National Commander Suspended

Started by SeattleSarge, August 06, 2007, 05:07:05 PM

JC004

Quote from: RogueLeader on August 08, 2007, 03:01:23 AM
Quote from: JC004 on August 08, 2007, 02:55:57 AM
oh yay...

http://www.aero-news.net/index.cfm?ContentBlockID=5eb4c409-386a-424c-b2f9-0e1ec6888624

At the bottom of the page, it was listed as "urgent"  Great. . . . .

came through on my daily "Civil Air Patrol" Google news alerts

and here...12 pages, 2,800+ views and still going strong...

LtCol White

Quote from: jaybird512 on August 08, 2007, 02:53:42 AM
...and does it mean that we'll get our money back for the TPUs???

;)

Sorry but No. There isn't a cure for TPU yet but I hear the vaccine is very close to being completed.  >:D
LtCol David P. White CAP   
HQ LAWG

Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska

Diplomacy - The ability to tell someone to "Go to hell" and have them look forward to making the trip.

RogueLeader

Quote from: JC004 on August 08, 2007, 03:02:39 AM
Quote from: RogueLeader on August 08, 2007, 03:01:23 AM
Quote from: JC004 on August 08, 2007, 02:55:57 AM
oh yay...

http://www.aero-news.net/index.cfm?ContentBlockID=5eb4c409-386a-424c-b2f9-0e1ec6888624

At the bottom of the page, it was listed as "urgent"  Great. . . . .

came through on my daily "Civil Air Patrol" Google news alerts

and here...12 pages, 2,800+ views and still going strong...
Probably the fastest growing thread here on CapTalk.  Mods, any verification?
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

ELTHunter

Quote from: LtCol White on August 08, 2007, 12:38:51 AM
I would not be surprised if we see a change in the structure of NHQ as a result of TP's actions and possibly even have provisions for more USAF control up at the top to take action in the event of similiar situations in the future to prevent a CC from feeling he is all powerful and immune.

Is it just me or is this entire episode starting to play out like a cold war period cloak and dagger saga involving a deposed 3rd world dictator?

I think that would be a good thing.  The current structure is broken beyond repair.
Maj. Tim Waddell, CAP
SER-TN-170
Deputy Commander of Cadets
Emergency Services Officer

Pylon

Quote from: RogueLeader on August 08, 2007, 03:04:40 AM
To my personal recollection, yes, this seems to be the fastest growing and viewed thread in CAPTalk history.  But our statistician buffs would have to verify that; I don't know what the real answer is there.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

RogueLeader

Quote from: Pylon on August 08, 2007, 03:39:30 AM
To my personal recollection, yes, this seems to be the fastest growing and viewed thread in CAPTalk history.  But our statistician buffs would have to verify that; I don't know what the real answer is there.

Man, 225 posts in about 34 hrs. WoW!! :o :o :o
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

Pylon

Quote from: RogueLeader on August 08, 2007, 03:43:05 AM
Man, 225 posts in about 34 hrs. WoW!! :o :o :o

To be honest, I wish more people would voice their piece.  225 is great... where are the rest of the supposed 60,000?   :D
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

arajca

Quote from: Pylon on August 08, 2007, 03:39:30 AM
Think about it, folks.

This is arguably the largest fecal matter impact in CAP in several years. Why wouldn't it have an explosive posting rate.

SeattleSarge

WSFA TV in Montgomery, AL has posted a brief article on this:

http://www.wsfa.com/Global/story.asp?S=6901484&nav=0RdE

-SeattleSarge
Ronald G. Kruml, TSgt, CAP
Public Affairs - Mission Aircrewman
Seattle Composite Squadron PCR-WA-018
http://www.capseattlesquadron.org

RogueLeader

Other than some glaring errors in the report. . . .
They did an ok short blurb about us.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

SeattleSarge

WSFA is the local NBC affiliate.  I think we can expect the story to start moving now. 

Might be a good idea for PAO's to consider how to deal with interest from their local media contacts.

Just thinking out loud...

-SeattleSarge
Ronald G. Kruml, TSgt, CAP
Public Affairs - Mission Aircrewman
Seattle Composite Squadron PCR-WA-018
http://www.capseattlesquadron.org

SARMedTech

I would think that at some level or another as far as perhaps new recruits, etc are concerned that the PAO's are going to need to do a certain amount of spin/damage control. As we have already seen, this is making some new members and prospective members nervous, as it would me. I would definitely put of joining if I were totally new to the organization because I would sort of be wondering, is this thing going down the tubes, especially not knowing if this is the way things always are and not having weathered CAP political storms before.
"Corpsman Up!"

"...The distinct possibility of dying slow, cold and alone...but you also get the chance to save lives, and there is no greater calling in the world than that."

RiverAux

Quote from: SeattleSarge on August 08, 2007, 04:01:47 AM
WSFA is the local NBC affiliate.  I think we can expect the story to start moving now. 

Might be a good idea for PAO's to consider how to deal with interest from their local media contacts.

-SeattleSarge

Easy, refer all media inquries to National Headquarters....

a2capt

Did the government tank when articles of impeachment were brought against Clinton?

We'll get through this.

Simply referring them to National is probably the proper thing to do , but.. I would certainly want to add along with that, "it's not affecting day to day operation of our local unit", that we are still carrying out the CAP mission, etc. Because that is what counts in the beginning and end.

This isn't the first crummy National CC and it probably won't be the last. To me, there are simply just way too many allegations being leveled in the direction of TP that something had to be done, many members have indeed lost faith in the system. The whole thing, with constantly bringing up the same desires to the BoG and "stocking it" by firing Wing CC's via Witch Hunt investigations just sucks.

In the case of CAWG, I can't say I was particularly fond of Col. Nelson's hands off management style, I think it did way more damage than good in may of CAP's roles, letting people essentially run loose at the helm, I was pretty disappointed when the year extension was granted, last Fall- but the way this transpired, was just not right, either.

stillamarine

Quote from: SeattleSarge on August 08, 2007, 04:01:47 AM

-SeattleSarge

We spoke about this at our staff meeting tonight. All inquiries to Squadron Members to be turned to Myself or the CC. Our response will be, "This in no way affects our local operations and if you would like further information, this is how you contact NHQ/PA"
Tim Gardiner, 1st LT, CAP

USMC AD 1996-2001
USMCR    2001-2005  Admiral, Great State of Nebraska Navy  MS, MO, UDF
tim.gardiner@gmail.com

Pumbaa

Well it is going to be interesting how this plays out now since TP sent out his poisen pen email.  In short he already violated the 'No Contact' condition of his suspension.  This is nothing more than a reflection of the mans arrogance and abuse of power.  CAP does NOT need that type of attitude, in particular from the top.

I see this news as getting more legs and will make the national rounds a bit.  In particular if TP again trys to do something to usurp the suspension order.

I also agree with other posters that this will not effect the squadrons on the local level.  We seem to work in a relative vaccum from the day to day HQ crap.  We have our rules and regs, we wear what we are told.  Otherwise what do we get from HQ on a week to week basis?  Nada!  So this is a blip on the radar.

At least TP turned his butt around and did not try and crash the Atlanta shindig.  That would have become pretty ugly.

IMPORTANT THOUGHT HERE***
Personally I think the rank and file should get together and create a 'petition' with a letter basically decalring our no confidence in the MG.  Regardless of the outcome of this investigation now.  his actions.. perceived and executed over the last couple of years and his attitude that he exibited by his recent actions (albeit he reversed himself) show that he is not the leader that the CAP rank and file wish to serve under.

Perhaps an email campaign to HQ would be in order.

I am going to compose a letter and send it to HQ.  I will post it later today when I get home from work.

capchiro

I find it interesting that this story has been "out" for almost 24 hours and nobody in Georgia Wing has sent out an official announcement to anybody that I know of.  I learned of it here and verified it finally on the National website, but being a squadron commander, it seems strange that I wasn't and haven't been notified, especially with the Conference being in our back yard (Atlanta)..  It would be easy for me to be at the Conference and have somebody stick a mike in my face and my response would be "you gotta be s--ting me!!"  Well, since my moniker is on the page, I must watch what I say, but, makes one wonder..
Lt. Col. Harry E. Siegrist III, CAP
Commander
Sweetwater Comp. Sqdn.
GA154

wingnut

THE HORROR, THE HORROR (Colonel Kurtz , Apocalypse Now)

Now don't get me wrong, but there are some similar plot twists: "I love the smell of napalm in the morning."  Colonels to crazy assassins, we are all going to get hurt in this mess it is a stain and a Black EYE for the Tradition of CAP regardless of the outcome.

But understand this the word Apocalypse means; (Greek; -translit. APOKALYPSIS, literally: the lifting of the veil), is a term applied to the disclosure to certain privileged persons of something hidden from the mass of humankind.

WE NEED TO CLEAN OUR HOUSE AND REBUILD FROM THE FOUNDATION,WE ARE TOO FAT AND COMPLACENT, LETS RETURN TO OUR US AIR FORCE ROOTS.

DogCollar

I think that this drama will have an impact on the local units.  I fully expect cadets in my unit to bring this topic up at our next Moral Leadership session.  I suspect that there will be lots of questions and feelings about following the rules with honor and integrity.  I won't try to sanitize any of this.  That would be doing a tremendous disservice to the cadets.

I also believe that this episode shows that there are some pretty major gaps in the accountability processes and protocols on the national level.  I would hope that NHQ would be proactive in this matter by appointing a special panel of organizational ethics and leadership experts from outside CAP to investigate and recommend wholesale changes, with a special eye towards top to bottom lines of accountability.
Ch. Maj. Bill Boldin, CAP

BillB

I don't think this reflects on CAP as an organization, but rather to the corporate structure. But here I'm biased since I was a member when USAF controlled CAP and staffed it to the Wing level. But I notice the Board of Governors did not boot the National Commander, only suspended him allowing the investigation/appeal to go forward. So to date MG Pineda has not been found guilty, but only that probable cause exists.
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104