ES (ICS) Checklists

Started by Ranger75, December 26, 2007, 03:56:44 PM

Ranger75

CAP Talk Members  --  Recently, I accepted the position of Wing Plans and Programs Officer.  One project I wanted to take on (in coordination with the A3 Section) is the development of Wing-standard checklists for the senior ICS positions manned during the conduct of a major ES mission.  I have completed an initial survey of the Web and found a number of sites that will be helpful, including the materials found  at CAWG's operations site.  I'm seeking additional sources to review.  I would welcome suggestions from readers on other sites or materials they would recommend I review.  Thanks for any assistance that may be forthcoming.  --  Regards

RiverAux

To some extent the AF document used for Mission Evaluations http://level2.cap.gov/visitors/member_services/publications/other_publications.cfm is a big checklist for all those positions, though not exactly in checklist format.

Personally, I wouldn't consider coming up with such checklists to be a great use of someone actually willing to be a plans and programs officer.  They're sort of nice, but aren't of great benefit.  I'm not sure what issues and problems are facing your Wing, but I'm sure that there is something out there more deserving of your hard work. 

Ranger75

RiverAux  --  The Plans and Programs Officer position on my Wing's staff has not been manned in the recent past.  In the "new" position, I'll be answering to the Wing CV, on the same organizational line as the A2, A3, and the group CCs.  As the position's responsibilities have been defined, I'll have a staff lead in coordinating staff actions, drafting and disseminating operational directives, and, to a lesser extent, executing major wing events and programs.  These could range from a major role in the Wing's ES exercise program to planning for the annual Wing glider flight operations program.  I expect the majority of my time will find me cloistered with the A2 and A3.

Although I grew up and completed the 'new' cadet program in the 70s, today, I find my focus on the ES/HS/operational side of the house.  Therefore, the position is a good fit for my current personal interests and past RM experiences.

The checklist project is one I am taking on under my own initiative.  I have observed a degree of confusion as CAP attempts to incorporate ICS into its past mode of operations.  Specifically, I have viewed important staff functions going undone, when individual staff members assumed that they fall to the purview of another staff element.  I am familiar with the checklists you refer to and have used them in preparation for the biannual USAF SAREVAL.  I find them painfully lacking in addressing the full range of command and staff responsibilities associated with a major mission.  My expectation is that a more detailed set of checklists, one that has been vetted through a series of wing-wide tabletop exercises, will serve the Wing well in the execution of actual missions and as a POI outline for the conduct of mission staff training.  I see this as a good multi-tasking project.  I can easily see myself doing most of the work at the computer, while at the same time paying peripheral attention to the 20th rerun of some John Wayne movie.   

sardak

The ICS Field Operations Guides (FOG) have checklists for each position.  A good generic guide is the draft one from FEMA/NIMS.

http://www.fema.gov/pdf/emergency/nims/erfog.pdf

Mike

Eclipse

These are the approved checklists for each position, as posted on NHQ's site.

They are very good and I have used them on several occasions.

http://cap.gov/documents/ES_Checklist_Guides.doc

"That Others May Zoom"

RiverAux

I knew those were around someplace and looked for them before posting.  I didn't see them anywhere in ES.  What page are they posted on?

Eclipse

They're on the NHQ Operations page (with a lot of other good stuff).

http://cap.gov/visitors/members/operations/

"That Others May Zoom"

Ranger75

All  --  Thanks for the suggestions.  I was not familiar with the FEMA publication and found useful information in it.  I have incorporated the checklists found on the National website in the initial drafts of my own checklists.  I find them valuable in establishing the framework for each individual checklist, but am seeking to go to greater detail.  Keep the recommendations coming.

RiverAux

Quote from: Eclipse on December 27, 2007, 02:22:30 AM
They're on the NHQ Operations page (with a lot of other good stuff).

http://cap.gov/visitors/members/operations/
Silly me -- thinking to look for ES checklists on the ES page.... I wish I was smart enough to hack into NHQ's web site to fix all these stupid issues. 

Eclipse

Its all about how you Google!  ;)

"That Others May Zoom"

Dustoff

Quote from: sardak on December 26, 2007, 10:16:31 PM
The ICS Field Operations Guides (FOG) have checklists for each position.  A good generic guide is the draft one from FEMA/NIMS.

http://www.fema.gov/pdf/emergency/nims/erfog.pdf

Mike

And I would strongly encourage any checklists to incorporate material from NIMS/ICS.  In order to promote interoperability (ie: working along side other organizations that are using NIMS/ICS), having everybody thinking/planning/operating along similar guidelines is paramount!

My $0.02

Jim
Jim

Ranger75

Jim  --  That's exactly the point that I am working toward.  My experience is that we (CAP) are putting the facade of ICS over our the standard way of doing business we have developed internally over the years.  We use the NIMS/ICS position titles, incorporate a number of new forms, and rename our operational locations, but are less than fully enthusiastic about re-aligning command and staff roles and responsibilities and subordinating our resources to another agency.  I'm hoping that completing this project and walking them in a series of table-top exercises involving the participation of our more experienced SAR types will move us toward a common understanding and appreciation for ICS.  The attendance of senior SAR/ES gurus at ICS 300/400, as MER has directed, will also have a significant impact.

Matt

Here's a site with quite a bit of information, that not many frequent...

During and post-Katrina the USCG got there "stuff" together, and really, they're the ones who know this system inside and out (even puts the writers to shame).  Hope this helps...

Really Long Linky
<a href=mailto:mkopp@ncr.cap.gov> Matthew Kopp</a>, Maj, CAP
Director of Information Technology
<a href=https://www.ncrcap.us.org> North Central Region</a>

RiverAux

I'd say most CAP ES members uses the formal ICS system more frequently than do the vast majority of CG members even though the CG actually currently requires more ICS training. 

This comparison holds up even better comparing CAP to CG Aux since CG Aux rarely operates in an ICS environment and if they do, it is only as single units reporting to somebody else.  While CAP hasn't really got on board with the formal training, we're constantly using ICS at all levels up to and including CAP Incident Commanders.