Salutations, Uniforms and O-Clubs, Part Two

Started by Nomex Maximus, October 28, 2007, 01:33:17 AM

Nomex Maximus

Just got back from the GLR Region ES Conference.

Not one salute rendered by myself. Not one salute observed during the entire conference. And, the AF gate guards did not salute me even though I was wearing brand new lieutenant bars. <sniff>

Most present showed up wearing golf shirts. Most others wore either blues or corporate uniforms. Three others besides me wore green BDUs. The AF officers all came wearing flight suits. The NOC guys wore a different sort of golf shirt.

I could not find the O-club. If there was one I doubt it would have been open. If it had been open I doubt anyone would have been there. This base is dead on the weekends.

Otherwise, there was a lot of useful info obtained.

--NM

Nomex Tiberius Maximus
2dLT, MS, MO, TMP and MP-T
an inspiration to all cadets
My Theme Song

Tubacap

William Schlosser, Major CAP
NER-PA-001

Chappy

It is hard to know who is to salute whom when they wear a golf shirt but the reality is, if you are a new Lt then you are probably the low man and should render the salute first...if in doubt salute.

As a Lt Col, I am usually the one who is having to respond to salutes.  Remember a verbal greeting is sufficient, especially during ES.  In our training exercises we usually designate it a "no salute zone".

Since you are civilian, no one on the base is required to salute you.  I always am humbled when I receive a salute from active military.

JohnKachenmeister

In actual and simulated combat, salutes are not exchanged.
Another former CAP officer

Nomex Maximus

Clearly then, combat was being simulated. I was, not doubt, the victorious one.
Nomex Tiberius Maximus
2dLT, MS, MO, TMP and MP-T
an inspiration to all cadets
My Theme Song

JohnKachenmeister

Another former CAP officer

Short Field

Quote from: Nomex Maximus on October 28, 2007, 01:33:17 AM

And, the AF gate guards did not salute me even though I was wearing brand new lieutenant bars. <sniff>

The last several bases I entered all had civilian gate guards.  Don't expect a salute there.  Most military guards would salute your vehicle based on the "officer" color of your base decal.  Since they are doing a 100% ID check anymore, base decals are being phased out and I am sure they (if it is military gate guards) salute based on what they see on your ID Card.  Even an eagle on your windshield doesn't guarantee a salute.

I could not find the O-club. If there was one I doubt it would have been open. If it had been open I doubt anyone would have been there. This base is dead on the weekends.

Now you know why they are consolidating most clubs stateside.
SAR/DR MP, ARCHOP, AOBD, GTM1, GBD, LSC, FASC, LO, PIO, MSO(T), & IC2
Wilson #2640

Eclipse

Not one salute rendered by myself. Not one salute observed during the entire conference.

And you're proud / happy about this?

As a new butterbar you likely owed everyone their a salute, whether they return it is irrelevant.

"That Others May Zoom"

SM Scanner Ballast

Quote from: Eclipse on October 28, 2007, 06:45:50 PM

Not one salute rendered by myself. Not one salute observed during the entire conference.

And you're proud / happy about this?

As a new butterbar you likely owed everyone their a salute, whether they return it is irrelevant.

Wouldn't he look sort of silly running around saluting a bunch of people who weren't doing it themselves?

Dad2-4

Warning: Sarcasm ahead. Not to be construed as serious.
Let's do away with rank altogether, or do like the Texas Army reenacting group and designate all adults as Colonel. Then no one's in charge, no saluting, no rank induced ego trips.

Grumpy

CAP_truth

Quote from: Dad2-4 on October 28, 2007, 11:22:15 PM
Let's do away with rank altogether, or do like the Texas Army reenacting group and designate all adults as Colonel. Then no one's in charge, no saluting, no rank induced ego trips.

Think you are in the wrong organization. Rank has been a part of this organization for almost 66 years. We wear uniforms and military rank insignias.
Cadet CoP
Wilson

Pylon

Quote from: USCAP_truth on October 29, 2007, 01:01:20 AM

Think you are in the wrong organization. Rank has been a part of this organization for almost 66 years. We wear uniforms and military rank insignias.

Hence the sarcasm warning, in red, in the original posters' text.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

jeders

Quote from: Pylon on October 29, 2007, 01:02:05 AM
Quote from: USCAP_truth on October 29, 2007, 01:01:20 AM

Hence the sarcasm warning, in red, in the original posters' text.

Don't you just love the situational awareness that some of our "adult" members show? ::)
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

A.Member

Quote from: Chappy on October 28, 2007, 01:50:39 AM
It is hard to know who is to salute whom when they wear a golf shirt but the reality is, if you are a new Lt then you are probably the low man and should render the salute first...if in doubt salute.
Salutes are not given to anyone wearing a golf shirt.  Unless a person is wearing a USAF-style uniform (or the CMoH is hanging around their neck) they are not saluted - regardless of rank.  TP supposedly tried to get his uniform exempted to this so that those wearing the TPU were saluted but it is not an official reg that I know of and salutes are not given to those wearing it, nor should they be expected.

Also as mentioned, many gate guards are now civilian cops, so salutes shouldn't be expected from them either.  Moreso that that, however, is the fact that many gates (at least at the few bases I've been to recently) are "No Salute Zones".
"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

BlueLakes1

Not one salute rendered by myself. Not one salute observed during the entire conference. And, the AF gate guards did not salute me even though I was wearing brand new lieutenant bars. <sniff>

Most present showed up wearing golf shirts. Most others wore either blues or corporate uniforms. Three others besides me wore green BDUs. The AF officers all came wearing flight suits. The NOC guys wore a different sort of golf shirt.

Otherwise, there was a lot of useful info obtained.

--NM

The only time I've seen the club occupied is on UTA weekends, and this wasn't a UTA. Heck, I only saw one USAF guy there all weekend that wasn't a SF person, and that was at noon today (Sunday).

And there were CAP folks there in flight suits too, just not many.
Col Matthew Creed, CAP
GLR/CC

ZigZag911

I thought the custom is to salute a senior upon recognition (assuming it is appropriate under the circumstances) without regard to whether the officer is wearing uniform or civilian clothing?

A.Member

Quote from: ZigZag911 on October 29, 2007, 02:22:14 AM
I thought the custom is to salute a senior upon recognition (assuming it is appropriate under the circumstances) without regard to whether the officer is wearing uniform or civilian clothing?
Only when wearing military-style uniform (not CAP corporate uniform).
"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

Grumpy

Walkman

Quote from: Eclipse on October 28, 2007, 06:45:50 PM

I thought Nomex was a 1LT because he's a pilot...