Main Menu

EMT-B Course

Started by NewWaveKiller, December 31, 2007, 07:55:24 PM

NewWaveKiller

As I turn 16 on 24JAN08, I plan on attending the EMT-B course this February. I already have the money for the course fee, but I am trying to find the best deal on the text and workbook. The material is AAOS 9th Edition Emergency Care and Transportation of the Sick and Injured (Published by Jones and Bartlett). If anyone could direct me to a site with reasonable prices for the text and workbook, besides Amazon or Ebay, it would be greatly appreciated.
Pennsylvania Wing
Group 6
Squadron 123
C/SSgt Rapone

Stonewall

I think the last time I did a refresher, 2 years ago, we were on Version 7 or something.  I used my previous edition from 4 years prior and only a couple things were different.  If you can, get the exact book required for the course.  But if you can find the previous version, it can work as it worked for me.  Remember, mine was a 36 hour refresher course, not the full-blown thing.
Serving since 1987.

Hoser

I would try Alibris.com.  I bought a used text for $50.00 there when the college bookstore was selling the same one for $94.00 used. Not the AAOS book but they should have it. Good luck with your course

Hoser

fyrfitrmedic

Quote from: NewWaveKiller on December 31, 2007, 07:55:24 PM
As I turn 16 on 24JAN08, I plan on attending the EMT-B course this February. I already have the money for the course fee, but I am trying to find the best deal on the text and workbook. The material is AAOS 9th Edition Emergency Care and Transportation of the Sick and Injured (Published by Jones and Bartlett). If anyone could direct me to a site with reasonable prices for the text and workbook, besides Amazon or Ebay, it would be greatly appreciated.

Don't rule out eBay completely; I tend to restock my personal EMS library from time to time via that route.

You could try Alibris or ABEbooke or Powell's as well.

Isn't the cost of the book built into the course?
MAJ Tony Rowley CAP
Lansdowne PA USA
"The passion of rescue reveals the highest dynamic of the human soul." -- Kurt Hahn

Stonewall

Quote from: fyrfitrmedic on December 31, 2007, 10:30:00 PM

Not always, especially if you're going through a community college.  It's just another college course.
Serving since 1987.

fyrfitrmedic

Quote from: Stonewall on December 31, 2007, 10:41:23 PM
Quote from: fyrfitrmedic on December 31, 2007, 10:30:00 PM

Not always, especially if you're going through a community college.  It's just another college course.

Good point.

I've gotten used to teaching at county training centers and technical schools where the text and materials costs are built-in and completely forgot.
MAJ Tony Rowley CAP
Lansdowne PA USA
"The passion of rescue reveals the highest dynamic of the human soul." -- Kurt Hahn

SAR-EMT1

Im just stunned that there is a state willing to allow a 16 year old to be an EMT. I dont agree with it on several grounds the top four being: liability (the EMT is a minor), lack of life experience, lack of driving experience, lack of maturity.

- No offense to Mr Wavekiller... its just... wow
C. A. Edgar
AUX USCG Flotilla 8-8
Former CC / GLR-IL-328
Firefighter, Paramedic, Grad Student

stillamarine

I've seen a few states that allow you to be 16 and be an EMT, a FF1, heck lets not forget it's 16 for a PPL if I recall correctly.
Tim Gardiner, 1st LT, CAP

USMC AD 1996-2001
USMCR    2001-2005  Admiral, Great State of Nebraska Navy  MS, MO, UDF
tim.gardiner@gmail.com

Stonewall

"A" state?  I think several states allow 16 year olds.  I say that without research but I know FL, VA and WV all do and I've heard of several 16 year old cadets earning their EMT badge in CAP.

I tend to agree with you, but looking back, when I was 17 I got first responder qualified.  Irrelevant to the level of care you could provide, the mere fact that I was able to be a Jr. Firefighter and go on medical calls was the issue I have now, not then.  Meaning, at age 16, you can be an EMT and Jr. FF and see everything the real deal guys see.  Perhaps something a 16 year old shouldn't be involved with.   That said, cadets of all ages take part in SAR/ES.  We never ever know what a simple ELT mission will turn out to be in the end.

Just checked Florida's EMS site and could not find a minimum age requirement for EMT.  NREMT minimum age is 18.  If some states require NREMT certification, then it's a moot point in that it automatically calls for the candidate to be 18.
Serving since 1987.

SARMedTech

No way a 16 year old should be an EMT, anywhere, for any reason. To the Paramedics out there, do you want a 16 year old who has had his DL for 3 months driving Code 3 as you are trying to needle de-compress a pneumo. Probably not. Also, anyone who is still in high school has to many other things that they MUST worry about to be involved in the saving of lives. And has been stated, there is a reason why we dont allow cadets to approach crash sites. My last MVC was a car fire with my patients still inside. Does a 16 year old need to see that? I dont really think they do. You have plenty of time to get screwed up in the head from things you experience in life as an EMT...you dont need to be half crackers before you turn 18. "Hey Jimmy what did you do this weekend? We all went hiking as a class"  Well, Jimmy says "I tried to do CPR but the head and the body werent in the same place."

High school students as EMTs, especially if they end up working for a volunteer service leads to students getting toned out in the middle of class. A 16 year old has one job and that is graduating from high school. In IMERT, we dont allow members to join the team until they are 21. There is a good reason for this. After all, we are just a great big EMS circus on wheels.

My suggestion is to take your MFR course first, get good first aid skills and in two years become an EMT. Are you really ready to have someone live or die depending on what you do or dont do? Most 16 year olds are not.
"Corpsman Up!"

"...The distinct possibility of dying slow, cold and alone...but you also get the chance to save lives, and there is no greater calling in the world than that."

Stonewall

Quote from: SARMedTech on January 04, 2008, 02:43:01 PM
No way a 16 year old should be an EMT, anywhere, for any reason. To the Paramedics out there, do you want a 16 year old who has had his DL for 3 months driving Code 3 as you are trying to needle de-compress a pneumo. Probably not.

While some states may allow for a 16 y/o to be an EMT, I don't know of a single state that would allow anyone under 18 to be EVOC qualified.  Think that's a non-issue.

High school students as EMTs, especially if they end up working for a volunteer service leads to students getting toned out in the middle of class.

I've never heard of a 16 year old being anything more than a Junior Firefighter.  Not saying there aren't VFDs that allow them to be volunteers at that age, but I've never heard of any.  And I'm pretty sure no high school would allow a pager be on in class, let alone some 11th grader hauling balls out of class in his fire engine red hyundai with dash-laser light off to some elderly lady who accidentally pressed her I've fallen and I can't get up button.
Serving since 1987.

SARMedTech

Quote from: Stonewall on January 04, 2008, 03:05:12 PM
No way a 16 year old should be an EMT, anywhere, for any reason. To the Paramedics out there, do you want a 16 year old who has had his DL for 3 months driving Code 3 as you are trying to needle de-compress a pneumo. Probably not.

While some states may allow for a 16 y/o to be an EMT, I don't know of a single state that would allow anyone under 18 to be EVOC qualified.  Think that's a non-issue.

High school students as EMTs, especially if they end up working for a volunteer service leads to students getting toned out in the middle of class.

I've never heard of a 16 year old being anything more than a Junior Firefighter.  Not saying there aren't VFDs that allow them to be volunteers at that age, but I've never heard of any.  And I'm pretty sure no high school would allow a pager be on in class, let alone some 11th grader hauling balls out of class in his fire engine red hyundai with dash-laser light off to some elderly lady who accidentally pressed her I've fallen and I can't get up button.

There are quite a few rural schools in my area that let high schools students leave when they get toned. Also, EVOC isnt required here in IL. Ive taken it but its not mandatory. Kind of like LZ Safety Certification
"Corpsman Up!"

"...The distinct possibility of dying slow, cold and alone...but you also get the chance to save lives, and there is no greater calling in the world than that."