Two Killed in CAP Aircraft Accident

Started by SJFedor, November 09, 2007, 01:44:11 PM

SJFedor

Got an email this morning noting that the NVWG/CC Col. Dion DeCamp and former PACR/CC Col. Ed Lewis were killed in a CAP aircraft crash last night.

Thoughts and prayers to the family  :(

Steven Fedor, NREMT-P
Master Ambulance Driver
Former Capt, MP, MCPE, MO, MS, GTL, and various other 3-and-4 letter combinations
NESA MAS Instructor, 2008-2010 (#479)

capmaj

Has this been conformed any where else?

capmaj

A tragic loss for aviation in general and CAP in particular. Ed came across as a crusty old S.O.B., but he truly loved flying and CAP!

May he rest well.

jimmydeanno

Another sad day in CAP - my thoughts and prayers go out to their families during this time.

This does raise some concern for me however.  This is the second fatal CAP crash in a 3 month period of time, what is going on?  I truly hope that this doesn't become a frequent occurance...
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

RiverAux

Unfortuanetely, one or two fatal accidents per year is about the norm for CAP. 

Nomex Maximus

While I understand that NHQ will provide details when they know them, does anyone know what they were out doing last night? Was there a mission going on? What airplane were they flying? Where were they flying from or to? Take off, landing or enroute accident?
Nomex Tiberius Maximus
2dLT, MS, MO, TMP and MP-T
an inspiration to all cadets
My Theme Song

capmaj

There also doesn't seem to be any info on the Nevada news sites I have checked.

Eeyore

Here is the email that I got, it gives a little bit of detail.

"From: XXX
Date: Fri, 9 Nov 2007 09:39:27 EST
Subject: CAWG CAP- Tragic Aircraft Accident in Pacific Region
To: XXX

It is with great sadness that I must inform you that Civil Air Patrol has lost two of its valuable members in an aircraft accident last evening, Col Ed Lewis, PACR and Col Dion DeCamp, NVWG Commander. They were on a flight from Nellis AFB, Nevada to Rosamond California and crashed at approximately 1915 hrs PST near Mt Potosi, Nevada.

Please put both of them and their families in your thoughts and prayers. More info will follow when it becomes available.

Larry Myrick"

dhon27

From FAA:

IDENTIFICATION
  Regis#: 881CP        Make/Model: C182      Description: 182, Skylane
  Date: 11/08/2007     Time: 0315

Event Type: Accident   Highest Injury: Fatal     Mid Air: N 
  Missing: N
  Damage: Destroyed

City: LAS VEGAS   State: NV   Country: US

DESCRIPTION
  AIRCRAFT CRASHED INTO A MOUNTAIN, THE TWO PERSONS ON BOARD WERE
FATALLY
  INJURED, 12 MILES FROM LAS VEGAS, NV

INJURY DATA      Total Fatal:   2
                 # Crew:   2     Fat:   2     Ser:   0     Min:   0   
Unk:   
                 # Pass:   0     Fat:   0     Ser:   0     Min:   0   
Unk:   
                 # Grnd:         Fat:   0     Ser:   0     Min:   0   
Unk:   

WEATHER: KLAS 090245Z 10SM FEW180 BKN250 33/M01 A2995

OTHER DATA
  Activity: Unknown      Phase: Unknown      Operation: OTHER

FAA FSDO: LAS VEGAS, NV  (WP19)                 Entry date:
11/09/2007

california IC

To all...it is still early and the facts will come together slowly.  Col. Lewis brought the Airvan from Los Angeles to NV for an airshow this weekend.  Ed and Dion than were to return in a  CAP G1000 C182 for the CAWG conference this weekend.  I understand that they were going to stop near where Ed works at Edwards AFB.  It was after dark near Mt. Potosi southwest of Las Vegas.  Both of these gentlemen were high hour professional pilots.  One story in the media says there may have been a fuel problem, really still to early to know if that is true.
What is known is that these were two really great guys and will both be missed.
Bob Keilholtz

Nomex Maximus

Gee... that sure is going to be one sad conference now.

Nomex Tiberius Maximus
2dLT, MS, MO, TMP and MP-T
an inspiration to all cadets
My Theme Song

♠SARKID♠

RiverAux

Folks, I hadn't realized that the FAA was putting up preliminary reports so soon.  Would they put up a preliminary report for an aircraft that has been missing or do they wait until they've been found to put up the report.  If they put up a report while its still missing, some of the information is the sort that some CAP people feel is "sensitive" while a search is ongoing and get uptight about releasing to the media. 

california IC

Just as sad is that next weekend is NVWG's conference.  It was Dion's change of command too.
Bob Keilholtz

Smokey

Just for info...

Col Lewis worked for NASA at the Dryden facility at Edwards AFB. A great guy.  He assisted me in demonstrating the Airvan for the Space Shuttle Recovery director (Gen Hogue) at Edwards.  The Airvan is now part of the standard Space Shuttle Recovery Team at Edwards crewed by CAWG personnel.

Godspeed Col Lew and Col DeCamp.
If you stand for nothing, you will fall for anything.
To err is human, to blame someone else shows good management skills.

Larry Mangum

I count my self lucky to have known both gentleman personally.  Dion, was a great guy and was probably going to be Ed's replacement as Region DO, at least that was Ed's hope.  Ed Lewis, was in Washington last weekend for our fall conference and banquet and I do not even know where to begin in talking about him.

They will both be sorely missed and this is an unbelievable lost for all of us.
Larry Mangum, Lt Col CAP
DCS, Operations
SWR-SWR-001

capmaj

"If I should die and leave you here awhile,
Be not like the others, sore undone,
Who keep long vigil by the silent dust and weep.

For my sake turn again to life and smile,
Nerving thy heart and trembling hand to do that which will comfort other souls than thine;

Complete these dear unfinished tasks of mine,

And I, perchance, may therein comfort you."

flyerthom

We haven't had any official emails yet in NV wing but I am stunned. Col DeCamp was always accessible to the members and will be much missed.
TC

DogCollar

May the peace of God comfort and sustain the family, friends and co-workers, in and out of CAP, of these two men.
Ch. Maj. Bill Boldin, CAP