My Utility Uniform Proposal

Started by Stonewall, December 29, 2007, 03:23:59 PM

Which utility/field uniform should CAP have?

Stonewall's option for everyone
72 (48%)
Keep BDUs & BBDUs
31 (20.7%)
Hold out for ABUs
47 (31.3%)

Total Members Voted: 150

SStradley

Quote from: afgeo4 on January 06, 2008, 04:03:28 AM
Have we resolved the issue of cold weather protection for this uniform? Are there manufacturers who will make the parka in this "pattern"?

Also... this uniform will be VERY expensive as it would be made solely for CAP use. We would not be tapping into a very large government contract which ends up fairly inexpensive for the end user.

This uniform is about the same cost as the BDU or BBDU, and it is available off the shelf today.  See the earler posts. (Stonewall posted better info while I was typing)

M-65s are available off the shelf in OD at this time, and I am sure that provision for extream cold weather gear is also available in OD.

I am all for this.
Scott Stradley Maj, CAP

"Duty is the sublimest word in the English language."  R.E. Lee

SARMedTech

Quote from: afgeo4 on January 06, 2008, 04:03:28 AM
Have we resolved the issue of cold weather protection for this uniform? Are there manufacturers who will make the parka in this "pattern"?

Also... this uniform will be VERY expensive as it would be made solely for CAP use. We would not be tapping into a very large government contract which ends up fairly inexpensive for the end user.

Funny you should say that as I was just thinking that you cant swing a dead cat without hitting an OD green M-65. Problem solved. I already have two of them in my closet. Also, since this is a "corporate" uniform, any fitting civilian ECW gear would be suitable. Get an OD Green or Black parka or cold weather coat from Cabelas, Gander Mountain, REI...the list goes on.

I suppose this happens with anything that people dont like, but the reasons that people are coming up with why the KBU wont work are just plain making things up. Could we wear this with it? Where would we get matching ECW gear. Just about every tactical or surplus store you find online has almost every item in a choice of black, woodlands, digitals of some sort, navy blue and black. I didnt feel like shelling out more money for and ECW coat for IMERT because I wear it for EMS with the "Emergency Medical Services" patch on the left and the reverse flag on the right. So...since we can wear black ECW with khaki BDUs, I just got one of the patches or velcro like you see on the ABU/ACU/KBU, took the patch off my coat sleeve, sewed the velcro square in it, had velcro stitched on the IMERT patch and the EMS patch and I carry both in an inside pocket. If I get called our for volly EMS, I slap that patch on their. If I get deployed for IMERT I stick the IMERT patch on the sleeve along with my "OS" (occupational specialty, just not military) rocker and we're good to go. For cool but not cold weather, find yourself a good anorak in OD or an OD windbreaker.
"Corpsman Up!"

"...The distinct possibility of dying slow, cold and alone...but you also get the chance to save lives, and there is no greater calling in the world than that."

sfdefender

I don't see why we couldn't wear the Woodland Gore-tex or even M-65 with the KBU for the time being. It wouldn't be great, but it wouldn't look terrible either.  Most soldiers still mix Woodland with ACU and granted it doesn't "look good" but when you are on the range all day during the winter, you are glad to have it regardless of what it looks like.

Stonewall

Quote from: sfdefender on January 06, 2008, 05:23:28 PM
I don't see why we couldn't wear the Woodland Gore-tex or even M-65 with the KBU for the time being. It wouldn't be great, but it wouldn't look terrible either.  Most soldiers still mix Woodland with ACU and granted it doesn't "look good" but when you are on the range all day during the winter, you are glad to have it regardless of what it looks like.

I agree with you on the woodland patter for a temporary fix.  I actually like the mix.  But for uniform purposes, I agree it would be acceptable for a set time period, then make OD outer garments mandatory, or as we currently do, strongly suggest OD outer garments, but accept anything that keeps you warm and dry.
Serving since 1987.

cap235629

QuoteIf one wishes to maintain a sense of uniformity with the BBDUs do they make a military style gore-tex in blue?

NO!

I have been looking everywhere!

The closest I can find is the foul weather jacket made for the Coast Guard, NOT CHEAP!
Bill Hobbs, Major, CAP
Arkansas Certified Emergency Manager
Tabhair 'om póg, is Éireannach mé

Stonewall

Quote from: cap235629 on January 07, 2008, 12:24:36 AM
QuoteIf one wishes to maintain a sense of uniformity with the BBDUs do they make a military style gore-tex in blue?

NO!

The closest I can find is the foul weather jacket made for the Coast Guard, NOT CHEAP!

Still haven't found a gore-tex, but here is a Navy Blue M-65 field jacket for $69.99 produced by our friends at Tru-Spec.

However, here is Galls Acrtic Field Coat in Navy.

But personally, if I were to wear BBDUs, I would fork out the money for this bad boy

But of course, I still say the KBU is the way to go  :)

Serving since 1987.

RiverAux

Stonewall

Quote from: RiverAux on January 07, 2008, 01:21:19 AM
I wonder just how badly this idea would get trounced in a poll on CadetStuff? 

Don't think they do polls over there but here's the thread.

Truthfully, I think a large majority of those who have responded over there have responded here.  Even if they didn't post, I know of 3 or 4 who have voted, for and against. 

Quote from: RiverAux on January 07, 2008, 01:21:19 AM
deleted

Too slow.
Serving since 1987.

RiverAux

Stonewall

FYI, for all the ABU folks out there, I tallied up the cost difference, excluding patches/insignia.

ABUs (with the cheapest boots):

$114 (boots)
$84 (ABU top/bottom)
=$204

$50 (average new pair of authorized black boots)
$80 (cost of TRU now, before a mass order discount for CAP)
=$130

$74 difference

I do agree that sage (AF gray/green) boots will come down in cost, but I think the cost for ABUs for CAP folks is way too high, even initially.

I'd be very happy if they let everyone into ABUs, but I doubt that'll happen.  That means, for all our members who are overweight or don't care to cut your hair and shave, ABUs won't even be an option for you.  You'll be required to wear an alternate uniform and that's my point of introducing one uniform for all members.
Serving since 1987.

Slim

What I've got that I wear with my BBDUs is a Wear Guard three season jacket in navy blue.  Other than a hidden hood, it looks very much like the ECWCS parka, but has a zip-out fleece liner, and features a 1" scotchlight band around each sleeve.  Water and wind resistant, and warm as all get out.

Honestly though, it was the uniform jacket for my former employer (AMR).  I'm not sure if they're even available to the general public.  My unit commander, another former AMR employee has one just like it, and we're the only BBDU wearers in the unit at present, so it's uniform for us.

I'm not sure if Wear Guard is even still in business, but they were a subsidiary or Aramark, which is also the parent company of Galls (that's where our uniforms came from).  If you're looking, Galls would be the best bet.

Slim

Hawk200

Guess I'll weigh in. Truth is, I don't care about the ACU. I guess I'm just at a point that I just wear what they give me, and learn to work with it.

In a perfect world, I would hold out for the ABU, and see if we could get an ABU pattern uniform in a gray color that fairly closely matches the appearance of the ABU. With the same tapes, badges and insignia, the appearance would be fairly uniform.

However, that perfect world, where all our members could afford anything, and money isn't an issue doesn't exist. I wouldn't do it for the same reason that I don't want to have to get corporate clothes. I've got perfectly serviceable stuff in my closet that the Air Force issued me, and I don't see any real reason to replace it. I wouldn't want to do that to anyone else either.

BDUs are pretty sturdy, and whichever color people have are going to be useful for a long while, considering how little we wear them in CAP. The uniformity seems to be an issue when they want others dressed like them. We can get along just fine with different colors. Don't remeber who said it on CAPTalk (wasn't me) but a uniform just buys you time til you can show your professionalism. We can all be dressed alike, but still be completely fractured when it comes to our ablilities.

I'm beginning to understand the viewpoints that we should be more concentrated on our qualifications with only a minimal focus on our appearance. The only focus we should have on our appearance should be proper uniform wear. There's a manual for that, and we need to be paying attention to it. Other than that, it shouldn't be an issue.

Stonewall

Okay, the horse has been beaten.

My guess, this uniform idea will not even be taken into consideration.

Here's the way I think it'll go....

Okay guys and gals, what do you think about that dumb Stonewall idea with his "KBU"?

Hahahahahahaaha....oh geez, colonel, you're a pill....hahahahahaha....

Out of 80 votes, just over 50% were in favor of the KBU.  Next in line was the option to hold out for the ABU, even though the cost is astronomical.
Serving since 1987.

Nathan

Quote from: Stonewall on January 11, 2008, 05:54:32 PM

When I'm National Commander, I'll consider your idea.
Nathan Scalia

The post beneath this one is a lie.

mikeylikey

Quote from: Nathan on January 12, 2008, 09:53:00 PM

I hope that is next week, as I am sure many have already purchased the KBU when they first saw the pics!   ;D
What's up monkeys?

NIN

Quote from: mikeylikey on January 13, 2008, 02:00:10 AM
I hope that is next week, as I am sure many have already purchased the KBU when they first saw the pics!   ;D

Heck, Vanguard has already had it on their website, removed it once, put it back up at a higher price from a lower quality supplier, and found a way to jack the shipping up while getting it to you only a week before its phase out date in favor of the ABU in 2015....

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
Wing Dude, National Bubba
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

mikeylikey

What's up monkeys?

SARMedTech

Quote from: mikeylikey on January 13, 2008, 02:00:10 AM
Quote from: Nathan on January 12, 2008, 09:53:00 PM

You mean I donated my camos to the cadets for nothing? And, maybe Im lost, but I thought KB was the National Commander. Glad I look good in OD.
"Corpsman Up!"

"...The distinct possibility of dying slow, cold and alone...but you also get the chance to save lives, and there is no greater calling in the world than that."

Stonewall

FYI... for those interested in switching over to the ABUs, the cheapest ABU gore-tex out there is about $299.  Back when BDU gore-tex jackets came out they were about $170 until the price lowered. 

Even if the ABU gore-tex price lowers, it isn't going to be under $200, ever.  So keep pushing for the ABU because unless you're rich or in the Air Force (ANG, AFRES) like me and get one free, you'll be forking out about $500 for ABUs, boots, and Gore-tex.  Heck, even the gore-tex ABU pants are at $150.
Serving since 1987.

Hawk200

Quote from: Stonewall on January 07, 2008, 12:47:39 AM
Quote from: cap235629 on January 07, 2008, 12:24:36 AM

NO!

Definitely not cheap. Here's a couple places:

http://www.galaxyarmynavy.com/search_gore_tex.asp

http://www.botachtactical.com/prallwesy.html

http://www.vtarmynavy.com/rain-gear.html

http://www.uspatriotstore.com/ProductInfo.aspx?productid=5406

http://www.securityprousa.com/prallwesybdu.html

The CG Foul Weather Parka seems to be essentially a Gen II Gore-Tex parka. The pockets seem to be slightly different, but the collar, cuffs, general pattern all seem to be the same. It even has a rank tab in the same location as the standard Gore-Tex.

Spendy, but it would work the same as any other military Gore-Tex.

There is what appears to be an accompanying PolarTec jacket (fleece) in blue that seems like it would be a pretty practical item. Might invest in one of the cheaper ones. Would probably look fairly decent with a BBDU.