EPIRB false activation rate

Started by RiverAux, March 09, 2008, 02:40:21 AM

RiverAux

From the Spring 2008 issue of the CG Aux 1st Northern Region newsletter:
QuoteFalse EPIRB positives. A recent Coast Guard study indicates
that the ratio of false EPIRB activations to actual EPIRB distress
activations is 17:1.

If I manage to turn up the study, I'll pass it on. 

BigMojo

Have to imagine it's higher than that down here in South Flor-i-duh I think we average a non-distress/accidental EPIRB once a week, or every other week in the Palm Beach, Broward, Dade County areas.
Ben Dickmann, Capt, CAP
Emergency Services Officer
Group 6, Florida Wing

PHall

I know we get at least 2 or 3 a week down here in SoCal.
More then a couple are found in dumpsters.

RiverAux

In case you didn't know, all CG Auxiliary boat coxswains are issued EPIRBs for their boats, so it might not hurt for CAP people to have a visit with their local CG Aux unit about EPIRBs and how to avoid unintentional activations.  This probably especially applies on inland areas where the Auxies probably aren't as familiar with the equipment as are those along the coasts where EPIRBS are fairly common.   

RiverAux

One interesting point is that this EPIRB false activation rate isn't all that different from that of ELTs and what this might mean as we switch over to the new ELTs.  Of course, not all EPIRBS are in the group that has to be registered. 

JoeTomasone

Quote from: RiverAux on March 09, 2008, 03:07:32 AM
In case you didn't know, all CG Auxiliary boat coxswains are issued EPIRBs for their boats, so it might not hurt for CAP people to have a visit with their local CG Aux unit about EPIRBs and how to avoid unintentional activations.  This probably especially applies on inland areas where the Auxies probably aren't as familiar with the equipment as are those along the coasts where EPIRBS are fairly common.   

Since the USCG prosecutes activated EPIRBs on the water, one would think that they would cover this base.

My dad's in the Auxiliary; I'll ask him.

RiverAux

Not really.  There are plenty of CG Aux units scattered on the inland lakes and rivers. 

♠SARKID♠

Quote from: BigMojo on March 09, 2008, 02:48:32 AM
Have to imagine it's higher than that down here in South Flor-i-duh I think we average a non-distress/accidental EPIRB once a week, or every other week in the Palm Beach, Broward, Dade County areas.
Quote from: PHall on March 09, 2008, 03:05:13 AM
I know we get at least 2 or 3 a week down here in SoCal.
More then a couple are found in dumpsters.

Geez, send some of those this way...

sardak

QuoteIf I manage to turn up the study, I'll pass it on.

I believe it's this report:
EPIRB Study

The 17:1 number is on page 65.  This study was performed by undergrads at Worcester Polytechnic Institute, is thorough and has good information.

Mike

RiverAux

Excellent googling skills Mike.  Thanks. 

JoeTomasone

Here's what Dad had to say.   In deference to the above posts, he is indeed in a coastal location (Long Island, NY):

"We have personal EPIRB's that we carry in our pyro vest.  It is hard to set them off by accident.  We are supposed to test them once a month at 5 min past the hour.  Also I have heard that if used when in the water they must be kept dry.

To activate one must open a cover, get the antenna out and then turn it on. "

mynetdude

Quote from: JoeTomasone on March 09, 2008, 04:14:04 PM
Here's what Dad had to say.   In deference to the above posts, he is indeed in a coastal location (Long Island, NY):

"We have personal EPIRB's that we carry in our pyro vest.  It is hard to set them off by accident.  We are supposed to test them once a month at 5 min past the hour.  Also I have heard that if used when in the water they must be kept dry.

You'd think they would make them waterproof by now.

JohnKachenmeister

Quote from: mynetdude on March 10, 2008, 01:02:32 AM

I think if they get wet, they assume you have sunk, and turn themselves on.
Another former CAP officer

♠SARKID♠

Quote from: JohnKachenmeister on March 10, 2008, 01:23:47 AM
Quote from: mynetdude on March 10, 2008, 01:02:32 AM

I think if they get wet, they assume you have sunk, and turn themselves on.

Depends on the class of EPIRB, some turn on when wet, some don't.

JayT

Hey, that's my neck of the words!

What's his name?
"Eagerness and thrill seeking in others' misery is psychologically corrosive, and is also rampant in EMS. It's a natural danger of the job. It will be something to keep under control, something to fight against."

♠SARKID♠

mynetdude

Quote from: ♠SARKID♠ on March 10, 2008, 03:31:58 AM
^ I think you mean woods

heh o and r are on the same row, but they are not in the same quadrant your left hand does r and right hand does o, he must have gotten his electrolytes messed up in his brain.. it happens to me regularly.. I think o and I will do r or some other letter.

No I don't really think its electrolytes... just picking on people.

RRLE

QuoteAlso I have heard that if used when in the water they must be kept dry.

The model, which I don't have handy, the USCG bought for the Auxiliary has a bad connection at the antennea. It the unit gets wet, which a PEPIRB will in use, the unit can cease to function. So instead of replacing the defective units, Auxies were told to keep the unit in a watertight plastic bag and make sure to always hold it above the water in use.

QuoteWe are supposed to test them once a month at 5 min past the hour.

True but I know several facility (boat) owners who were issued these a few years ago and they were never tested. Most owners consider them a nuisance and they just get tossed in the boat gear bag or on-board locker and there they will remain until they have to be sent in for battery replacement.