What can Active Duty wear on there CAP uniform?

Started by hatentx, September 10, 2007, 09:51:51 AM

Falshrmjgr

I think there's some truth to that.  In the same way that "We have knowingly duplicated effort, under the auspices of "Doctrinal Differences" in order to ensure that Infantry Branch trains its Bradley crews.  :-)

As opposed to Fort Knox training soldiers on an INFANTRY Fighting Vehicle? :angel:

(Of course the ADA guys had to get theirs too....)

But yes, OODLES of fun! :)
Jaeger

"Some say there are only wolves, sheep, and sheepdogs in the world.  They forget the feral sheep."

hatentx

Well to throw a little more light on the story anout the **** off Sir.  At a FARP it is one of the few places you will find an enlisted soldier completly incharge of everything in his area of opperation.  With Aircraft moving in and out and live munitions and fuel being every where it is asking for disaster.  In Combate that makes this even more dangerous being that the longer and aircraft is down the longer the bad guys can see where we are and droop a motar on a few thousand gallons of fuel and who know how many ordinance.  The Pad Cheif is in completle controll and has the ability while on this Pad to command everybody according to his demands. you dont like it dont get on his pad.  You will find this in the attack helicopter field all together.  I have seen the Division CG ask politly to get off a pad before he gets someone killed.  (talking on a radio is a big no no in this environment)  So was the NCO out of line, ah maybe.  the **** off Sir may have been a little much but while an aircraft is comming in and you cant hear much you get the point accrost as quick as possible.  Sadly what you begin to see is that a small group of officers or cadets think because of there posistion or rank they are better than others.  This was the case with the ROTC cadet.  But in the aviation field (which is not the typical Army by any means) the enlisted have a great deal of knowldege that is not known by the pilots and it is a great word of advice to learn everything you can from everyone you can.  That Platoon Sgt may know how to run a Platoon and manage troops but he may not have the hands on experiance doing the job that his lower enlisted may have.

mikeylikey

Quote from: MIKE on September 20, 2007, 06:38:25 PM
It would appear that this topic isn't really talking about what AD can wear on the CAP uniform anymore... I believe this has been asked and answered three pages ago.

So what can be worn on the CAP uniform?  Can I wear civilian awards awarded by the Department of the AF?
What's up monkeys?

ddelaney103

Quote from: mikeylikey on September 21, 2007, 03:08:16 AM
It would appear that this topic isn't really talking about what AD can wear on the CAP uniform anymore... I believe this has been asked and answered three pages ago.

So what can be worn on the CAP uniform?  Can I wear civilian awards awarded by the Department of the AF?

Only if they were authorized by the AF for wear, which means they had to be awarded to someone performing duties while in uniform.  Pretty unlikely.

Hawk200

Quote from: ddelaney103 on September 21, 2007, 01:56:18 PM
Quote from: mikeylikey on September 21, 2007, 03:08:16 AM

Only if they were authorized by the AF for wear, which means they had to be awarded to someone performing duties while in uniform.  Pretty unlikely.

Wasn't there something a few months ago about some CAP folks that got some civilian medals or decs? Seems like it was an Army civilian award, but it had an actual medal and accompanying ribbon.

MIKE

It was an Iowa NG award given some IAWG members IIRC.  By regs most likely a no-go, but TP supposidly said it was ok.  ::)
Mike Johnston

ddelaney103

Quote from: MIKE on September 21, 2007, 02:50:08 PM
It was an Iowa NG award given some IAWG members IIRC.  By regs most likely a no-go, but TP supposidly said it was ok.  ::)

We've had a similar problem in MD: the TAG gave some people MD commendation medals, but they really can't wear it on the uniform.

gallagheria

I have said it before--it is a shame that so many foreign awards are authorized, but state are not unless you are specifically Title 32 or SAD. Here in Georgia, we are near the CRTC with the 165th in Savannah, and they are an Air National Guard unit. They are authorized to wear state awards, but following this line of discussion, we in CAP are not.

MIKE

Actually, now that I think about it... They may have been DA Civilian awards which IIRC are likewise restricted by AFI 36-2903.
Mike Johnston

Hawk200

Quote from: MIKE on September 21, 2007, 07:14:50 PM
Actually, now that I think about it... They may have been DA Civilian awards which IIRC are likewise restricted by AFI 36-2903.

I looked it up in 2903 after your last post. They're not listed in the table of authorized ribbons, so it's a no-go. The Army allows their wear on the uniform in the current reg. Not sure why the Air Force doesn't.

hatentx

So here is a question.  Im not in CAP as of now but just wondering with the question about the MOVS.  What about the airforce Achievement Medal.  As i can read so far it says to Air Force personel is CAP included in that?  I think i would be a cool idea as for what I can tell there is no way to say good job other than to just say it in CAP.

AlphaSigOU

Quote from: hatentx on September 22, 2007, 02:52:14 AM
So here is a question.  Im not in CAP as of now but just wondering with the question about the MOVS.  What about the airforce Achievement Medal.  As i can read so far it says to Air Force personel is CAP included in that?  I think i would be a cool idea as for what I can tell there is no way to say good job other than to just say it in CAP.

Some RealAirForce® medals can be awarded to CAP members but as far as I know no current CAP member (who hasn't already earned the award by being current or former military) has been awarded one. I don't think there's ever been a procedure done up between the RealAirForce® and NHQ CAP (thru CAP-USAF) to do so.

The Coastie Auxies - ahem, the Coast Guard Auxiliary - does award RealCoastGuard® medals and ribbons on behalf of its parent service, but those occasions are rare. (Auxies, please correct me if I'm wrong.)
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

RiverAux

Actually, the Coast Guard presents Coast Guard awards to CG Auxies.  As with most CG Aux activities, pretty much all real decisions are in the hands of the CG.  It is not at all uncommon for CG Auxies to earn CG awards.  For example, all members of the CG and the CG Aux were awarded the Presidential Unit Citation for Katrina. 

MIKE

Mike Johnston

JayT

Quote from: hatentx on September 22, 2007, 02:52:14 AM

We're not Air Force personnal actually.

Can USCGAux awards be worn on the CAP uniform? I'm assuming no based on 39-1.
"Eagerness and thrill seeking in others' misery is psychologically corrosive, and is also rampant in EMS. It's a natural danger of the job. It will be something to keep under control, something to fight against."

RiverAux

CG Aux awards - no.  CG awards earned by CG Auxies -- maybe.  There are contradictory statements in two CAP regs about whether or not military awards may only be worn by those who earned them while in the military or whether military awards earned as a civilian (CG Aux in this case) may be worn on CAP uniform. 

BillB

The only Air Force medal awarded to CAP was the Air Medal. It was awarded to many of the CAP members who took part in the Coastal Patrol. I've never heard about it being awarded to a CAP member for any other type of mission.
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

AlphaSigOU

Attached is a guide I created on the proper wear of CAP ribbons. Makes things a lot easier to figure out than having to dig through a maze of regs and policy letters.

[attachment deleted by admin]
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

arajca

Great guide. Do you mind if I include it my TLC handouts?

gallagheria

I just read the reg, and it is clear. All military decorations are authorized on the CAP uniform, and all "United States Nonmilitary
Decorations" are authorized; further, it states all foreign awards authorized by Congress are authorized.

I am not familiar with the Regular Air Force reg on the subject, but I am the with the Army, and it does not look any different. As for what you can wear as far as when it was awarded: "Military service ribbons may be worn on the CAP AF-style uniform provided they were awarded in writing by competent military authority." So clearly any military award may be worn even if you were a civilian when you earned it.