Senior member national special activities

Started by RiverAux, November 25, 2007, 02:50:06 AM

RiverAux

flyguy06

Quote from: Eclipse on November 25, 2007, 11:53:13 PM
I'm sorry, but the senior program exists for two reasons - ES and support of the cadet program.

Anything else stems from the above, and the sole purpose for the majority of senior members in this organization is ES activity.

You can read us the charter all day long, however the USAF would not provide us with the largest private fleet of aircraft just to "promote general aviation", nor for the sole purpose of orientation rides.

Seniors involved in the CP would already be attending or supporting existing NCSA's, and those not would be looking for ES-centric training or activities.

I am not trying to be argumentative at all. But Ithink its all in your perspective.

Its all good though

Eclipse

Not to mention the fact that it seems like we don't even know who we're arguing with!   :D

"That Others May Zoom"

flyguy06

O-Rex

Quote from: AlphaSigOU on November 25, 2007, 04:27:19 PM
NTC ARCHER Operator Course? Selection is currently very tight, considering that there's only 16 GA-8s (and associated ARCHER platforms) throughout CAP. I don't think that would fall under a 'special activity' per se.

Region/Wing King Charm School? Only if you get those coveted eagles...

Keep in mind that attendance to Cadet Special Acts is competitive. 

Nobody asked about "Senior Special Acts that anyone with a pulse can attend."  I was just listing what was out there.

In my book, if it's something out of the normal range of CAP training, at least three or four days in length that you have to travel to, then I see it as a special act.

And the more exclusive the acivity, the more "special" that special act is, no?

Eclipse

Yep - and doesn't the Archer school qualify as a SPEC-ACT in that the insignia can be worn in the same space as the NCSA space on the uniform?

"That Others May Zoom"

flyguy06

mikeylikey

no one has suggested anything yet!  I am pretty lame, I have nothing to suggest, but two pages now, I thought there would be at least one new school or activity idea. 
What's up monkeys?

Eclipse

Quote from: flyguy06 on November 26, 2007, 03:54:25 AM
I've never heard of the ARCHER school.

https://tests.cap.af.mil/ops/archer_training/archer_hsi_tech/index.cfm

Archer training is three steps.

1) Take and pass the online course - by no means a simple step, a lot of physics and advanced concepts regarding wave radiation, etc.

2) Receive approval by Wing and Region to attend the 4-day training at Maxwell.

3) Take and pass the 4-day course.

Just 1 & 2 kick most people.

"That Others May Zoom"

flyguy06

How do you get time off of work to attend a four day course.
Yeah, if physics is involved that one course that isnt in my future ;D

Eclipse

Quote from: flyguy06 on November 26, 2007, 06:13:37 AM
How do you get time off of work to attend a four day course.
Yeah, if physics is involved that one course that isnt in my future ;D

Vacation time, flex time, etc., considering NESA MAS for 2007.

"That Others May Zoom"

SAR-EMT1

If an idea for a  S/A for Seniors need be submitted, then let me unveil:
CAP COMMAND

This activity will have two Tracks: PENTAGON and MAXWELL
Each Two to Five Days in length.

TRACK ONE: Think the Cadet National Leadership Tour
Track one will house Seniors at the distinguished Andrews AFB. Members will dine at the Base Golf Course each morning to be followed with a bus ride to the Pentagon. There they will recieve a tour of the top offices of the USAF/USA/USN HQ Sections, and maybe see  the Communications Signals area / WarRoom/ Command Center.  Lunches will be at the Pentagon O-Club/ Officers Chow Hall. Tour Guided by Staff from CAP-USAF? As we will be overwhelmed by "Stars" an appearance by our own CAP Generals should be encouraged.
General Courter can then commense to arm wrestle an Air Force One Star.
Pictures may be taken showing the Senior Member seated at the Desk of the AF Chief of Staff. The SECAF may then be bombarded with requests for more funding. A bus ride to the Hill will then include a tour and bombarding Congress for fundage.
Dinner at the Capitol Chow Hall.
Other events: White House Tour, Arlington Cemetary, National Air and Space Museum.
Track two: Maxwell:
Members will be housed at Maxwell VOQ, recieve tour of NHQ, meet all of National Staff, get the chance to ask questions, mingle. Tour the CAP-USAF offices, meet the CAP-USAF /CC . Tour other Air University Buildings, maybe sit in on some lectures at one of the classes? - AWC/SOS etc... this might show the students how CAP could be a force multiplier within CONUS. etc...
Meals at Golf Course, O-Club Etc...
Round of Golf with NHQ staff etc.

SECOND S/A IDEA:

AF History Round Robin:
Seniors meet at location to be determined, DAY ONE: are USAF-airlifted to Washington DC for Tour of National Air and Space Museum. Guided by USAF Vets, and/or CAP National Historians. RON at Andrews AFB
DAY TWO: Airlifted to W/P AFB in Ohio for tour of USAF Museum by USAF veteran types OR CAP Historians. RON: Wright-Patterson
Day THREE: Airlifted to Davis Monthan AFB for tour of Boneyard. RON
Day Four: Airlifted to Cheyenne Mountain for tour of SAC and AF Academy
RON
Day FIVE: Go home.
C. A. Edgar
AUX USCG Flotilla 8-8
Former CC / GLR-IL-328
Firefighter, Paramedic, Grad Student

AlphaSigOU

Quote from: SAR-EMT1 on November 26, 2007, 09:00:12 AMDay Four: Airlifted to Cheyenne Mountain for tour of SAC and AF Academy

NORAD's inside Cheyenne Mountain. STRATCOM (what used to be SAC) is at Offutt AFB.
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

O-Rex

Looking at the posts, I really wonder what would be the purpose of the "Senior Special Activities."  I think more Seniors are geared more towards training activities than tours & luncheons.

Most of us are limited on vacation time, and have to make the days off we take for CAP count.

Nonetheless, any RON CAP outing is a great opportunity to get away from the usual grind and do what we like to do. 

BillB

SAR-EMT has good ideas for the activity. But I see several possible problems. First USAF airlift is almost a thing of the past. While HQ CAP-USAF may be able to get a C-130 long enough for activities he mentions, chances are minimal. And how many C-130's would be required to pick up members throughout the country? If airlift is unavailable. the cost of air fare, plus VOQ at $26 a night plus meals means about $1000 out of pocket for any four day activity. And when I tried a couple of years ago to get BOQ/VOQ rooms at W/P in Ohio, I was told that they are not available for CAP due to the limited number of rooms.
The Maxwell trip probably would be best for the average CAP member since most have no idea what happens in that building on S. Haskell (I had 4 wisdom teeth pulled in that building when it was base hospital) It would give the average member an insight as to how CAP-USAF and the corporate offices actually work.
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

SAR-EMT1

Quote from: AlphaSigOU on November 26, 2007, 12:12:22 PM
Quote from: SAR-EMT1 on November 26, 2007, 09:00:12 AMDay Four: Airlifted to Cheyenne Mountain for tour of SAC and AF Academy

NORAD's inside Cheyenne Mountain. STRATCOM (what used to be SAC) is at Offutt AFB.

You are right of course, its just that in my mind they are one and the same.
C. A. Edgar
AUX USCG Flotilla 8-8
Former CC / GLR-IL-328
Firefighter, Paramedic, Grad Student