Wearing the flight suit to weekly meetings...

Started by jb512, August 14, 2007, 09:57:03 PM

For or against?

For
36 (57.1%)
Against
27 (42.9%)

Total Members Voted: 63

Voting closed: August 19, 2007, 09:57:03 PM

jb512

Quote from: Hawk200 on August 23, 2007, 01:12:28 AM
Quote from: jaybird512 on August 22, 2007, 10:20:47 PM
Elitist?  Heaven forbid we should actually have a CAP uniform that looks "cool".

You missed the point. How it looks is "cool". On the other hand, "I've got something that you don't!" is elitist.  If people are wearing it for the latter reason, it is a problem.

Wearing it to avoid details because the detail will supposedly degrade the uniform is both elitist and lazy. There are some people that exhibit that behaviour.

You want "cool"? Wear your uniform right. We could do our best to get the Air Force to permit us to wear accoutrements that aren't so garish as well. But allowing only some people to wear a "cool" uniform, and not others is elitist.

I don't think I missed the point, I just think it has been split into two separate points.  If you wear the uniform to get out of having to do something that's required by everyone, then yes, that's not the right reason to wear it.

There is no CAP regulation that prohibits any person from working towards the (dare I say) right, or privilege to wear a flight suit.  Anyone who meets the criteria and works toward an aeronautical rating can wear it, or the approved colored alternative.  That is not elitist, it is a "perk" of that specialty, if you are a person who thinks that the uniform represents that.

Hawk200

Quote from: JohnKachenmeister on August 23, 2007, 01:49:46 AM
It not "Elitist" when you are a pilot.  Pilots really ARE cooler than lesser people.

What if they're observers? Do you have "JAFO" hats for them?  ;D  >:D

JohnKachenmeister

Pilots are so cool, that some of their cool just naturally falls off onto observers.  Besides, if it weren't for observers, who would run interference with the fat chicks while the pilot makes time with the cute ones?  I would say that every Maverick must have a Goose, but real pilots don't go to THOSE kind of bars!
Another former CAP officer

mikeylikey

Quote from: SJFedor on August 22, 2007, 11:46:46 PM
Quote from: mikeylikey on August 22, 2007, 10:53:52 PM
Has anyone said "I wear the flightsuit because I look sexy in it"?  If not, let me be the first to say it. 

I'll second it, that's why it's my favorite uniform, I think I make it look good. See the uniform contest.

You win!   :-*
What's up monkeys?

Hawk200

Quote from: JohnKachenmeister on August 23, 2007, 02:33:37 AM
Pilots are so cool, that some of their cool just naturally falls off onto observers.  Besides, if it weren't for observers, who would run interference with the fat chicks while the pilot makes time with the cute ones? 

Ground teams.

I would say that every Maverick must have a Goose, but real pilots don't go to THOSE kind of bars!

Of course they do. They wouldn't show it in the movies if it wasn't true now, would they?   :D

jb512

Pilots are so cool, that some of their cool just naturally falls off onto observers.  Besides, if it weren't for observers, who would run interference with the fat chicks while the pilot makes time with the cute ones?  I would say that every Maverick must have a Goose, but real pilots don't go to THOSE kind of bars!

I don't mind being the guy in the right seat as long as I get to wear that cool flight suit....  That way, apparently I can act like I'm better than everyone else.   ::)

Duke Dillio

Quote from: Hawk200 on August 23, 2007, 02:37:48 AM
Pilots are so cool, that some of their cool just naturally falls off onto observers.  Besides, if it weren't for observers, who would run interference with the fat chicks while the pilot makes time with the cute ones? 

Ground teams.

I would say that every Maverick must have a Goose, but real pilots don't go to THOSE kind of bars!

Of course they do. They wouldn't show it in the movies if it wasn't true now, would they?   :D
I have taken my fair share of fat chicks for the team.  I think it's time for the pilots to take a couple.  Everyone needs lovin

RogueLeader

Quote from: jaybird512 on August 22, 2007, 10:20:47 PM

Elitist?  Heaven forbid we should actually have a CAP uniform that looks "cool".

There is a difference between "Hey, doesn't this look so cool.  It makes me look sexy." and "Hey, guess what.  I get to wear a flight suit because I'm Air Crew.  You can't. Ha Ha Ha."
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

RogueLeader

Oh, if flight Suits are for Air Crew only, should BDU's be only for us Ground Pounders? 

If both AC and GP, you can have both.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

mikeylikey

Quote from: RogueLeader on August 23, 2007, 02:57:33 PM
Oh, if flight Suits are for Air Crew only, should BDU's be only for us Ground Pounders? 

Sure, wear your flightsuit under your BDU's    :o
What's up monkeys?

jb512

Quote from: RogueLeader on August 23, 2007, 02:57:33 PM

Just stick with the way the RM does it...

JohnKachenmeister

39-1 allows pilots to decide what they want to wear anytime they want.  If it doesn't, it should.

ddelaney103

Quote from: JohnKachenmeister on August 23, 2007, 05:17:08 PM
39-1 allows pilots to decide what they want to wear anytime they want.  If it doesn't, it should.

Not quite.  It does require that a uniform be worn for flying in a CAP aircraft, so they can't be naked.

CASH172

Quote from: ddelaney103 on August 23, 2007, 06:48:18 PM
Quote from: JohnKachenmeister on August 23, 2007, 05:17:08 PM

Not quite.  It does require that a uniform be worn for flying in a CAP aircraft, so they can't be naked.

And so they have coverage for when they die or get hurt. 

mikeylikey

Quote from: CASH172 on August 23, 2007, 07:19:46 PM
Any so they have coverage when the they die or get hurt. 

Is that true......or an urban myth??
What's up monkeys?

CASH172

Quote from: mikeylikey on August 24, 2007, 03:12:05 AM

Well I remember a story about a CAP pilot that decided to take a CAP plane up for I believe a mission, but he crashed and died.  He had been wearing a police uniform, his normal profession at the time.  Because of that they denied any claims saying he was a cop not a CAP member in the plane.

mikeylikey

Quote from: CASH172 on August 24, 2007, 03:16:49 AM

Well I remember a story about a CAP pilot that decided to take a CAP plane up for I believe a mission, but he crashed and died.  He had been wearing a police uniform, his normal profession at the time.  Because of that they denied any claims saying he was a cop not a CAP member in the plane.

Wow!  I wonder what the LE department said.  "He was not a COP at the time of his death.  I guess the NHQ Corporate lawyers are just as slimy as every other lawyer.
What's up monkeys?

O-Rex

Quote from: mikeylikey on August 24, 2007, 04:13:45 AM
Quote from: CASH172 on August 24, 2007, 03:16:49 AM

Wow!  I wonder what the LE department said.  "He was not a COP at the time of his death.  I guess the NHQ Corporate lawyers are just as slimy as every other lawyer.

It's not slimy, just regs: You DON'T fly a mission if you are out-of-uniform (CAP uniform, that is..) 

Per 60-1:

2-9. CAP Membership Cards and Uniforms. All CAP members shall wear an appropriate CAP uniform and carry proof of current CAP membership when participating in CAP flight activities (This proof may be an actual, photocopy, or facsimile of their current CAP membership card or a copy of the MML or CAP-Watch report). When specified by the requesting agency and authorized by the wing commander, uniforms are not worn on designated Counterdrug flights.

Old saying: "you take the king's shilling, you do the king's bidding."

JohnKachenmeister

There was a similar case in Indiana where a CAP pilot in a CAP plane augered in while wearing a flannel shirt and jeans.

Sorry family.  No $$.

Have a nice day.

mikeylikey

It just is not right!  Those are the tactics of insurance companies and evil executives. 
What's up monkeys?