O-4071
O-4073
O-4074
O-4082
P-2005
C-4000
C-4005

RiverAux

"ESRI textbook"?  When I see ESRI I think of the company that does a lot of geographic information system work, but I doubt this is the case here. 

I'm not sure I would devote 50 minutes to AF oversight and credentialing. 

Is the "Iowa Duty Officer", how you spread out which CAP IC takes missions or is that interacting with a duty officer at the state emergency mgt agency?

isuhawkeye

The Iowa duty officer is a briefing form the state of Iowa EMA floks who are the coordination point for emergency response.  They will talk about how CAP fits, and how they work with us

sardak

ESRI confused me for the same reason - GIS.  I think it should be ERI, for Emergency Response International.  The text book is for the course "Managing Land Search Operations" (MLSO).  John's chapter numbers and title match my MLSO book, anyway. ;)  http://www.eri-online.com/ERI_Publications.html

If that is the text, something to consider.  When the Colorado SAR Board teaches the full MLSO course over 4 days, we schedule 2 hours on POA/POD (chapter 13) on one day, and 30 to 45 minutes of review of it the next morning.  Students usually have a lot of questions after thinking about the material overnight.  We're still tweaking the material, too.   I understand you're doing an overview while we're teaching it to dedicated land SAR managers, so make sure your students understand the complexity and importance of the topic.

Mike

RiverAux

I wonder how much time CAP people should really spend on land search management since we will always be under fairly direct control of local authorities who will be managing the search.  This is unlike air search where we are almost always leading the search (yes, yes, subject to various state restrictions). 

Of course there are situations where the CAP personnel are the most qualified land SAR people around and I would hope the locals would be willing to take full advantage of that experience and training. 

Personally, I think CAP could be doing a lot more in that area and perhaps doing more training on the subject will get our folks to think of it as an important ES mission for us. 

isuhawkeye

In Iowa there is very little Land Search experience CAP is one of 2 entities in the entire state that has search managers for ground based SAR.  We do more of these missions than overdue aircraft.

isuhawkeye

sorry about the confusion with the ESRI acronym.

I should have listed ERI.  ERI stands for Emergency Response International. 

http://www.eri-online.com/

This group has some very good reference material for SAR.  There Handbook for managing Land Search Operations is an excellent supplement to our training. 

CadetProgramGuy

Sorry I missed the planning session.  I had ASP, handcuff and OC training for work.

isuhawkeye

No problem,

How was getting sprayed

stillamarine

Quote from: CadetProgramGuy on December 17, 2007, 06:53:59 AM
Sorry I missed the planning session.  I had ASP, handcuff and OC training for work.

MMmmm OC spray. Yummy!

[/threadjack]
Tim Gardiner, 1st LT, CAP

USMC AD 1996-2001
USMCR    2001-2005  Admiral, Great State of Nebraska Navy  MS, MO, UDF
tim.gardiner@gmail.com

CadetProgramGuy

Quote from: isuhawkeye on December 17, 2007, 01:57:15 PM
No problem,

How was getting sprayed
Quote from: stillamarine on December 17, 2007, 06:44:10 PM
Quote from: CadetProgramGuy on December 17, 2007, 06:53:59 AM

MMmmm OC spray. Yummy!

[/threadjack]

Like getting a super concentrated shot of Tobasco straight to the forhead, eyebrows, and eyeballs.....

It took 2 hours for the INTENSE burn to stop, and I could still feel it 9 hours later.....

I just hope we don't have to go to Tasers any time soon.....