My Utility Uniform Proposal

Started by Stonewall, December 29, 2007, 03:23:59 PM

Which utility/field uniform should CAP have?

Stonewall's option for everyone
72 (48%)
Keep BDUs & BBDUs
31 (20.7%)
Hold out for ABUs
47 (31.3%)

Total Members Voted: 150

notaNCO forever

Quote from: mikeylikey on February 06, 2008, 07:57:43 PM
Quote from: Dragoon on February 06, 2008, 07:39:45 PM
For example, if the uniform question is "What about ME?" then I naturally want to wear whatever makes me look the best, and impresses others with my incredible studliness.

Actually I want to wear whatever makes me look sexier.  I am sure that is what is subconsciously going through many members minds as well.  Sexier=taken more seriously, Taken more seriously=feel better about ones self, feeling better about ones self=Awesome!

Too true

Tags - MIKE

Dragoon

Quote from: mikeylikey on February 06, 2008, 07:57:43 PM
Quote from: Dragoon on February 06, 2008, 07:39:45 PM
For example, if the uniform question is "What about ME?" then I naturally want to wear whatever makes me look the best, and impresses others with my incredible studliness.

Actually I want to wear whatever makes me look sexier.  I am sure that is what is subconsciously going through many members minds as well.  Sexier=taken more seriously, Taken more seriously=feel better about ones self, feeling better about ones self=Awesome!

Everybody now: "I'm too sexy for my blues..."  :-)

I think you're right on the thought process.

The part they're screwing up is "sexier = taken more seriously."  This isn't always the case.    It is if you're the only guy present in uniform, but if you're part of a group.......your individual sexiness matters a heck of a lot less than the total sexiness of the group.  And THAT'S where uniformity becomes important.

It's the difference between a costume (me, Me, ME) and a uniform (US).

mikeylikey

^ Your right, Group Sexiness is FAR better than individual sexiness. 

That is our culture though.  The guy wearing the Prada suit at IBM  will be noticed over the guy wearing the Sears special.  (nothing wrong with Sears suits, my first suits were from Sears.....now I buy them at KMART  8)  )
What's up monkeys?

RiverAux

Yes, I do think the military uniform is an important aspect of CAP, both for its historic connotations, and for our current relationship with our parent service.  I guess I'm just radical that way. 

Hawk200

Quote from: mikeylikey on February 06, 2008, 10:34:14 PMThat is our culture though.  The guy wearing the Prada suit at IBM  will be noticed over the guy wearing the Sears special.  (nothing wrong with Sears suits, my first suits were from Sears.....now I buy them at KMART  8)  )

You own a suit?

I guess maybe I should consider one. Maybe after I get back from the sandbox. No sense rushing in to things...

;D

mikeylikey

^ You Sir need to get one of those Iraqi/Afgh tailors to build you a suit.  They run super cheap over there.  Best 75 bucks I ever spent on a suit. 

And for the record, I am more of a sweatshirt to work kind of guy.  Most days you will find me in my PT clothes well into 1500.  I teach in them, I eat lunch in them, I play on CAPTALK in them.  The only time I actually put ACU's on or a suit is when the Battalion Commander calls me up to his Office.  I find ROTC Land to be super lax, and I set the example that "Officers deserve to be comfortable all day long"  ;D
What's up monkeys?

SARMedTech

Quote from: Hawk200 on February 07, 2008, 03:43:35 AM
Quote from: mikeylikey on February 06, 2008, 10:34:14 PMThat is our culture though.  The guy wearing the Prada suit at IBM  will be noticed over the guy wearing the Sears special.  (nothing wrong with Sears suits, my first suits were from Sears.....now I buy them at KMART  8)  )

You own a suit?

I guess maybe I should consider one. Maybe after I get back from the sandbox. No sense rushing in to things...

;D

When are you headed over and in what MOS?
"Corpsman Up!"

"...The distinct possibility of dying slow, cold and alone...but you also get the chance to save lives, and there is no greater calling in the world than that."

Hawk200

Quote from: SARMedTech on February 07, 2008, 07:28:37 AM

In a few months.

MOS is 15T, Blackhawk mechanic. In training to be a crewcheif, but most likely will just be a door gunner. Hours of boredom, moments of sheer terror. At least we'll be getting those new cooling vests. From what I understand, all the water you drink you end up sweating out.

Upside is that the money I make will make college bills a lot easier.

mikeylikey

Quote from: Hawk200 on February 07, 2008, 05:01:53 PM
Quote from: SARMedTech on February 07, 2008, 07:28:37 AM

From what I understand, all the water you drink you end up sweating out.

Unless your in the AF.....then you work and live and eat in Air Conditioning ALL DAY LONG.  How jealous I was!

What's up monkeys?

Murph

I'm breaking my own rule of getting involved in online uniform discussions.

I was all about the ABU.  Now that I've seen it in person, a lot, I'm not so sure.  It's pretty hard on the eyes, and at the most basic level - the pants almost never match the blouse.  I have seen hundreds of Airman wearing this outfit, and in almost every case they have the "pink" pants and the "green" blouse, or vice versa.  Now I know everyone on this board would be sure to match tops and bottoms when making a purchase - I'm not sure that would apply to the entire organization.

Now on to my real point.  I am a dyed in the wool USAF supporter.  It's a family thing - if the USAF wanted me to sling chow to help them out, I probably would.  I missed my chance to actually join the AF so this is my way of serving - whether they see it that way or not.  All that being said, I think as an organization, we would come a long way if we simply had a uniform look.

I have yet to see a uniform that I would wear that I thought would meet those needs.

This is the one.

It still keeps with a "military" look (not a prison convict, grounds keeper, gum chewing Willy Wonka Character).  It is functional - something I think the ABU wouldn't be.  It's not camouflage, and it's not someone elses.  Hell, we could probably even apply those "subdued" tapes and badges everyone seems to be so interested in.  This is the FIRST uniform proposal that I think makes sense.

As for the cost.  Suck it up people - everything in this organization costs money.

Stonewall

^^What he said.  Several people in my squadron have mix-matched ABU top/bottoms and we ALL have nametapes that look like they were made for a different color ABU.  Instead of tan as one of the colors, our nametapes have a darker, almost brown, color.  And yes, it looks like crap.

Best part of my ABUs is the Oakley hot weather tan boots I wear with them.  I already cut out the inside liner/pocket that doubled the already very thick material. 

ABU = I don't like.
Serving since 1987.

Stonewall

9 months have gone by.  I am just curious if anyone would change their vote.  I unlocked the poll so you can add or change your vote.
Serving since 1987.

JAFO78

Still makes seance to me.

Anyone, anyone.....
JAFO

Rob Sherlin

Well you also have to ask why we wear camouflage anyway. When you doing SAR or Disaster Relief, don't you want to be seen? I mean, the whole purpose for camouflage was to not be seen in combat. We don't do combat in CAP (well, maybe on these boards sometimes).
To fly freely above the earth is the ultimate dream for me in life.....For I do not wish to wait till I pass to earn my wings.

Rob Sherlin SM, NER-NY-116

notaNCO forever

I believe the required orange vest resolves the visibility problem on GT missions.

Rob Sherlin

I know the orange vest remedies the uniform as far as visibility, but why did they choose a uniform that's camouflage instead of something else?
To fly freely above the earth is the ultimate dream for me in life.....For I do not wish to wait till I pass to earn my wings.

MSgt Van

I imagine the main motivator for using camo is the surplus availability issue. I like Stonewall's version; reminds me of my fav - the OD perm press fatigues.  I hated the cotton fatigues, and I put off wearing BDU's as long as I could.

Rob Sherlin

I think the OD's are great too. I was just curious as to why they chose the camouflage. But, the surplus issue makes sense (there's positively a lot of 'em)...thanks!

davidsinn

Quote from: Rob Sherlin on November 13, 2008, 05:12:32 PM
I think the OD's are great too. I was just curious as to why they chose the camouflage. But, the surplus issue makes sense (there's positively a lot of 'em)...thanks!

It's really quite simple. It's what the Air Force wears.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

Quote from: davidsinn on November 13, 2008, 05:32:01 PM
Quote from: Rob Sherlin on November 13, 2008, 05:12:32 PM

It's really quite simple. It's what the Air Force wears.

Exactly, but at the same time the Surplus issue is also key.  Right now while the Air Force does still wear some BDU's the ABU is becoming the standard choice.   As it will be for us down the road.  But when the BDU came out we didn't get that right away, it went back to the surplus issue of the OD Uniforms. 

1st Lt Ricky Walsh, CAP
Boston Cadet Squadron
NER-MA002 SE, AEO & ESO