National Commander Suspended

Started by SeattleSarge, August 06, 2007, 05:07:05 PM

ColonelJack

Also on MidwaySix's site, the personnel action from NHQ formally appointing General Courter the Acting National Commander of CAP.

Even if General Pineda did go to the conference (which it now appears he won't), he would not be chairing anything -- Gen. Courter is, for the moment, National CC.

Jack
Jack Bagley, Ed. D.
Lt. Col., CAP (now inactive)
Gill Robb Wilson Award No. 1366, 29 Nov 1991
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
Honorary Admiral, Navy of the Republic of Molossia

Chaplaindon

This whole episode is UGLY ... "goofy-grape" epaulet ugly (and then some)!

... in fact, I wonder if MG Harwell would want his old job back ... ???
Rev. Don Brown, Ch., Lt Col, CAP (Ret.)
Former Deputy Director for CISM at CAP/HQ
Gill Robb Wilson Award # 1660
ACS-Chaplain, VFC, IPFC, DSO, NSO, USCG Auxiliary
AUXOP

JC004

Quote from: ColonelJack on August 07, 2007, 10:18:28 PM
Also on MidwaySix's site, the personnel action from NHQ formally appointing General Courter the Acting National Commander of CAP.

Even if General Pineda did go to the conference (which it now appears he won't), he would not be chairing anything -- Gen. Courter is, for the moment, National CC.

Jack

Pretty cool little puzzle

ColonelJack

"He who should not be named" now says the members of the NB that are "pawns" of the suspended CC will walk out of the meeting when Gen. Courter goes up to gavel it into session.  (I don't see why -- she didn't suspend him, the BoG did.)

I am not sure about the veracity of all that, but I would say this -- any wing or region commander who makes such a display should immediately be removed  from their positions (and as acting CC, Gen. Courter can do that, apparently) for insubordination.  You just don't do that to a general officer, especially one whose authority to chair the board meeting and command CAP has been formalized by NHQ Personnel Actions.

It might mean the National Board meeting wouldn't happen, if enough members "walked out" that a quorum didn't remain, though.

Just a thought.

Jack
Jack Bagley, Ed. D.

Horn229

I've got a question about this whole thing. Since Brig Gen Courter is now the acting CC of CAP, what happens if she is not re-elected as the CV of CAP? Will she give up her duties as acting CC to the new CV? Or will she remain the acting CC with a new CV until the 180 days are up, and then give up her post?
NICHOLAS A. HORN, Senior Member, CAP

ColonelJack

Quote from: Horn229 on August 07, 2007, 10:28:36 PM
I've got a question about this whole thing. Since Brig Gen Courter is now the acting CC of CAP, what happens if she is not re-elected as the CV of CAP? Will she give up her duties as acting CC to the new CV? Or will she remain the acting CC with a new CV until the 180 days are up, and then give up her post?

Well, I am not sure about much here, but do you really think the "floor nominations" that were supposed to be made will now happen?  Or the term extensions, that have been voted down twice already, will pass?  I doubt Gen. Courter will be denied a second term -- but it does make an interesting question. 

Jack
Jack Bagley, Ed. D.

JC004

SeattleSarge

What a bloody farce this has turned out to be.  We couldn't make this stuff up if we tried...

-SeattleSarge
Ronald G. Kruml, TSgt, CAP
Public Affairs - Mission Aircrewman
Seattle Composite Squadron PCR-WA-018
http://www.capseattlesquadron.org

Cecil DP

Quote from: Al Sayre on August 07, 2007, 09:17:28 PM
Yes, but there doesn't appear anything to prevent the BoG from passing a 1 line Constitutional Amendment stating that:  "The BoG has the right to exercise any authority granted to any subordinate body in any matter related to the membership or operation of the Civil Air Patrol."

1.1. Powers of the Board. Under 36 U.S.C. 40304, the Board is directed to exercise the power
granted to CAP as a Federally chartered non-profit corporation, including the power to:
1.1.1. Adopt and amend a constitution, bylaws, and regulations by approval of a majority of the
members of the Board of Governors.
1.1.2. Adopt and alter a corporate seal.
1.1.3. Establish and maintain offices in the District of Columbia and the States, territories, and
possessions of the United States to conduct its affairs.
1.1.4. Acquire, own, lease, encumber, and transfer property as necessary to carry out the purposes
of the corporation.
1.1.5. Sue and be sued.
1.1.6. Do any other act necessary and proper to carry out the purposes of the corporation.1.2. Compliance with 10 U.S.C 9447 . Neither the Board of Governors nor any other component of
CAP may modify or terminate any requirement or authority set forth in 10 U.S.C. 9447.
2 AFI10-2702 27 FEBRUARY 2001
2. Principal Tasks. The Board of Governors is responsible for the operation of CAP as a Federally chartered
non-profit organization. As described in the CAP Constitution and Bylaws and related governing
documents, as its principal tasks, the Board of Governors:
2.1. Reviews and determines long-range plans and programs for CAP.
2.2. Directs improvements in CAP programs, financial positions, legislative relations (consistent with
the Anti-lobbying Act, 18 U.S.C. ยง 1913), asset allocations, and membership development, among
other things. The Board may also consider current and projected policies relating to the effectiveness
of CAP support to the Air Force, the nation, and the overall financial and volunteer wellbeing of CAP
as authorized under public law and this instruction.
2.3. Serves as a pool of expert advisors, either individually or in groups, to various CAP activities.
The individual Board members provide this service at their convenience and subject to their availability.
2.4. Appoints the CAP Executive Director.
2.5. Oversees the CAP Inspector General Program.
2.6. Oversees the activities of the CAP Adverse Action Review Board.
2.7. Oversees and may assign action items to the CAP Committee structure.
2.8. Revises the CAP Constitution and By-laws in accordance with section 1.1.1. of this instruction.
2.9. Inquires into any and all aspects of the CAP volunteer and CAP Corporate activities as it sees fitas authorized under public law.
3. CAP Relationship with the Air Force . As a nonprofit corporation, CAP has a unique relationship
Michael P. McEleney
LtCol CAP
MSG  USA Retired
GRW#436 Feb 85

Cecil DP

Quote from: Smokey on August 07, 2007, 08:11:27 PM
Forget the popcorn concession...

I'm going to sell bullet proof vests.......

Vanguard has already ordered 1000 "Fat Tony" T shirts for sale at the conference.
Michael P. McEleney
LtCol CAP
MSG  USA Retired
GRW#436 Feb 85

Chappie

Quote from: ColonelJack on August 07, 2007, 10:24:58 PM
"He who should not be named" now says the members of the NB that are "pawns" of the suspended CC will walk out of the meeting when Gen. Courter goes up to gavel it into session.  (I don't see why -- she didn't suspend him, the BoG did.)

I am not sure about the veracity of all that, but I would say this -- any wing or region commander who makes such a display should immediately be removed  from their positions (and as acting CC, Gen. Courter can do that, apparently) for insubordination.  You just don't do that to a general officer, especially one whose authority to chair the board meeting and command CAP has been formalized by NHQ Personnel Actions.

It might mean the National Board meeting wouldn't happen, if enough members "walked out" that a quorum didn't remain, though.

Just a thought.

Jack

Good point.   IIRC, as acting National Commander following the ouster resignation of Maj. Gen. Wheless, the ACTING commander (Br. Gen. Pineda) made a couple of changes in the make-up of the NEC.  What would/could preclude the acting National Commander (Br. Gen. Courter) from relieving the command of those who choose to walk out in protest on the spot and appoint new members to the NEC?
Disclaimer:  Not to be confused with the other user that goes by "Chappy"   :)

LtCol White

I would not be surprised if we see a change in the structure of NHQ as a result of TP's actions and possibly even have provisions for more USAF control up at the top to take action in the event of similiar situations in the future to prevent a CC from feeling he is all powerful and immune.

Is it just me or is this entire episode starting to play out like a cold war period cloak and dagger saga involving a deposed 3rd world dictator?
LtCol David P. White CAP   
HQ LAWG

Diplomacy - The ability to tell someone to "Go to hell" and have them look forward to making the trip.

Quote from: LtCol White on August 08, 2007, 12:38:51 AM
I would not be surprised if we see a change in the structure of NHQ as a result of TP's actions and possibly even have provisions for more USAF control up at the top to take action in the event of similiar situations in the future to prevent a CC from feeling he is all powerful and immune.

Is it just me or is this entire episode starting to play out like a cold war period cloak and dagger saga involving a deposed 3rd world dictator?

That might not be a bad thing especially if something like this ever happened again. 

1st Lt Ricky Walsh, CAP
Boston Cadet Squadron
NER-MA002 SE, AEO & ESO

Cecil DP

Quote from: LtCol White on August 08, 2007, 12:38:51 AM

Actually the eason we now have a BofG is that about 15 years ago, the SECAF wanted to fire a Nation Commander and found out she didn't have the authority. That National Commander is still active and working on the National level.
Michael P. McEleney
LtCol CAP
MSG  USA Retired
GRW#436 Feb 85

LtCol White

LtCol David P. White CAP   
HQ LAWG

Diplomacy - The ability to tell someone to "Go to hell" and have them look forward to making the trip.

Quote from: LtCol White on August 08, 2007, 02:17:04 AM
I bet we see changes now

But how long will it take till we see it?  It will take so long to debate the changes we many not see anything new for at least a year.

1st Lt Ricky Walsh, CAP
Boston Cadet Squadron
NER-MA002 SE, AEO & ESO

LtCol White

Quote from: NERMA002 Safety on August 08, 2007, 02:22:02 AM
Quote from: LtCol White on August 08, 2007, 02:17:04 AM
I bet we see changes now

But how long will it take till we see it?  It will take so long to debate the changes we many not see anything new for at least a year.

No, I think these changes will come from the top. SECAF CAPUSAF. I think the kind of changes they will make will be ones that CAP doesn't have a say in since it would involve their ability to take direct action under certain conditions.  I don't think it will take very long for them to come up with this if they already haven't.  But we'll have to wait and see.

Tune in again! Same CAP time! Same CAP channel!!! ( Sorry Batman. Had to steal that one)
LtCol David P. White CAP   
HQ LAWG

jb512

...and does it mean that we'll get our money back for the TPUs???

;)

JC004

RogueLeader

WYWG DP

GRW 3340