Main Menu

Sheep, Sheepdog, or Wolf?

Started by CadetProgramGuy, November 29, 2007, 11:31:36 AM

CadetProgramGuy

I was handed this letter by a co-worker.  I actually felt a connection to what was written.

http://hobbes.ncsa.uiuc.edu/onsheepwolvesandsheepdogs.html

flyguy06

Wow. Another "9=11" story. The world was sooooo peachy before 9-11

Smokey

Lt Col Grossman is a friend of mine.  If you can ever attend one of his lectures, do so...he will keep you spellbound.   No falling asleep during his presentation. He is very dynamic----no boring powerpoint stuff here.

He authored a few books worth getting...."On Killing" "On Combat" "Stop Teaching Our Kids to Kill"

He lectures for the military and law enforcement.

Good info
If you stand for nothing, you will fall for anything.
To err is human, to blame someone else shows good management skills.

JohnKachenmeister

I read this before.  Since I have retired, I had become sloppy in my usual habit of always carrying a weapon when I went out.  After reading this essay, I now never fail to be ready for an armed confrontation.

I carry a weapon unless I know it is prohibited, AND I know I will be searched.

Beyond simply carrying a weapon, one has to maintain tactical alertness, and constantly plan for contingencies.  My wife whines that I never look at her when she talks, but that is usually because I'm always watching people around me.  For the same reason, I never sit with my back to an outside door in a restaurant.

Leaving Wal-Mart one night, I saw some people loitering in the parking lot.  Without even thinking, I guided my wife to my left side, put my hand in my pocket and gripped my .38 in readiness.  She didn't even notice the precaution, and did not see any threat.  I, on the other hand, had already made a plan to kill the loiterers if they had chosen us old people as targets for their attack.
Another former CAP officer

JCW0312

Quote from: JohnKachenmeister on November 29, 2007, 02:20:05 PM
My wife whines that I never look at her when she talks, but that is usually because I'm always watching people around me.  For the same reason, I never sit with my back to an outside door in a restaurant.

I understand completely. A few years ago when I first became a cop, my wife would complain about my carrying a concealed weapon everywhere I went. In the past few years of hearing story after story of incidents I have either been involved in or taken a report on afterwards, she seems to be forming somewhat of an understanding. She is finally starting to come around to my suggestion of receiving training and carrying legally herself.

The sheep analogy has been around for a long time, but always rings true. Denial is a dangerous thing. I personally had never read this essay, but thanks CadetProgramGuy for sharing it.
Jon Williams, 2d Lt, CAP
Memphis Belle Memorial Squadron
SER-TN-144

jimmydeanno

...I, on the other hand, had already made a plan to kill the loiterers if they had chosen us old people as targets for their attack.

Never mess with old people...LINKY
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

JCW0312

Quote from: jimmydeanno on November 29, 2007, 03:09:08 PM
...I, on the other hand, had already made a plan to kill the loiterers if they had chosen us old people as targets for their attack.

Never mess with old people...LINKY

Sweet. I love a good story!
Jon Williams, 2d Lt, CAP
SER-TN-144

Falshrmjgr

Quote from: Smokey on November 29, 2007, 01:44:15 PM
Lt Col Grossman is a friend of mine.  If you can ever attend one of his lectures, do so...he will keep you spellbound.   No falling asleep during his presentation. He is very dynamic----no boring powerpoint stuff here.

He authored a few books worth getting...."On Killing" "On Combat" "Stop Teaching Our Kids to Kill"

He lectures for the military and law enforcement.

Good info

He was my TAC for Platoon attack at Advanced Camp, many moons ago...

(and yes, that was the genesis for the sig line....)
Jaeger

"Some say there are only wolves, sheep, and sheepdogs in the world.  They forget the feral sheep."

Major Lord

When I was first married, my wife used to complain about my carrying a gun. Now when we go out, she will ask me if if I have my "little friend" . After years of being around me, she has not become a sheepdog, but she sure as hell has become a lot more of a heads-up sheep! I like her that way. Not everyone can or should try to be a sheepdog. I remember a quote, but not the author: " God does not choose the qualified, he qualifies the chosen".

Major Lord
"The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee."

Briski

I'm a sheepdog who wears a sheepskin coat.
JACKIE M. BRISKI, Capt, CAP
VAWG Cadet Programs Team

...not all those who wander are lost...

Walkman

I'll admit that my sheepdog-ness has lessened in the past two years, the consequence of living in the safest metro area of the country (voted 3 times in the past 10 years according to crime stats).

I had this discussion on another martial arts board, about the fact that I'm not really into the combat aspect of MA anymore and more into the physical "art" aspect. One thing that came to me during this discussion, though, was that as an older "sheepdog", I have a responsibility to help train a new generation of sheepdogs to take over. I have 5 children who are growing up in a more dangerous world than I did. That means that my duty is to help them to not be sheep, and if they want, to prepare them to be sheepdogs. So every once in a while, I'll teach a self-defense course, or do some boxing with the boy scouts. My two oldest and I are going to be enrolling in a new MA school later this spring (gotta' clear some time on the calendar first).

I think the that cadet program, while not focusing on the combat arts, is a great preparation for upcoming warriors and guardians.

JohnKachenmeister

Quote from: Major Lord on November 29, 2007, 03:52:23 PM
When I was first married, my wife used to complain about my carrying a gun. Now when we go out, she will ask me if if I have my "little friend" . After years of being around me, she has not become a sheepdog, but she sure as hell has become a lot more of a heads-up sheep! I like her that way. Not everyone can or should try to be a sheepdog. I remember a quote, but not the author: " God does not choose the qualified, he qualifies the chosen".

Major Lord

Mod edit: Inappropriate. - MIKE

Another former CAP officer

fyrfitrmedic

Quote from: JohnKachenmeister on November 30, 2007, 02:49:48 PM
Quote from: Major Lord on November 29, 2007, 03:52:23 PM

Major Lord

Mod edit: Inappropriate. - MIKE

MAJ Tony Rowley CAP
Lansdowne PA USA
"The passion of rescue reveals the highest dynamic of the human soul." -- Kurt Hahn

CadetProgramGuy

Quote from: JCW0312 on November 29, 2007, 02:58:59 PM
My wife whines that I never look at her when she talks, but that is usually because I'm always watching people around me.  For the same reason, I never sit with my back to an outside door in a restaurant.

I understand completely. A few years ago when I first became a cop, my wife would complain about my carrying a concealed weapon everywhere I went. In the past few years of hearing story after story of incidents I have either been involved in or taken a report on afterwards, she seems to be forming somewhat of an understanding. She is finally starting to come around to my suggestion of receiving training and carrying legally herself.

The sheep analogy has been around for a long time, but always rings true. Denial is a dangerous thing. I personally had never read this essay, but thanks CadetProgramGuy for sharing it.

Very Welcome. I haven't decided if I have yet coverted from the "Head's Up Sheep" or the Sheep dog.  I am happy to anncounce that my Wolf days are long over.

brasda91

Be thankful your wife isn't like mine.  She is the classic sheep.  She doesn't think anybody should carry a gun "just because".  She has even said that if police officers aren't required to carry off duty, they shouldn't.  She believes that whatever happens, was supposed to happen.  We have fought over this for years.  If I carry concealed with her, I have to do so without her knowledge.  So, usually I don't carry, just to keep from having an argument.  No amount of trying to convince her will work.  Most of the time she doesn't even want to discuss it.

The ironic thing is, I work at the only uranium enrichment plant in the country as a Security Police Officer and I carry a Glock and M-16 on duty.  ???  Go figure.
Wade Dillworth, Maj.
Paducah Composite Squadron
www.kywgcap.org/ky011

JCW0312

Quote from: brasda91 on December 02, 2007, 12:56:54 PM
So, usually I don't carry, just to keep from having an argument.  No amount of trying to convince her will work. 

Unfortunately, in situations like this, you might not be the one to convince her. A "wolf" will have to do it. If you're lucky, that day will never come for either of you.
Jon Williams, 2d Lt, CAP
SER-TN-144

afgeo4

Another fact for  the claimed statistic...

Violence against illegal unreported immigrants is reported and does count for the statistic while the victims aren't counted into the number of US residents, thus, there are MANY more residents in the US than 300,000 and since so many of these aliens are crime victims, there is less crime being committed against actual, legal US residents.
GEORGE LURYE

Flying Pig

My mother in law is the same way.  It is a result of her complete denial of how evil people can be.  She lives in her little community in San Luis Obispo Ca. (Nice area by the way) and goes to her art classes and to her walks along the beach.  I dont think she wants anyone shattering her peaceful view of the world she lives in.

I have often said that there are  few people who have earned the right to see the world for what it is.

You know, I am glad I can help her live in her world.  She knows the deal, she just chooses to look the other way.  She has made comments about me carrying my off duty gun, which I always do, and my wife shuts her down every time.

jb512

Quote from: brasda91 on December 02, 2007, 12:56:54 PM
Be thankful your wife isn't like mine.  She is the classic sheep.  She doesn't think anybody should carry a gun "just because".  She has even said that if police officers aren't required to carry off duty, they shouldn't.  She believes that whatever happens, was supposed to happen.  We have fought over this for years.  If I carry concealed with her, I have to do so without her knowledge.  So, usually I don't carry, just to keep from having an argument.  No amount of trying to convince her will work.  Most of the time she doesn't even want to discuss it.

The ironic thing is, I work at the only uranium enrichment plant in the country as a Security Police Officer and I carry a Glock and M-16 on duty.  ???  Go figure.

Not directed at your wife, just the sheep mentality...

People like that scare me when it comes to voting and juries for obvious reasons.

Off-duty cops and any person legally carrying are all part of what is "supposed to happen".  If they weren't, we'd all be victims.

JCW0312

Quote from: Flying Pig on December 03, 2007, 01:01:32 AM
My mother in law is the same way.  It is a result of her complete denial of how evil people can be.  She lives in her little community in San Luis Obispo Ca. (Nice area by the way) and goes to her art classes and to her walks along the beach.  I dont think she wants anyone shattering her peaceful view of the world she lives in.

I have often said that there are  few people who have earned the right to see the world for what it is.

You know, I am glad I can help her live in her world.  She knows the deal, she just chooses to look the other way.  She has made comments about me carrying my off duty gun, which I always do, and my wife shuts her down every time.

The thing about the denial is that these "sheep" are not only unprepared victims physically, but even more emotionally. As a cop in the most violent metro area (per the FBI's computations - http://www.commercialappeal.com/news/2007/sep/27/memphis-leads-us-in-violent-crime/ ), it amazes me how many people still have their heads in the sand. When you respond to a robbery or carjacking and the victims cannot believe it has happened to them. Yes, folks... it can happen to you.

Don't get me wrong, I know it is a traumatic experience for anyone, but you cannot keep telling yourself it will never happen to you. Wolves don't look for other wolves to prey on. They look for sheep. People who aren't prepared. The sad thing is, there are so many of these sheep who will never believe it unless it happens to them.

My wife is starting to come around, but she still has a ways to go. I guess when your husband comes home week in and week out and tells you about this sheep being robbed, this sheep being raped, etc. it slowly starts sinking in.

If the majority of law abiding citizens were to wake up to the problems in this world and go about arming themselves legally, violent crime would decrease dramatically. If a wolf knew that 6 or 7 sheep out of 10 were expecting him and had something waiting, he would think twice about his line of work. If he didn't, he wouldn't have a very long or successful career.

Fight fire with fire...
Jon Williams, 2d Lt, CAP
SER-TN-144