BG Courter's Open Table With IAWG

Started by CASH172, February 04, 2008, 06:41:58 AM

CASH172

I just found these and found them interesting considering the recent events.  Her comments on IAWG's WTAs also surprised me.

http://youtube.com/profile_videos?user=CAPNCR

♠SARKID♠

I would be so freaking out if she visited my squadron.

floridacyclist

It's not so unusual...we had Pineda drop by unannounced one night. He just happened to be in town on other business and found out we had a meeting that night and stopped by to see what we were up to. The Sq CC was in a meeting and thought I was pulling his leg when I simply opened the door and said "General Pineda is here". "Really Gene, we're busy here". "No sir, General Pineda really is here...he's being let in the gate right now".

I did meet Gen Courter this weekend at the FL Wing Conference. She strikes me as someone with a lot of love and vision for CAP and an excellent role model for young men and women alike. I was impressed
Gene Floyd, Capt CAP
Wearer of many hats, master of none (but senior-rated in two)
www.tallahasseecap.org
www.rideforfatherhood.org

ammotrucker

I agree with you Gene.  She seems very level headed and her enthiasm is quite evident.  I think that she would/will make an excellent permenant Commander.
RG Little, Capt

mynetdude

Quote from: ♠SARKID♠ on February 04, 2008, 06:51:57 AM
I would be so freaking out if she visited my squadron.

She visited ORWG at our October wing confrence, I kinda wished I had gone but mainly for other reasons.  Can't have too many regrets in life, not that I have any/much anyway.

notaNCO forever

Quote from: ammotrucker on February 04, 2008, 11:48:53 AM
I agree with you Gene.  She seems very level headed and her enthiasm is quite evident.  I think that she would/will make an excellent permenant Commander.
I agree. Also does anyone know when they will install a new official National CC. ???

dwb

The National Board meeting in August of this year.  It's the only time the NB can vote for a new CAP/CC.  They'll also elect a new CAP/CV.

bosshawk

Concur with all of the positive comments about BGen Courter.  I had the pleasure of talking to her several times during the CAWG Conference in November.  She was at our Conf for the whole thing and just about wore her laptop out taking notes and then responding to questions and comments. 

A breath of fresh air in an organization that can use some of that, given events of recent months.  I, too, hope that she becomes the permanent CC.
Paul M. Reed
Col, USA(ret)
Former CAP Lt Col
Wilson #2777

John Bryan

I noticed in the clips in part 3 the one cadet officer was wearing an EMT badge.....which is great.

But then a few minutes later the general says once you find a crashed plane cadets stop. I can think of no other SAR agency that would tell an EMT sorry we have to protect you from the nature of your work.

CADET does not equal child....the standard for a 12 yr old should be different then a 19 yr old EMT  >:(

arajca

You don't make policy based on the exception - you make to cover the majority.

JohnKachenmeister

Quote from: John Bryan on February 04, 2008, 09:26:50 PM
I noticed in the clips in part 3 the one cadet officer was wearing an EMT badge.....which is great.

But then a few minutes later the general says once you find a crashed plane cadets stop. I can think of no other SAR agency that would tell an EMT sorry we have to protect you from the nature of your work.

CADET does not equal child....the standard for a 12 yr old should be different then a 19 yr old EMT  >:(

I don't think that pertains to cadets over 18.  Cadets over 18 can be assigned without limitation to anything they are qualified for, including flight crews.
Another former CAP officer

RogueLeader

That Cadet is C/Capt. Elizabeth Speorle (sp?- been a while) of Iowa 43, Dubuque Composite Squadron.  She is a great leader.  As of last May, she was the Cadet Commander.  I also noticed another cadet from my old squadron in the mix as well.  They are OUTSTANDING cadets.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

Eclipse

As a CAP member she should not be involved in EMS care at all, cadet or otherwise.

As to the prohibition on cadets seeing "ickyness", I agree, as said the rules are not based on the exception, and for every Doogie Houser M.D., there are 500 kids in camo who will be negatively effected seeing death caused by impact trauma.

I am constantly surprised to see how many high school kids have never been to a wake, let alone an accident scene.

If she wants to be a paramedic, and her state allows it, she should pursue that route.  In CAP, the EMT badges are basically honorary.

"That Others May Zoom"

BlackKnight

Quote from: arajca on February 04, 2008, 09:33:49 PM
You don't make policy based on the exception - you make to cover the majority.

[thread drift  ;D ]. 
All due respect to General Courter, but you don't "make policy" in CAP with speeches.  You do it with regulations and policy memos that are later encoded into regulations. Therefore this is just simply debate fodder.  The proper place for any policy statements regarding cadets in ES is in the new CAPR 60-3 draft.  There is quite a bit of new material on that particular topic in the draft.

Phil Boylan, Maj, CAP
DCS, Rome Composite Sqdn - GA043
http://www.romecap.org/

BlackKnight

Quote from: Eclipse on February 05, 2008, 03:38:58 AM
As a CAP member she should not be involved in EMS care at all, cadet or otherwise.

If she wants to be a paramedic, and her state allows it, she should pursue that route.  In CAP, the EMT badges are basically honorary.

[more thread drift...]
I know about a dozen EMTs in my wing who would disagree with you on that.  Now if you are trying to say that CAP is not a "first responder" organization and we can't treat injuries as well as a professional ambulance crew, well that's stating the obvious and I completely agree.  But as a ground team leader I sure as heck want a qualified EMT/CAP member on my team if one is available.  And I don't particularly care whether they have pips on their collars or not.  If they have the knowledge and training they get assigned the job of team field medic.
Phil Boylan, Maj, CAP
DCS, Rome Composite Sqdn - GA043
http://www.romecap.org/

MIKE

Alter your course and return to topic or you will be locked.
Mike Johnston

John Bryan

Quote from: Eclipse on February 05, 2008, 03:38:58 AM

As to the prohibition on cadets seeing "ickyness", I agree, as said the rules are not based on the exception, and for every Doogie Houser M.D., there are 500 kids in camo who will be negatively effected seeing death caused by impact trauma.

I am constantly surprised to see how many high school kids have never been to a wake, let alone an accident scene.

The one Doogie Houser and the hundreds of 16 and 17 yr old life guards working in state and federal parks/beaches, the hundreds of  18 and 19 year old volunteer firefighters all over America.....I am not sure everyone knows the "rule" ....anyway...sorry for being off topic, I made my point and will drop it