Entering OPSEC completion from a classroom training session

Started by Maj Ballard, December 09, 2007, 02:26:06 PM

Maj Ballard

We did an OPSEC class this past week, per the new requirements. For the life of me, I cannot find how to enter the data in Ops Quals. Can someone help me with the click path?
L. Ballard, Major, CAP

mmouw

You have to enter the OPSEC for each member. Each member has to log in and enter it themselves. National doesn't have ability to do a group entry as of yet, if ever. It doesn't take that much time if you do it right away. 
Mike Mouw
Commander, Iowa Wing

Maj Ballard

Yeah... That's not going to work for some of my brand new 12 year old cadets. :)

Ok, assuming I have all the appropriate data-entry and validation rights in Ops Quals, can I not enter this info?
L. Ballard, Major, CAP

jeders

To my understanding, no. Every member has to go in and agree to the non-disclosure agreement.
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

Eclipse

Quote from: Capt Ballard on December 09, 2007, 03:04:33 PM
Yeah... That's not going to work for some of my brand new 12 year old cadets. :)

Ok, assuming I have all the appropriate data-entry and validation rights in Ops Quals, can I not enter this info?

If you have OPSEC admin rights, or are a unit CC, you can enter them as a group - the instructions are in the same area as the rights area.

If you're not seeing this, you may need to check with your wing's WSA, as some wings do not grant anything as a blanket and you have to ask. (this is supposedly in process of being fixed, though I haven't seen anything on this lately).

"That Others May Zoom"

Tim Medeiros

WSAs cannot grant this authority, there is a section in Commanders Corner for them to enter up to 5 members as having the ability to enter OPSEC information.

Got this quote from Commanders Corner from a friend of mine:
QuoteStarting 1 April 2008, members who have not completed the OPSEC training will not be able to access eServices until it has been completed. The new section in Commander's Corner, "OPSEC Permissions", will allow you to assign up to 5 member's in your squadron to input the OPSEC training tasks into Operations Qualifications. When you first arrive at the page you will see the members in your squadron who currently have permissions to enter this task. To add another member, enter the CAPID or search by name of the member you would like to add. Once the search is complete click the "Add member to enter OPSEC training tasks" button. If your unit already has 5 members and would like to add another you will have to remove one of the members who currently have permissions to enter the task and then add the new member.
TIMOTHY R. MEDEIROS, Lt Col, CAP
Chair, National IT Functional User Group
1577/2811

Eclipse

PM sent to Capt Ballard.

Yes, the CC has to designate authority >below< him for his unit, but its possible he doesn't have it himself yet, which would be a wing WSA issue.

I was constantly be told to go "here or there" and do "x", and not seeing the menus, etc., only to find a bunch of restricted applications and rights had not been granted to me.

Mid-last-year there was talk about changing eservices to have rights to applications assigned by the duty assignment application, but I haven't seen much on this since the KB went down.

"That Others May Zoom"

Tim Medeiros

Wing/Region WSAs do not have the ability to grant anything that has to do with Commander's Corner.  You will have to call NHQ/IT in order for that to happen, or submit a support request to the eServices Help Desk.
TIMOTHY R. MEDEIROS, Lt Col, CAP
Chair, National IT Functional User Group
1577/2811

Eclipse

Quote from: timmed1577 on December 09, 2007, 05:17:38 PM
Wing/Region WSAs do not have the ability to grant anything that has to do with Commander's Corner.  You will have to call NHQ/IT in order for that to happen, or submit a support request to the eServices Help Desk.

I'll buy that - perhaps mine made the call, then.

All I know is that things didn't work, I asked my Wing WSA, and things started working...

"That Others May Zoom"

Al Sayre

We did it last night, after the class, we just lined them up and I had eservices with their CAPID's & SSN's pulled up, had them log in and do the NDA...
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

Stonewall

I'll be doing an OPSEC class for my squadron in early January.  Anyone got anything special they used to make the class interesting?  Or did you just use the OPSEC ppt from NHQ?

I've added my own touch to standard classes, maybe some cool "spooky" statistics, some high speed pictures, or some examples from real world OPSEC issues.  You know, don't want to re-invent the wheel if someone has already done th is.   :)
Serving since 1987.

mikeylikey

Quote from: Stonewall on December 11, 2007, 01:13:06 PM
I'll be doing an OPSEC class for my squadron in early January.  Anyone got anything special they used to make the class interesting?  Or did you just use the OPSEC ppt from NHQ?

I've added my own touch to standard classes, maybe some cool "spooky" statistics, some high speed pictures, or some examples from real world OPSEC issues.  You know, don't want to re-invent the wheel if someone has already done th is.   :)

Go here  -----> http://dodimagery.afis.osd.mil/davis/   SEARCH for "OPSEC" Order Vids/ training aids.  some are older, some are brand new.  As a military member, you should have no prob delivering either to your unit or residence.  If CAP wants it, it has to be sent either to Wing HQ or your unit Address.  (Because CAP unit addresses are usually a private residence, the lady there has no problem doing it).  The site also offers some AF produced videos on CAP. It really is neat.

NOTE:  it is all FREE, order limit is 10 items though!
What's up monkeys?

Stonewall

Serving since 1987.

Stonewall

Disregard, the 3 that I ordered aren't cleared for public distribution so I can't show them to CAP.  I've seen a couple, they didn't seem to have anything that looked secret to me.  Oh well.  I'll look through their archives.
Serving since 1987.

mikeylikey

^ When the order shows up in your email, there will be a email address to post questions to.  Shoot an email and state what vids you will be showing to CAP members.  At Davis, they consider CAP to be a DoD organization, all the way down to the local SQD.  The woman will then send a form email back stating something like "you are cleared to show to CAP members the following......".

Print it out and save, just in case someone comes to question.
What's up monkeys?

Stonewall

Quote from: mikeylikey on December 13, 2007, 02:51:56 AM
^ When the order shows up in your email, there will be a email address to post questions to.  Shoot an email and state what vids you will be showing to CAP members. 

In the "remarks" section of the order form I explained that it was for CAP. 

Here is what she emailed me:

You can only receive products that are cleared for the Public to
show to Civil Air Patrol members.  Anything not cleared for public
exhibition cannot be shown to them.

Problem is, under the OPSEC section, nothing was noted as being "cleared for public exhibition".
Serving since 1987.

AlphaSigOU

Also try the Interagency OPSEC Support Staff (www.ioss.gov) - I've had no problem ordering some of their products online. And they're free.
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040