.
I have never seen any such numbers posted or published.

Mark A. Piersall, Lt Col, CAP
Frederick Composite Squadron
MER-MD-003

CAPSGT

They used to post the 10 largest annually just like they posted squadrons of distinction and cadets of the year. 
MICHAEL A. CROCKETT, Lt Col, CAP
Assistant Communications Officer, Wicomico Composite Squadron

Earhart1971

Quote from: CAPSGT on April 15, 2008, 03:12:35 PM
OK, so we've all heard how we are not worthy of being in the presence of the almighty Gerry Levesque.   ::)

Can anybody actually answer my question that started this thread though?  Does anybody know where I can find the actual....factual....information?  Thanks.

Well, let take a poll 3 weeks ago, Gerry said 220, is there another Squadron that has more Cadets?

Actually Gerry has been very accessable to me.

But my question is too, why would you not list the Squadrons by size of unit on the National Web Site, I think thats a great idea.

Why not have a rating system?

List the number one Squadron and go on down to the lowest of the low, might be a motivator to improve. A National Rating List of Units. List it on the National Web Site.

List the Wings the same way.

And the Bigger question, why has Sheldon never been Squadron of Distinction?

I was surprised to find out that, but its true.

arajca

One problem is that generally, the school based squadrons dwarf community based squadrons. When you have basically a captive audience, it is easier to have a large unit.

While not the largest, my unit boke 50 members a couple moths ago. We've been between 50 and 53 since.

kpetersen

Quote from: Earhart1971 on April 15, 2008, 03:41:41 PM
But my question is too, why would you not list the Squadrons by size of unit on the National Web Site, I think thats a great idea.

Why not have a rating system?

List the number one Squadron and go on down to the lowest of the low, might be a motivator to improve. A National Rating List of Units. List it on the National Web Site.

List the Wings the same way.

And the Bigger question, why has Sheldon never been Squadron of Distinction?

To answer the second question:
Quote from: CAPR 39-3a. National Headquarters will designate the
Squadron of Distinction based on the following criteria:
(1) Squadron Strength - A minimum of 12 cadets at the beginning of the calendar year.
(2) Squadron Growth Rate - Reflected by an active recruiting and retention program.
(3) Cadet Achievement - Reflected by Mitchell, Earhart, Phase IV and Spaatz awarded during the calendar year.
(4) Cadet Encampment Attendance - Reflected by first-time encampment attendance of squadron cadets.
(5) Cadet Orientation Flight Participation - Reflected by the participation of squadron cadets in the Flight Orientation Program

The Middle School squadrons generally don't have a large growth rate after they're started.  They lose cadets once they get past middle school, and make up cadets from the next year.  So while they don't have a shrinking cadet size, they have a static one.  Additionally, the squadron strength only requires 12 cadets.  There also are fewer Mitchell and higher cadets because the students lack the maturity at that age, for the most part, to be officers. 

I don't know if middle schools hold encampments, and if they did, only for themselves, it would be hard to learn the normal leadership you'd find at an encampment.  Finally, MSS don't have a sqdn airplane, and don't have many, if any, pilots assigned.

As to the ranking system, as this states, there is much more to being a successful squadron than size. 
Kat Petersen, Maj, CAP

captrncap

I found this on the TLC site.

kpetersen

Quote from: captrncap on April 15, 2008, 06:39:28 PM
I found this on the TLC site.

No date so I don't know when it was updated.

Page two says the data is from 2005.
Kat Petersen, Maj, CAP

sjtrupp

Current information for TX -802 (Sheldon) is: 13 Officers, 249 Cadets for a total of 262 members  :clap: