Wearing the flight suit to weekly meetings...

Started by jb512, August 14, 2007, 09:57:03 PM

For or against?

For
36 (57.1%)
Against
27 (42.9%)

Total Members Voted: 63

Voting closed: August 19, 2007, 09:57:03 PM

CASH172

Quote from: Hawk200 on August 20, 2007, 10:04:27 PM
Methinks I smell a rat. Or in other terms, what a load of crap!

I think that's what he meant. 

ZigZag911

39-1 clearly states that flightsuits are for flying, period.

If a member flies to a meeting, or expects to engage in CAP flight activities immediately preceding or following a meeting, then the flightsuit is acceptable.

Otherwise, simply put, it is against regulations.

What the Air Force (or flight personnel of the other military services) do is irrelevant in this case, because it is comparing apples and oranges...military people wearing the uniform of their daily service as opposed to CAP members changing from work or school clothes into a CAP uniform to attend a meeting.

Hawk200

Quote from: ZigZag911 on August 20, 2007, 11:31:08 PM

If a member flies to a meeting, or expects to engage in CAP flight activities immediately preceding or following a meeting, then the flightsuit is acceptable.

Otherwise, simply put, it is against regulations.

What the Air Force (or flight personnel of the other military services) do is irrelevant in this case, because it is comparing apples and oranges...military people wearing the uniform of their daily service as opposed to CAP members changing from work or school clothes into a CAP uniform to attend a meeting.

The only thing that 39-1 says "Flight Crews Only". It does not say "for flying activities". It does not say "for flight operations only." Reinterpreting the manual is just as bad as blatantly disobeying it.

JC004

Quote from: Hawk200 on August 21, 2007, 12:30:57 AM
The only thing that 39-1 says "Flight Crews Only". It does not say "for flying activities". It does not say "for flight operations only." Reinterpreting the manual is just as bad as blatantly disobeying it.

In some wings, "Black or Brown" means "orange"   :o

A.Member

LOL!   :)    :clap:
"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

Duke Dillio

Quote from: capchiro on August 15, 2007, 01:04:46 AM
What opinions do we have regarding cadets wearing flight suits on orientation flighs and/or on aerospace education nights?  Does it make a difference if they have any type of CAP recognized wings??     

I know that in my old squadron, if we had new members without uniforms, we would throw them in a flight suit for orientation flights.  We had a couple in different sizes that were all "decked out" with patches except for the leather name tag.  We would take a blank leather name patch, put their last name and cadet on it and send them up.  As long as they had a membership card, it seemed that it was OK.  I don't know the true legality of that, but that's what we did like 6 or 8 years ago.

As for cadets wearing flight suits to meetings, my squadron commander put the mox nix on that.  Generally, in our squadron we wear Blues three out of 4 nights per month unless we have some sort of ES or other training going on.  Another thing I would point out is that there are cadet (18+) mission qualified scanners who do not get wings but do work on aircrews.  I personally think that cadets wearing flight suits simply because they are "cool" defeats the purpose of the uniform.

CASH172

What about the excuse, it's comfy.  Also I find that wearing the flight suit as a cadet makes you appear to be a higher rank than what you really are.  When you're not wearing your flight cap, it's impossible to tell what grade that cadet is.  So a cadet in a flight suit could be a C/AB or a C/Col. 

ZigZag911

[/quote]

OK, this time I actually looked up the reg, rather than relying on memory, and I must humbly admit that I was mistaken, was reading too much into it, and you are correct!

SJFedor

For cadets, if they have one, regardless of how they acquired it, if they wish to wear it on an O-flight, I'm all for it. It's a legal uniform, makes them feel special, so why not? Weekly meetings, absolutely not, unless they're just coming off of an o-flight. Cadets doing flight training? Absolutely!

As for me, I do wear it to meetings more then I don't, simply because a decent amount of the time I end up flying either right before, during, or after, and honestly, I think I make the flight suit look better then the BDUs or blues. Promotion nights and special actions, or ES activities that don't have me flying, I submit and put on another uniform.

Personally, I've found it works rather well for recruting activities. Definitely gives off the "cool pilot" aura and attracts more  positive attention, as long as you have the uniform and yourself represent a shining example of CAP.

Steven Fedor, NREMT-P
Master Ambulance Driver
Former Capt, MP, MCPE, MO, MS, GTL, and various other 3-and-4 letter combinations
NESA MAS Instructor, 2008-2010 (#479)

ddelaney103

Quote from: sargrunt on August 21, 2007, 03:34:43 AM
Quote from: capchiro on August 15, 2007, 01:04:46 AM
What opinions do we have regarding cadets wearing flight suits on orientation flighs and/or on aerospace education nights?  Does it make a difference if they have any type of CAP recognized wings??     

I know that in my old squadron, if we had new members without uniforms, we would throw them in a flight suit for orientation flights.  We had a couple in different sizes that were all "decked out" with patches except for the leather name tag.  We would take a blank leather name patch, put their last name and cadet on it and send them up.  As long as they had a membership card, it seemed that it was OK.  I don't know the true legality of that, but that's what we did like 6 or 8 years ago.

I remember using the "Dymo Labeler" for a few promotions.  As long as the name tag doesn't have wings on it, it should be OK.

Hawk200

Quote from: ZigZag911 on August 21, 2007, 04:43:40 AM

OK, this time I actually looked up the reg, rather than relying on memory, and I must humbly admit that I was mistaken, was reading too much into it, and you are correct!

No worries. I don't think the flightsuit should be the only thing that a member should own though. Wearing it once a month for a meeting other than flight ops is one thing, but wearing it to regular meetings to be elitist is another thing entirely.

As to other than "flight crews", I don't really know. I wore one long before I was doing aircrew stuff in years past, and I find it a more comfortable uniform. I don't see why it should be restricted to just "aircrew". I guess I'm really not in a position to make an objective analysis anymore. If someone spends the money on it, especially if they buy it brand new, then they should wear it on occasion (but not all the time) and get their money's worth.

jb512

Quote from: Hawk200 on August 21, 2007, 02:47:48 PM
Quote from: ZigZag911 on August 21, 2007, 04:43:40 AM

No worries. I don't think the flightsuit should be the only thing that a member should own though. Wearing it once a month for a meeting other than flight ops is one thing, but wearing it to regular meetings to be elitist is another thing entirely.

As to other than "flight crews", I don't really know. I wore one long before I was doing aircrew stuff in years past, and I find it a more comfortable uniform. I don't see why it should be restricted to just "aircrew". I guess I'm really not in a position to make an objective analysis anymore. If someone spends the money on it, especially if they buy it brand new, then they should wear it on occasion (but not all the time) and get their money's worth.

Elitist?  Heaven forbid we should actually have a CAP uniform that looks "cool".

mikeylikey

Has anyone said "I wear the flightsuit because I look sexy in it"?  If not, let me be the first to say it. 
What's up monkeys?

JC004

Quote from: mikeylikey on August 22, 2007, 10:53:52 PM
Has anyone said "I wear the flightsuit because I look sexy in it"?  If not, let me be the first to say it. 

but you don't have a flight suit...

jb512

Why thank you. You're not so bad yourself.

Uhh...

SJFedor

I'll second it, that's why it's my favorite uniform, I think I make it look good. See the uniform contest.

Steven Fedor, NREMT-P
Master Ambulance Driver
Former Capt, MP, MCPE, MO, MS, GTL, and various other 3-and-4 letter combinations
NESA MAS Instructor, 2008-2010 (#479)

Stonewall

Gotta be hoenst with you guys.  The way I feel, the flight suit is the only uniform I see myself wearing to the meeting tomorrow night.  If it makes people happy, I can walk into the meeting from the plane so it looks like I was flying and have good reason to be wearing a bag.
Serving since 1987.

Cecil DP

Have you considered your mirror might need recalibrating?
Michael P. McEleney
LtCol CAP
MSG  USA Retired
GRW#436 Feb 85

Hawk200

Quote from: jaybird512 on August 22, 2007, 10:20:47 PM
Elitist?  Heaven forbid we should actually have a CAP uniform that looks "cool".

You missed the point. How it looks is "cool". On the other hand, "I've got something that you don't!" is elitist.  If people are wearing it for the latter reason, it is a problem.

Wearing it to avoid details because the detail will supposedly degrade the uniform is both elitist and lazy. There are some people that exhibit that behaviour.

You want "cool"? Wear your uniform right. We could do our best to get the Air Force to permit us to wear accoutrements that aren't so garish as well. But allowing only some people to wear a "cool" uniform, and not others is elitist.

JohnKachenmeister

Quote from: Hawk200 on August 23, 2007, 01:12:28 AM
Quote from: jaybird512 on August 22, 2007, 10:20:47 PM

You missed the point. How it looks is "cool". On the other hand, "I've got something that you don't!" is elitist.  If people are wearing it for the latter reason, it is a problem.

Wearing it to avoid details because the detail will supposedly degrade the uniform is both elitist and lazy. There are some people that exhibit that behaviour.

You want "cool"? Wear your uniform right. We could do our best to get the Air Force to permit us to wear accoutrements that aren't so garish as well. But allowing only some people to wear a "cool" uniform, and not others is elitist.

It not "Elitist" when you are a pilot.  Pilots really ARE cooler than lesser people.
Another former CAP officer