Main Menu

BOOTS

Started by addo1, August 16, 2007, 10:30:39 PM

addo1

I have heard of Lincoln wax, but have never saw it... Where can you find it?
Addison Jaynes, SFO, CAP
Coordinator, Texas Wing International Air Cadet Exchange

National Cadet Advisory Council 2010

IceNine

google

its rare to find it in anything but a good boots shop, or MCCS
"All of the true things that I am about to tell you are shameless lies"

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

addo1

Ok, I might try it.. What about the method where you melt the wax with a heater or a blowdyrer?  Does that work?
Addison Jaynes, SFO, CAP

IceNine

In the name of everything holy don't melt the wax...

Triple Size cotton ball
Water
Wax

Circle,Circle,Circle...

"All of the true things that I am about to tell you are shameless lies"

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

addo1

Quote from: IceNine on July 09, 2008, 09:09:04 PM

Triple Size cotton ball
Water
Wax

Circle,Circle,Circle...

Yeah, thats what I do, but some cadets have told me that if you melt the wax slowly with a heater, then it waterproofs the boot along with giving it a better shine.  I guess everyone has their ways.
Addison Jaynes, SFO, CAP

Hawk200

Quote from: addo1 on July 09, 2008, 09:13:04 PM
Quote from: IceNine on July 09, 2008, 09:09:04 PM

Triple Size cotton ball
Water
Wax

Circle,Circle,Circle...

Yeah, thats what I do, but some cadets have told me that if you melt the wax slowly with a heater, then it waterproofs the boot along with giving it a better shine.  I guess everyone has their ways.

Haven't heard that one. Many people rationalize ways to get a "better shine" with all kinds of stories. There is no substitue for good old fashioned elbow grease. Try to do it the easy way, and the shine doesn't hold up.

I know many people want things done now, but it takes some work. Once you have a good base shine, it doesn't take much.

Dad2-4

AMEN! When I was in basic training I had 2 instances of people in my own flight intentionally scuff my shoes and boots out of jealousy >:(. I had learned how to shine in MCJROTC in high school.
While in Security Police tech school I kept my boots shined up, even going to have a good shine put on at the BX about 3 times a week. Even after going out in the field on training, confidence course, rifle range, etc, it would still only take me a short time to get the shine back up.
Cotton balls...water...polish...circles. :clap:

Jolt

I use bits of old t-shirts.  I wrap them around my finger as a substitute for cotton balls.

It's amazing to see how few cadets actually know how to shine boots.

davidsinn

I can not figure out the obsession with shiny boots. For the record I do shine my boots but never for more than 15 minutes total and I will sometimes go weeks without doing it. The purpose of the wax to to put moisture into the leather. If you put 1/16" of wax on there you can no longer get the moisture to the leather. Boots exist to be on the ground. The ground at least in my small part of the world is dirty. Why waste the effort when there are more productive things to do? Now if you honestly enjoy rubbing your boots than I guess you do what makes you happy. I know I have a lot of time wasting hobbies.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

addo1

Quote from: davidsinn on July 10, 2008, 01:03:28 AM
I can not figure out the obsession with shiny boots. For the record I do shine my boots but never for more than 15 minutes total and I will sometimes go weeks without doing it. The purpose of the wax to to put moisture into the leather. If you put 1/16" of wax on there you can no longer get the moisture to the leather. Boots exist to be on the ground. The ground at least in my small part of the world is dirty. Why waste the effort when there are more productive things to do? Now if you honestly enjoy rubbing your boots than I guess you do what makes you happy. I know I have a lot of time wasting hobbies.

Well, you see, there is something called inspection.  It just so happens that we must pass inspection to get promoted, and boots ARE on the list.
Addison Jaynes, SFO, CAP

maverik

that is not true at all heck it's not even a requirment to have a review board to get promoted you must have 1) complete uniform 2)completed required aerospace/and or leadership test 3) Pass drill test if neccesary.
KC9SFU
Fresh from the Mint C/LT
"Hard pressed on my right. My center is yielding. Impossible to maneuver. Situation excellent. I am attacking." Ferdinand Foch at the Battle of the Marne

addo1

Quote from: colorguard_rifle on July 10, 2008, 02:48:31 PM
that is not true at all heck it's not even a requirment to have a review board to get promoted you must have 1) complete uniform 2)completed required aerospace/and or leadership test 3) Pass drill test if neccesary.

Maybe, but my squadron does promotion board, and a complete uniform includes it looking good.  Boots are part of our uniform.
Addison Jaynes, SFO, CAP

davidsinn

Tonight I'll take a pic before and after I shine my boots. I'll time how long it takes. It does not take huge investments of time to get a good looking boot. BTW I wear my boots everyday all day. I find them more comfortable than shoes so mine can take a beating from time to time.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

Smithsonia

When Empires got bigger (17th-19 Century) boots got better. Multiple days of marching was required to project combat power into the war zone, meant armies move long distances quickly. Nike (the God of War) makes shoes for competition but reflects this shoes of war culture. High polish probably came from the cavalry officers boot. The boot was at eye level when mounted upon a horse, 3 times more leather than the infantry boot, and taken care of by a full time "batman" or "Bootman."

The military is de-emphasizing boot polishing for good reasons. Garrison wear and Battle Wear are becoming close to the same also. Working long and hard on a boot shine may be like a nice suburban yard. A symbol of pride but a waste of time. (which is why some one does your yard work but you keep your boots at a level of another era without a batman.)

I like my boots shiny too. I hate when they're scuffed. I spit shine and then strip when the speckling begins. I have acquired the boot polish fetish but at least on an historical basis, I'm pretty sure, I'm nuts.
With regards;
ED OBRIEN
With regards;
ED OBRIEN

davidsinn

Kinda nice to have an historian in the house.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

maverik

Interesting never knew that. *enemy* oh look something black and shiny coming right towards me.(two seconds later) *enemy* oww never trust a man wearing shiny boots. I know that was stupid but hey I thought it was funny.
KC9SFU
Fresh from the Mint C/LT
"Hard pressed on my right. My center is yielding. Impossible to maneuver. Situation excellent. I am attacking." Ferdinand Foch at the Battle of the Marne

DC

Quote from: colorguard_rifle on July 10, 2008, 04:45:43 PM
Interesting never knew that. *enemy* oh look something black and shiny coming right towards me.(two seconds later) *enemy* oww never trust a man wearing shiny boots. I know that was stupid but hey I thought it was funny.
Huh?

I keep my boots shiny for the same reason I iron and starch my uniform, I like to look good, and I think a well kept uniform can express the ability to care for and take pride in something.

Plus, they're SHINY!!!  ;D

maverik

shiny objects do attract people.
KC9SFU
Fresh from the Mint C/LT

Smithsonia

Regarding history and the shiny boot fetish. I've been in the room where space-pilots remotely fly spy satellites on Recon duty... they wear flight suits. I've also been in the room where they fly the UAV Global Hawk and most of them wear flight suits. It does no good to point out this goofy issue. They know it looks a little crazy and don't care. Cultures aren't built on practicality alone... so until they outlaw it... I'll likely spit shine my boots and starch-press my duty-uni. Like I said earlier, I'm probably nuts... but knowing and acknowledging one IS nuts is considered by psychologists as mentally healthy.
With regards;
ED OBRIEN
With regards;
ED OBRIEN

maverik

also it is said to be the first step.lol I'm kidding
KC9SFU
Fresh from the Mint C/LT