Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 25, 2019, 11:27:10 AM
Home Help Login Register

CAP Talk  |  Operations  |  Tall Tales  |  Topic: Pair found alive in Utah after 11 days and massive search
0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Send this topic Print
Author Topic: Pair found alive in Utah after 11 days and massive search  (Read 1587 times)

Posts: 71
Unit: RMR-UT-007

« on: February 07, 2008, 01:18:07 AM »

Two people were found alive today in Utah after 11 days.  There was an extensive search by four sheriffs departments (UT and NV) and aircraft from Utah and Nevada Wings of the CAP.  The pair was found near the primary search area.  Initial reports said the vehicle they were in was buried in snow.  About noon today they decided to try to walk out (the WX has been a little better in the area today.) The two were walking out when they were found by an Iron County road crew.  Reports said the pair was in good condition but were taken to a hospital in Cedar City for evaluation.  They were found in Modena Canyon north of HWY 56.  Reports said they had been eating dog food and melting snow for water.  Their dog was also in good condition.  They were taking photos of wild horses and said they went down a road too far and got stuck and then the snow hit.  There has been anywhere from 1 to three feet of snow in the area since they were missing.

Both Utah and Nevada flew sorties, hampered by winds and snow about every other day.  That they survived is nothing short of a miracle.  Even in the summer, the area they were in is quite rugged.

The two were last seen in Nevada headed back into Utah.  The search area was quite large given the fact they were photographing wild horses and headed to St. George.  The two are from Kearns (a suburb of SLC).

Earlier today the sheriffs were looking at pawn shops to see if any of the pair's stuff had been pawned, fearing they had been subject to criminal action. 

Also, one ground searcher from Iron County SAR (aged 37) died.  Apparent heart attack after unsticking his snowmobile several times.  Reports placed him about a mile from where the pair was stuck.  The ground SAR death (non CAP) was a low point in the search.

Jerry W.
Report to moderator   Logged
Jerry Wellman, Col., CAP
NHQ CAP Assistant Senior Program Manager
Command & Control Communications
(C) 801.541.3741
U.S. Air Force Auxiliary
Too Much Free Time Award

Posts: 10,703

« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2008, 05:33:01 AM »

That was like two grids east of where I did my sorties!

It's great that they are okay.
Report to moderator   Logged
Salty & Seasoned Contributor

Posts: 1,236

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2008, 06:35:25 AM »

COWG flew one sortie.  Time to/from the search area in western Utah was longer than the sortie time.  Glad to hear they were found alive.

Report to moderator   Logged
Pages: [1] Send this topic Print 
CAP Talk  |  Operations  |  Tall Tales  |  Topic: Pair found alive in Utah after 11 days and massive search

Powered by MySQL Powered by PHP SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines Valid XHTML 1.0! Valid CSS!
Page created in 0.043 seconds with 26 queries.