Momma USAF Wants Us To Fly...

Started by Nomex Maximus, October 03, 2007, 03:03:22 AM

Smokey

During the Fossett search, albeit right at the start, I flew a WADS mission as a target of interest.  We had to do it without our usual high bird as he was diverted to the Fossett search, but we still managed to pull it off.  So we were able to handle both.

Our resources were stretched a bit thin during the search, but shortly afterwards we were up and running ready to do another mission. In fact several CD missions were flown the end of that same week. Plus this last weekend we flew a space shuttle recovery exercise.
If you stand for nothing, you will fall for anything.
To err is human, to blame someone else shows good management skills.

ricecakecm

I'm a Wing DO and we've flown LLRS missions this year.  A neighboring wing has flown LLRS's as well as range clearing flights, etc.

Part of what it takes, in addition to Wing DOs who are willing to make sure that airplanes and pilots are available, are State Directors who are willing to go out and make the partnerships with the scheduling activities for these facilities and routes.

The LLRSs we've flown have been for the 509 BW and they were very happy with our work as well as the fact that 1st Air Force paid for the mission.

I've never had a problem drumming up pilots to go fly funded missions.  It might take a few phone calls, but I'm always able to find someone.

YMMV...

MidwaySix

Whatever guys...

My deployment bag is packed. Just tell me when and where.

Have skillz, will travel.

I'm ready to fly.

- M6

wingnut

I agree with SMOKEY!
CAP has had some issues on availability, but when the chips are down and the red flag goes up we pull it offThe Fossett search was an example, we had dozens of aircraft up for weeks and yet we still continued with our normal missions.

I think National must correct the issue of the pilots spending their money on these missions because it is a policy that DAMAGES CAP. No one should be expected to spend $5,000 plus on a mission and not get reimbursed for 6, 7 or 8  months.

THIS IS NOT THE USAFs intent, I remember mentioning that to an AFRCC rep at training and they were shocked.

Yes we will fly, but as one pilot put it; " I cant afford to support the national debt at 17% interest on my Av Gas bill ( 17% of 5000 = $850/2= $425) thats how much the pilot will have lost on not getting reimbursed in 6 months

isuhawkeye

Wingnut,

We do have at least one thread running in reference to out of pocket expenses on missions. 

In short many of the progressive wings have outfitted corporate aircraft and ground vehicles to eliminate this inconvenience.

BigMojo

<Raising my hand>

In South Florida, ready to re-build, move on, and do some good. Have some faith in new blood.

Ben Dickmann, Capt, CAP
Emergency Services Officer
Group 6, Florida Wing

Skyray

Quote from: BigMojo on October 04, 2007, 01:39:38 AM
<Raising my hand>

In South Florida, ready to re-build, move on, and do some good. Have some faith in new blood.

Hey, great!  Always glad to see new cannon fodd.... er talent.  Look around for Guy Herlihy.  He used to be up there in Broward where you are, and he is a real stand up guy.  Searched many a hangar with Guy, and even an occasional Life Raft refurbishing loft.
Doug Johnson - Miami

Always Active-Sometimes a Member

ZigZag911

Kach is right, in my experience there are generally far more pilots than mission pilots.....commanders and DOs at all levels need to motivate CAP pilots to work on getting mission qualified...then try to ensure there is some work for them!