October 22, 2020, 12:14:22 pm

Onboarding New Pilots

Started by JohhnyD, October 16, 2020, 04:22:46 am

etodd

Quote from: NovemberWhiskey on October 16, 2020, 11:39:07 pmIf you're interested in orientation flights and flight instruction, you would be better off looking at the requirements/qualification times for CAP Orientation Pilots and Instructor Pilots rather than the Mission Pilot ES specialty qualification, which is a completely different set of requirements.

Being qualified as a Mission Pilot does not permit you to give O-rides nor instruct. In fact, there is no commonality between the MP specialty qualification and the CAP pilot qualifications required to do those things beyond basic CAP Pilot onboarding.

All true. Its easy when you're getting your first F5 and being made a Transport Pilot to also get signed off as an O'Ride Pilot.

And maybe it varies by Wing (?) but Mission Pilots get more free time. As in free proficiency flying and free F5s.

And if you happen to be available on O-Ride days, you might get a sortie or two once or twice a year. I guess it varies by Squadron, but we seem to see many more opportunities to fly for MPs.

So I always encourage new pilots to go the distance and get Quals for everything. You have a much better chance of getting time in the plane. When the call goes out, you can always raise your hand.
MS - MO - AP - MP - FRO - ESO

sUAS MP - sUAS Instructor - sUAS Check Pilot

JohhnyD

Quote from: NovemberWhiskey on October 16, 2020, 11:39:07 pm
Quote from: JohhnyD on October 16, 2020, 11:22:29 pm
Quote from: etodd on October 16, 2020, 05:08:30 pmWhats your average time from new member to qualified Mission Pilot? Took me 6 months, but seems some are getting it done quicker, and others taking years.
I am hearing the same, would love to trim that, we really want to ramp up O Flights and AC training flights.
If you're interested in orientation flights and flight instruction, you would be better off looking at the requirements/qualification times for CAP Orientation Pilots and Instructor Pilots rather than the Mission Pilot ES specialty qualification, which is a completely different set of requirements.

Being qualified as a Mission Pilot does not permit you to give O-rides nor instruct. In fact, there is no commonality between the MP specialty qualification and the CAP pilot qualifications required to do those things beyond basic CAP Pilot onboarding.
Indeed, we want both. AC training is in the MP arena, but with our CP nearly double 24 months ago, we also need more O flights.