CAP expectations getting to be too much?

Started by jimmydeanno, October 26, 2007, 01:11:40 PM

jimmydeanno

I recently had a discussion with a friend of mine about the ever changing environment in CAP.  He's been in CAP about 20 years and I've been in about 10.

Both of us recall that about 10 years ago, it was very feasible for a CAP member to be "well rounded" without too much difficulty, but as the years have rolled on, that ability is becoming more and more difficult for the average volunteer.

For example, it was very reasonable to get involved in ES, progress in many specialty tracks simultaneously and be able to quote the regulations for almost any area of CAP while performing your normal squadron duty assignment.

In the last few years, however, I've noticed that the regulations and requirements for things are getting increasingly more difficult to follow and become an "expert" in.  I find myself having to constantly check regulations and updates on things to barely keep my head above water on certain things and I do volunteer 30-40 hours a week to CAP.

Do you think that CAP is starting to get into the realm where our volunteers can't/won't be able to be multi-faceted like they were years ago and will have to decide early on which of the three missions they want to participate in? 

Is the training and requirements for certain areas becoming such that people that can't volunteer 20 hours a week can make a meaningful contribution to the organization?

Is it reasonable or practical to have the average time to reach say GTM-3 or MS to be 1.5-2 years?  An IC to take half a decade to develop? (ES was just used as an example, this isn't an ES specific discussion).

Do you think that the average CAP member in a few years won't be able to be a CP officer AND keep up with their ES ratings because of the increased requirements for both? 

Just some thoughts...
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

Eclipse

Quote from: jimmydeanno on October 26, 2007, 01:11:40 PM
I recently had a discussion with a friend of mine about the ever changing environment in CAP.  He's been in CAP about 20 years and I've been in about 10.

Both of us recall that about 10 years ago, it was very feasible for a CAP member to be "well rounded" without too much difficulty, but as the years have rolled on, that ability is becoming more and more difficult for the average volunteer.

10-20 years ago the only way regulations were published was via print, which meant there was a lot more expense and lead time involved getting the word to the field.

For example, it was very reasonable to get involved in ES, progress in many specialty tracks simultaneously and be able to quote the regulations for almost any area of CAP while performing your normal squadron duty assignment.

Still can - no problem.

In the last few years, however, I've noticed that the regulations and requirements for things are getting increasingly more difficult to follow and become an "expert" in.  I find myself having to constantly check regulations and updates on things to barely keep my head above water on certain things and I do volunteer 30-40 hours a week to CAP.

I disagree they are any more onerous today, however more people are held to higher standards.  When I hitched up about 8 years ago, most commanders I saw were winging it based on their past understanding, versus keeping current.  I will grant you that a standardized, tasked-based curriculum for ES has added more detail and professionalism, but I don't think its made it any harder.

Do you think that CAP is starting to get into the realm where our volunteers can't/won't be able to be multi-faceted like they were years ago and will have to decide early on which of the three missions they want to participate in?

No - though I do think this idea that you can do anything you want, and do everything well is misguided.

Is the training and requirements for certain areas becoming such that people that can't volunteer 20 hours a week can make a meaningful contribution to the organization?

No - members with 1/2 that time or less make valuable contributions, they just progress slower.

Is it reasonable or practical to have the average time to reach say GTM-3 or MS to be 1.5-2 years?  An IC to take half a decade to develop? (ES was just used as an example, this isn't an ES specific discussion).

Yes and no - if you're a twice a month member, yes.  However for a motivated member, its easily less than a year (1 week w/ NESA).  Its all about personal and unit priority.

Do you think that the average CAP member in a few years won't be able to be a CP officer AND keep up with their ES ratings because of the increased requirements for both? 

No. They go hand-in-hand.  A reasonably active member, with good Squadron guidance, should have no issue keeping up with his progression PD as well as his ES activity.  If he does, something is out of balance, or he is reaching farther than his personal time will allow.

Life is choice.

We all have much more choice as to how we spend our free time these days, and the "electronic age" hasn't made this any easier.  Kids have twice the homework, sports takes twice the practice, and there's lots on tv each night.

For me, parking in front of the tv is painful, I have a few shows I really like (Kitchen Nightmares!), and no problem vegging in front of a good DVD, but I have no interest in watching sports, and the typical rehash of either "Law & Order", "CSI", or "Desperate Housewives" does not hold my attention - that's a whole lot of time left for "other", whether its CAP, reading, or whatever.  I'm aghast when we try and plan events and people say they can't come because of the "Superbowl", but that's fine. Its all about choice.

CAP isn't for everyone, and not everyone can participate at the same level, nor even the same level their whole lives.  You get a job that has you traveling 90%, CAP is probably not for you (right now).

On the other hand, squadron administration is so much easier these days because of the internet - regs, pubs, finances, and all paperwork can be done in a distributed environment, which means some people
who can't come to meetings can still play.

Its all about choice.

"That Others May Zoom"

JohnKachenmeister

I would have to agree with Jimmy.  I also agree in part with Eclipse.

CAP, especialy in the area of ES is becoming increasingly demanding.  This is a good thing.  It shows that we are professionals and that we take our assignments seriously.

And, I think it is getting harder for the average member to maintain an acceptable level of proficiency in several areas, such as a lot of folks used to do.

I have given up the Mission Pilot route.  In fact, my form 5 isn't even current.  I have pretty well given up flying CAP planes.  I cannot afford the cost in terms of money and in terms of time to maintain BOTH ground qualification and MP qualification.  I had to make a choice.

I would love to fly.  I'm a pilot.  But...

I'm also a retired Army officer, and as such am at home with a map, a compass and a piece of terrain.

I was also a Navy hospital corpsman, so I have a field medical background.

So, I decided that my personal skill set could be better used by CAP in ground search operations.  CAP has lots of pilots, but not as many gravel-crunching dogfaces that also have field medical experience.
Another former CAP officer

LittleIronPilot

I am with Eclipse (well except for the Superbowl comment...I am not a sports fan but I STILL watch the Superbowl, usually with friends drinking beer and eating burgers!) and John.

I travel quite a bit, but thanks to technology and my wife's allowances for my time with CAP when I can home on the weekends I have still been able to be an active member of the Squadron, and the ES Officer to boot!

Of course it could be better, and it looks like it will be shortly....but it does take time and dedication!

RiverAux

Kach is right that is very difficult to maintain as many ES qualifications as you have in the past and I've already let one of mine drop off in favor of others.  However, in other areas I don't think it has changed that much, except that in a few areas you need some more people actually willing to put in some time at admin tasks.