Main Menu

BOOTS

Started by addo1, August 16, 2007, 10:30:39 PM

Slim

Quote from: afgeo4 on December 13, 2007, 05:59:52 AMIn my mind, the very, very best boot for being outdoors 24/7 is the Ft. Lewis "Go Devils" by Danner, but they are NOT cheap.

Now that I'll agree with.  8)

I've had several "Favorite" boots.  Just seems like everything that's come along in the last several years has been far superior to what we used WIWAC.  I still remember the awful blisters and pain caused by my first pair of issue combat boots, and the few pairs of older jungle boots with the green canvas.

Let's see, in the last several years, I've had a pair of Matterhorns, Bates steel toe (specific name/model escapes me, but they were AF approved) hot weather boots, and a pair of Corcoran Mach's.  I've had the Matterhorns about 15 years now, and they are in dire need of a resole.  Get to it eventually, though they are getting kind of rough looking.  Plan on wearing them tomorrow while running around laying wreaths in 20 degree weather.  The Bates and Machs are very good boots too, but I got a good deal on the Bates ICBs, so they became my primary boots.

Slim

addo1

Since this is like a general boots topic, I thought I would ask the question here. 

Ok.  I have a fairly deep scratch all the way across my Combat Boots and I would really hate to have to buy new ones.  Is there something that can help take away the scratch?  I have tried a couple of things to no avail.  Any tips would be helpful.
Addison Jaynes, SFO, CAP
Coordinator, Texas Wing International Air Cadet Exchange

National Cadet Advisory Council 2010

MSgt Van

Is this a deep scratch across the toe, as in looks bad? If so, you can feather it out a little bit with very fine sandpaper and then spit-shine (polish filling in scratch). That'll take some elbow grease. One of these days I'm going to spit-shine part of a brick just to show my cadets you can make anything look good with enough effort...and I have a little spare time right now. I'll post a pic when I get it done.

CadetProgramGuy

Quote from: MSgt Van on July 03, 2008, 07:30:19 AM
Is this a deep scratch across the toe, as in looks bad? If so, you can feather it out a little bit with very fine sandpaper and then spit-shine (polish filling in scratch). That'll take some elbow grease. One of these days I'm going to spit-shine part of a brick just to show my cadets you can make anything look good with enough effort...and I have a little spare time right now. I'll post a pic when I get it done.

When you're done, take it to an encampment and advertise...."If your boot looks better than my brick...."

fyrfitrmedic

I have a spit-shined brick at my home unit; I first got the idea from somebody from NCR that I met at NB years ago (whose name escapes me at the moment).

Every so often the brick requires touchups when those in disbelief scratch the surface to see if in fact the brick is wearing shoe polish...  ::)
MAJ Tony Rowley CAP
Lansdowne PA USA
"The passion of rescue reveals the highest dynamic of the human soul." -- Kurt Hahn

CadetProgramGuy

Quote from: fyrfitrmedic on July 03, 2008, 11:01:34 AM
I have a spit-shined brick at my home unit; I first got the idea from somebody from NCR that I met at NB years ago (whose name escapes me at the moment).

Every so often the brick requires touchups when those in disbelief scratch the surface to see if in fact the brick is wearing shoe polish...  ::)

In my boredom, I will have to try....

addo1

Quote from: CadetProgramGuy on July 03, 2008, 08:14:33 AM
Quote from: MSgt Van on July 03, 2008, 07:30:19 AM

When you're done, take it to an encampment and advertise...."If your boot looks better than my brick...."

I had never heard about that before.... I might have to try it with my squadron.  I think there are a couple of people who could use serioous boot work.  ;D
Addison Jaynes, SFO, CAP

maverik

I can't really shine my boots real good anymore. Because every time I try it seems like we get a mission I don't know if you'd interpet that to be bad or good luck. ;D
KC9SFU
Fresh from the Mint C/LT
"Hard pressed on my right. My center is yielding. Impossible to maneuver. Situation excellent. I am attacking." Ferdinand Foch at the Battle of the Marne

addo1

Quote from: colorguard_rifle on July 03, 2008, 04:17:07 PM
I can't really shine my boots real good anymore. Because every time I try it seems like we get a mission I don't know if you'd interpet that to be bad or good luck. ;D

Yeah.  I had mine where you could see yourself in my boots..... then.... we go on a bivouac and I get a gash all the way down the toe... fun,fun,fun   :D
Addison Jaynes, SFO, CAP

CadetProgramGuy

Quote from: addo1 on July 03, 2008, 04:21:51 PM
Quote from: colorguard_rifle on July 03, 2008, 04:17:07 PM

Yeah.  I had mine where you could see yourself in my boots..... then.... we go on a bivouac and I get a gash all the way down the toe... fun,fun,fun   :D

Thats why I have two sets of boots, One field set, one parade set.

SarDragon

Gotta remember one thing here - the brick is rigid, boots are flexible. Once the brick is polished, very little will disturb the finish. Not so with the boot. Usually whatever polish that stays in the crack will eventually get forced out as the leather flexes. If the scratch is bad, take the boot to a cobbler or leather shop, and see what they can do with it, It's better to spend a little to let the pros fix it, than try it yourself and completely ruin it.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

addo1

Quote from: SarDragon on July 04, 2008, 08:06:17 AM
Gotta remember one thing here - the brick is rigid, boots are flexible. Once the brick is polished, very little will disturb the finish. Not so with the boot. Usually whatever polish that stays in the crack will eventually get forced out as the leather flexes. If the scratch is bad, take the boot to a cobbler or leather shop, and see what they can do with it, It's better to spend a little to let the pros fix it, than try it yourself and completely ruin it.

Ok.  Thanks for the advice.
Addison Jaynes, SFO, CAP

maverik

Down in Fort Campbell outside of gate 7 there is a little korean polish shop and they bassically teardown the boot to it's white base and repolish them from the ground up and they make it look great. ;D brother inlaws old pair:
KC9SFU
Fresh from the Mint C/LT
"Hard pressed on my right. My center is yielding. Impossible to maneuver. Situation excellent. I am attacking." Ferdinand Foch at the Battle of the Marne

addo1

Looks like some corfam boots!!   ;D  (Is there even such a thing?)
Addison Jaynes, SFO, CAP

maverik

yeah when he got them from the goverment they looked like crap now it's like a mirror. ;D
KC9SFU
Fresh from the Mint C/LT

Eclipse

Quote from: colorguard_rifle on July 04, 2008, 04:20:06 PM
Down in Fort Campbell outside of gate 7 there is a little korean polish shop and they bassically teardown the boot to it's white base and repolish them from the ground up and they make it look great. ;D brother inlaws old pair:

Regardless of how shiny your BIL's boots may be, that is a photo of Thorogood Men's 8" Commando Plus Poromeric Uniform Boot.  http://www.shoeshackonline.com/site/623303/product/831-6823

You can't get regular boots to look like that because the material is different.

"That Others May Zoom"

Hawk200

Quote from: addo1 on July 04, 2008, 04:25:03 PM

Yep. Pick your style, and you can find just about anything made with. Parade boots, jump boots, jungle boots, etc. There all out there.

One of my TI's in Basic wore a set for our parade. Bloused up with white laces and with the campaign hat, it looked pretty sharp. Not something we need to be doing, but it looks good.

addo1

Quote from: Hawk200 on July 04, 2008, 05:27:46 PM
Quote from: addo1 on July 04, 2008, 04:25:03 PM

Yep. Pick your style, and you can find just about anything made with. Parade boots, jump boots, jungle boots, etc. There all out there.

One of my TI's in Basic wore a set for our parade. Bloused up with white laces and with the campaign hat, it looked pretty sharp. Not something we need to be doing, but it looks good.

Yeah, I found a pretty good pair of parade boots at my local Army Navy store...
Addison Jaynes, SFO, CAP

addo1

Speaking of boots, does anyone have any preferences of the type of polish?  Kiwi? Kiwi Parade Gloss? Is any one better than the other?  Also, does a neutral coat help really to give the boot a better shine? 
Addison Jaynes, SFO, CAP

IceNine

Lincoln Wax all the way
"All of the true things that I am about to tell you are shameless lies"

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4