Former FLWG CC Awarded Colonel Rank Permanently

Started by NewChapterBegins, October 10, 2007, 08:11:11 AM

NewChapterBegins

Just released on the Florida Wing email system a few minutes ago:

Former Florida Wing Commander to Permanently Retain Rank of Colonel

Tampa, FL – Former Florida Wing Commander Colonel Patrick O'Key will be permanently retaining his rank of Colonel, Interim Florida Wing Commander Lt Col Al Bedgood announced last evening during a Florida Wing Staff statewide conference call.

The announcement of the decision was made by Lt Col Bedgood at the beginning of the evening's call and was warmly received by the members of the Staff, nearly all of whom had worked closely with Colonel O'Key over the past year. Colonel O'Key's departure from his Wing Commander position occurred just days prior to his one year anniversary which, in accordance with Civil Air Patrol regulations, would have made his temporary promotion during his first year in command to Colonel permanent.

"Pat did a great job as Florida Wing Commander", Lt Col Bedgood stated. "Our challenge is in continuing the work that he and his team did and to do the little things that can make us even better. We're the largest Wing in Civil Air Patrol, and there's no reason why we shouldn't be the best Wing as well".

Please join the members of the Florida Wing Command and Staff in congratulating Colonel O'Key on his promotion and for his service to our organization.

TERRANCE P POWER, Captain, Civil Air Patrol
Director of Marketing and Public Relations, Florida Wing
tpower@flwg.us

Skyray

OUTSTANDING

Maybe we are getting away from the vindictiveness that has too long ruled Florida.
Doug Johnson - Miami

Always Active-Sometimes a Member

Dragoon

I have no idea why he left, but I kind of like the idea of having to server the full term to get the eagles permanently. I've seen wayyy too many folks bail after a year or so.  We need strong incentives to motivate them to stay the course.

But, as always, there'd need to be waivers.  Because some folks leave for health or other unavoidable reasons.

Pericles

For all practical purposes, he served the full term.  He was relieved as part of the paroxysm that is going on in Florida after the National Commander was dismissed.  I don't have a clue which side he was on, but the Region Commander relieved him on "orders from above" and it happened one day before his year was up.  So I for one am glad they saw fit to permanently award him his eagles.

BillB

In the past the promotion to Colonel  for those who served less than a year before moving to Region CC, moving out of state or quit because of ill health was always been confirmed. The past two Florida Wing Commanders were confirmed as to permenant grade of Colonel prior to serving a full year.
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

Pericles

Quote from: BillB on October 10, 2007, 04:04:58 PM
In the past the promotion to Colonel  for those who served less than a year before moving to Region CC, moving out of state or quit because of ill health was always been confirmed. The past two Florida Wing Commanders were confirmed as to permenant grade of Colonel prior to serving a full year.

I have no problem with confirming those who got promoted to Region Commander or those who served 364 days.  In fact, about the only thing down there that I do have a problem with is the demotion of George Pringle, who served as Wing Commander before there was a "probationary" period.

CAP_truth

Per CAPR 35-5 The grade of Colonel can become permanent after successfully complete and assignment and with the approval of the NEC. A tern for wing commanders is a 4 year commitment. I think because he was removed as wing commander he should have been returned to Lt. Col.
Cadet CoP
Wilson

Pericles

Quote from: USCAP_truth on October 10, 2007, 08:03:34 PM
Per CAPR 35-5 The grade of Colonel can become permanent after successfully complete and assignment and with the approval of the NEC. A tern for wing commanders is a 4 year commitment. I think because he was removed as wing commander he should have been returned to Lt. Col.

Since you are a recruit and prefer to remain anonymous, we are entitled to ignore your opinion.  Do you remember when 35-5 was changed, and what triggered the change?  Anyone who has served well enough to become a wing commander has a good claim on wearing eagles.  One Florida wing commander who only served four months and was relieved for cause got to keep his.  I certainly think O'Key with 364 days should be entitled to keep his, and apparently the NEC agrees with me.  So there!

John Bryan

From CAPR 35-5:

c. Colonel. The grade of colonel is reserved for members of the National Board, region vice commanders, the Chief of the Chaplain Service, CAP Inspector General, National Safety Officer, National Historian, and the Chief of the CAP Health Program. The National Executive Committee (NEC) is the only agency authorized to otherwise promote senior members to the grade of colonel. Such promotions are announced in personnel actions published by National Headquarters. All colonel promotions are temporary. The permanent grade of colonel is contingent upon the satisfactory completion of assignment and must be recommended by the commander of the individual concerned.

The Key is "satisfactory completion of assignment ". I would assert that the job the member does and not how long they do it should be the real issue. I have seen wing commanders who have served 4 years and done nothing for their wings and worse yet wing commanders who have served 4 years and hurt their wings. These officers all were given DSMs and permanent grade of Colonel. I have also seen some wing commanders who serve a year or two and do great things for their wings. Some of these also have been given permanent grade and other revert to Lt Col. The key there is the recommended of the commander of the individual concerned. Your job performance is really a subjective matter and considered only by your boss.

flyguy06

Quote from: NewChapterBegins on October 10, 2007, 08:11:11 AM
Just released on the Florida Wing email system a few minutes ago:

Former Florida Wing Commander to Permanently Retain Rank of Colonel

Tampa, FL – Former Florida Wing Commander Colonel Patrick O'Key will be permanently retaining his rank of Colonel, Interim Florida Wing Commander Lt Col Al Bedgood announced last evening during a Florida Wing Staff statewide conference call.

The announcement of the decision was made by Lt Col Bedgood at the beginning of the evening's call and was warmly received by the members of the Staff, nearly all of whom had worked closely with Colonel O'Key over the past year. Colonel O'Key's departure from his Wing Commander position occurred just days prior to his one year anniversary which, in accordance with Civil Air Patrol regulations, would have made his temporary promotion during his first year in command to Colonel permanent.

"Pat did a great job as Florida Wing Commander", Lt Col Bedgood stated. "Our challenge is in continuing the work that he and his team did and to do the little things that can make us even better. We're the largest Wing in Civil Air Patrol, and there's no reason why we shouldn't be the best Wing as well".

Please join the members of the Florida Wing Command and Staff in congratulating Colonel O'Key on his promotion and for his service to our organization.

TERRANCE P POWER, Captain, Civil Air Patrol
Director of Marketing and Public Relations, Florida Wing
tpower@flwg.us

Its thread like this I dont get. Somebody please help me understand why this is important. SO he gets to be a permanent CAP Conlonel. SO? Is it different pay than a Lt COL? Is it different pay then a 2nd Lt? I can see if he were getting paid then there masy be some controversy, but does it matter if he gets to be a COL or not?

I am not trying to be cynical. I am earnsetly trying to understand why this is signifigant to anything. Thank you in advance.

John Bryan

Key word....signifigant

Some people don't care about money. The amount of money is NOT signifigant . Some people care more about giving or service. Each member of CAP has a reason they pay to do this. Some like other public safety volunteers it is to help save lives and prevent suffering (ES). Others its to help teach kids leadership(CP) and about air & space (AE).

Some would say CAP rank does NOT matter because there is no pay or real commission behind it. I am one who thinks it does matter...the same as rank in any other volunteer group. I would say a volunteer fire chief is still a fire chief no matter how little money he/she has made. 

Pericles

Some of the heavy hitters seem to care about it a lot; not only that they get it, but that they can keep other people from getting it.  If you read Rex Glasgow's letter, one of the issues that came up was Bowling thought the unnamed General was making too many Colonels and asked Rex to make a motion to the board or the committee (I forget which) to stop it.  I assume that it was for political reasons that he didn't want to do it himself.  Anyway, Valerie Brown, the next Lieutenant Colonel in the General's Colonel queue, got mad at Rex for raining on her parade.  Rumor mongering?  Not unless you consider a signed letter sent to the board and half the world by an actual participant a rumor.

Chappy

The importance of the Col grade, other than you have , hopefully, worked yourself into that much responsibilty, is to be of equal grade to the air force guys you are working with.

CAP_truth

Quote from: Pericles on October 10, 2007, 08:17:09 PM

Since you are a recruit and prefer to remain anonymous, we are entitled to ignore your opinion.  Do you remember when 35-5 was changed, and what triggered the change?  Anyone who has served well enough to become a wing commander has a good claim on wearing eagles.  One Florida wing commander who only served four months and was relieved for cause got to keep his.  I certainly think O'Key with 364 days should be entitled to keep his, and apparently the NEC agrees with me.  So there!

I may be a recruit in this blog, but I am a long time member of CAP. Both as a cadet and as a senior member. My wishes to remain anonymous is so that I may express my opinions as my opinion, just like you who wishes to remain anonymous. Your opinions are yours and mine are mine. I do think that he has completed his term as wing commander.
Cadet CoP
Wilson

Dragoon

Again, here's the worry.  We don't want Wing CCs to switch every year.  We want them to stay for a full term.

If they get all the bennies for leaving early, there's less reason to stay.

I've worked closely with many Wing CCs. It's a tough job.  The vast majority are ready to leave long before their time is up.  But they don't, partially because they want to honor their agreement to serve a term, and partially because they want the eagles - a permanent recognition of their hard work.

I realize lots of guys get 'em for less than a year's time.  My point is that I don't think that's in the best interests of the organization.  If we give everything away for free, there's no reason to work for anything.

(Of course, there will always have to be exceptions for medical issues, moving to Region Command early, etc. etc.  But these should be the exceptions - not the rules.)

John Bryan

"Again, here's the worry.  We don't want Wing CCs to switch every year.  We want them to stay for a full term. If they get all the bennies for leaving early, there's less reason to stay"

Great point....BUT it does not appear he wanted to leave. I think you are correct that the short terms and all the change is not good for the health of any wing.

Maybe we need to require Region and National Commanders to have cause in order to fire ANY Wing Commander....no matter how long they serve. To be able to fire good people for no cause or political reasons is not good for the organization. For the record I am not saying this case was wrong or right....but too many Wing Commanders have been fired without cause. There is a bigger issue that needs to be addressed. But I don't think it will because the National Commander and Region Commanders would have to give up power.....very few people will do that.