Collaboration "system" recommendations?

Started by LTC_Gadget, September 13, 2007, 09:49:12 PM

LTC_Gadget

OK, having gotten a little tired wading through my e-mail every evening, watching individual messages grow as comment is added, mailing the same files back and forth between myself, the squadron CC, the DCC and the DCS to incorporate changes, and wanting to organize the management and participation in the squadron, I'm *really* getting curious about collaboration suites, or systems.

I've just started playing with Google Groups, but their calendar function isn't integrated into the group, and I'm trying to keep it simplestupid.

Obviously, I'm looking for as cheap as I can get that still is worthwhile and functional, and I don't know at this point, whether free even exists, which is why I'm asking here.  A hundred heads are better than one, hopefully. 

Does anyone know of, or are you currently using, any sort of collaboration system where you can post your unit's calendar, collaborate on documents of all types, have discussion areas, post messages to all members of the group, and control access to the group based on a login?  I'm probably missing other desired characteristics, as I'm typing thoughts as they come to me.

Is there a way to do this sort of thing through the squadron's hosted xxx.okwg.cap.gov webpage, or is some third-party solution a better (or only) way to go?  We've recently lost connectivity to the squadron HQ w/no estimate for restoration, and the boxes we're running at the squadron make lousy workstations, so a 'local' server is out of the question.

Your thoughts, input and discourse are appreciated.

V/R,
John Boyd, LtCol, CAP
Mitchell and Earhart unnumbered, yada, yada
The older I get, the more I learn.  The more I learn, the more I find left yet to learn.

Walkman

I use Basecamp http://basecamphq.com/ to run my ad agency, since I work with people all over. There is a calendar, file sharing, message boards, to-do lists, even a multiple-user text editor for group writing documents. It's been a great tool for me.

Here's a couple of examples of what it does:

- I create a new brochure for a client, and post the file to the "Messageboard" page. My clients get an email telling them about it, they log-on and look, comment & discuss. I'll make the revisions and when it's ready to go, I'll upload it to the "Files" section for downloading to the printer.

- I'll post to-do lists for the web freelancer in Michigan and attach them to calendar items. When things are checked off, I get an email notice of it and the calendar is updated.

It's a very robust system, I highly recommend it for any group to manage things online.

JC004

phpGroupWare is one, but there are a LOT of options.  I've been helping some units to navigate this recently.  If you want, PM me and you can give me a call - we can try to figure out some options that work for you.

Tubacap

Colgan, your a php monster.

I am using Collanos to share within one organization.  It works really well and is simple to use, and... free... www.collanos.com.  Drawback is that it is a download, but it works fairly well everywhere except for my work.

I also just saw that there is a product from the dreaded Microsoft that is free and does the same thing as Collanos, but is called Microsoft Office Live Workspace.  It is in it's beta stages right now and there is a pre-registration list.

FYI, if you use Microsoft Office Live, you get 500MB free webspace + free domain name + 25 free emails.
William Schlosser, Major CAP
NER-PA-001

JC004

Quote from: Tubacap on November 07, 2007, 07:09:40 PM
Colgan, your a php monster.

I am using Collanos to share within one organization.  It works really well and is simple to use, and... free... www.collanos.com.  Drawback is that it is a download, but it works fairly well everywhere except for my work.

I also just saw that there is a product from the dreaded Microsoft that is free and does the same thing as Collanos, but is called Microsoft Office Live Workspace.  It is in it's beta stages right now and there is a pre-registration list.

FYI, if you use Microsoft Office Live, you get 500MB free webspace + free domain name + 25 free emails.

PHP shall rule the world!

Most of my secret CAP applications that I am developing in my evil lab are PHP.  Death to Microsoft! 

I don't pay attention to anything Microsoft puts out because I have to assume that they just took something that already existed, made it worse, and pretended like they invented it. 

I have all kinds of fun stuff that I am working on in PHP.  You would really like them if they weren't a secret.   :P  Expect some changes to the wing web site in the coming weeks.  With any luck, some things might be rolling out there.

floridacyclist

We were supposedly just given a directory on the wing server to install our PHPGroupware to since our server doesn't allow us full access to the SQL server. Of course, two days after I get the email telling me that (and saying that we have to upload each file one file at a time theough "Florida Wing Web Companion" since we can't just have FTP access, the Director of IT takes a COS job, the webmaster moves to director of IT, and I am told that Web Companion needs a total re-write.

Maybe one day.
Gene Floyd, Capt CAP
Wearer of many hats, master of none (but senior-rated in two)
www.tallahasseecap.org
www.rideforfatherhood.org

pixelwonk

Quote from: JC004 on November 07, 2007, 07:49:45 PM

I have all kinds of fun stuff that I am working on in PHP.  You would really like them if they weren't a secret.   :P  Expect some changes to the wing web site in the coming weeks.  With any luck, some things might be rolling out there.
Right after he takes it from WIWG. :P

TDHenderson

We use Basecamp as well in the Iowa Wing.  Works very well.

JC004

Quote from: tedda on November 08, 2007, 04:51:27 PM
Quote from: JC004 on November 07, 2007, 07:49:45 PM

Right after he takes it from WIWG. :P

I was unaware there were things to steal.  I will get my best hackers on this immediately.