Out of State SAREX

Started by dhon27, January 07, 2008, 10:18:38 PM

dhon27

I would appreciate any guidance on this.  We have a cadet who recently transferred into our Squadron from a bordering state, where he still lives (i.e. he lives in PA, but transferred from a PA unit to a NJ unit).  He would like to attend an upcoming SAREX in PA.  The issue is: Does he have to get permission from either Wing CC to attend an "out of state" activity?  I believe, but don't have a regulatory cite, that if you want to attend an out of state activity, you need to get one or both Wing CC's permission.  If this is correct (and I'm not sure that its is), since he's now a NJ Wing member, does he have to get approval to attend an event in PA?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

BlackKnight

If the cadet is under 18, then he's considered a minor and someone needs to make the appropriate "supervisory arrangements" as to which team leader will be responsible for him. 

As for notifying the wing commanders, that's generally a courtesy, depending on the nature of the excursion.  My squadron's ground team recently had the opportunity to participate in a SAREX in an adjacent wing.  Everything went fine. We received authorization to attend from the SAREX project officer. We then notified our chain of command we were attending, but we didn't formally ask for permission.  We also didn't take any wing assets across state lines.  If you take a CAP aircraft, or vehicle, or specialized communications equipment outside the wing, obviously you should ask/notify wing HQ so that in the event the asset is suddenly needed for an emergency they'll know where it is and how to recall it.

Phil Boylan, Maj, CAP
DCS, Rome Composite Sqdn - GA043
http://www.romecap.org/

Eclipse

If he's in a NJ unit, then as far as CAP is concerned he's not from out of state, and (to my chagrin), its been made clear to me on several occasions that CAP has no specific authority or responsibility with regards to in and out bound transport during missions. (though some states have policy letters or supplements).

So I would be concerned on a "loco parentis" basis to make sure that the cadet is safe getting to and from, but you wouldn't need to notify the NJ CC because he's one of NJ's people.

Quote from: BlackKnight on January 07, 2008, 10:59:59 PMIf you take a CAP aircraft, or vehicle, or specialized communications equipment outside the wing, obviously you should ask/notify wing HQ so that in the event the asset is suddenly needed for an emergency they'll know where it is and how to recall it.

I believe in most Wings you need formal permission to remove vehicles from the state, air or ground.

"That Others May Zoom"

ZigZag911

The way you describe it, even though he is remaining in his state of residence, the training is outside his "state of membership".

In theory, at least, this requires approval of both wing CCs.....normal approach is through the chain of command.....for something like this, email should suffice.

Eclipse

OK - re-read, there were so many flips I got lost.

Yes, I would say that he needs his unit CC's approval, and the unit CC should send a message up the chain to request authorization.

"That Others May Zoom"