October 22, 2020, 12:24:27 pm

Onboarding New Pilots

Started by JohhnyD, October 16, 2020, 04:22:46 am

JohhnyD

We are onboarding new pilots regularly.

Does anyone have a simplified view of the process that they can share with me?

A checklist or flow-chart with a timeline would be ideal.

Eclipse

JohhnyD

Fubar

Quote from: JohhnyD on October 16, 2020, 05:52:40 amThank you. 56 pages is a tad more than I am looking for, is there a flow chart?

Oh the snark that comes to mind. Against my typical nature, I've decided to refrain from picking on pilots today.

SarDragon

Come on, folks. We have better things to do than ride herd on a bunch of alleged adults acting like third graders on the playground. No offense intended toward third graders.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Capt Thompson

As I'm not a pilot, I'm not sure if this is helpful or not:

Checklist (Initial Requirements)

Be a current, active CAP member at least 17 years of age
Possess a valid FAA private, commercial, or airline transport pilot certificate
Possess a valid FAA Class III or higher medical certificate (not required for gliders)
Possess a current flight review IAW FAR 61.56

Checklist (After joining)

Enter your flight documents in eServices as outlined in the section that discusses Operations Qualifications
Complete the CAP Level 1 Course (Your Professional Development Officer can answer any questions you may have)
Complete Cadet Protection Program Training (CPPT) (This will be completed as part of the Level 1 course above)
Complete Aircraft Ground Handling (AGH)
Coordinate onboarding flight with your mentor and unit leadership
Onboarding flight training can be flown on approved training mission
Reference CAPS 71-1 for more information
Complete the statement of understanding in Operations Qualifications.  The Statement of Understanding can be found on the Operations Qualifications page of eServices by clicking on "Prerequisites" in the left-hand menu under "Pilots".
Once prepared for your CAPF 5 flight, schedule and fly

This was found here: https://www.gocivilairpatrol.com/programs/emergency-services/pilots/vfr-pilot-requirements

Capt Matt Thompson
Deputy Commander for Cadets, Historian, Public Affairs Officer

Mitchell - 31 OCT 98 (#44670) Earhart - 1 OCT 00 (#11401)

NovemberWhiskey

There is literally a checklist on page 44 of CAPP 70-12. It's in Part 4, which is helpfully labeled "Pilot Requirements Checklist" in the table of contents, which is on page 2 of the document: the first page that isn't the cover page of the pamphlet.

etodd

Show them the Mission Pilot SQTR Worksheet early on, so they can start working on the four FEMA courses, etc.
MS - MO - AP - MP - FRO - ESO

sUAS MP - sUAS Instructor - sUAS Check Pilot

etodd

Quote from: JohhnyD on October 16, 2020, 04:22:46 amWe are onboarding new pilots regularly.

Whats your average time from new member to qualified Mission Pilot? Took me 6 months, but seems some are getting it done quicker, and others taking years.

Luis R. Ramos

Why am I reminded that when I was a college librarian and I showed some students the Cliff's Notes for a classic book, they asked for a summary of the Cliff's Notes?
Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

etodd

It takes awhile for that high hour Commercial pilot, that flies often, maybe daily ... to get used to the idea that CAP considers him/her to be a rookie. Having to often beg to get another Flight Review (F5) even though he just got one from a CFI last week. He finally gets setup for a F5, and it winds up being with some low time CAP CFI that only flies 30 hours a year for CAP. And the CAP CFI wants to grill him for 4 hours of oral. Etc. , etc.  🤣

I know, I know ... it's the "CAP Way"

We all had to do it, so should the new guy.

Eclipse

Quote from: etodd on October 16, 2020, 08:07:42 pmIt takes awhile for that high hour Commercial pilot, that flies often, maybe daily ... to get used to the idea that CAP considers him/her to be a rookie. Having to often beg to get another Flight Review (F5) even though he just got one from a CFI last week. He finally gets setup for a F5, and it winds up being with some low time CAP CFI that only flies 30 hours a year for CAP. And the CAP CFI wants to grill him for 4 hours of oral. Etc. , etc.  🤣

^ and as long as you characterize it like this, you don't have to worry about doing it much.

Great circle of life.

CAP9907

Quote from: etodd on October 16, 2020, 08:07:42 pmIt takes awhile for that high hour Commercial pilot, that flies often, maybe daily ... to get used to the idea that CAP considers him/her to be a rookie. Having to often beg to get another Flight Review (F5) even though he just got one from a CFI last week. He finally gets setup for a F5, and it winds up being with some low time CAP CFI that only flies 30 hours a year for CAP. And the CAP CFI wants to grill him for 4 hours of oral. Etc. , etc.  🤣

I know, I know ... it's the "CAP Way"

What is your suggested solution to this, then?

~9907
21 yrs of service

Our Members Code of Conduct can be found here:   http://captalk.net/index.php?topic=13.0

NovemberWhiskey

Quote from: etodd on October 16, 2020, 08:07:42 pmI know, I know ... it's the "CAP Way"

With all respect for the work you have put in to achieve your qualifications, it is tremendously saddening for me to hear someone who is a Mission Pilot and a Flight Release Officer to talk like that about critical aircrew professionalism objectives.

You may not mean it like that, but it comes across that way.

etodd

Quote from: CAP9907 on October 16, 2020, 08:30:07 pmWhat is your suggested solution to this, then?

It was just an observation, as well as a combining of dozens of comments from new pilots joining I've heard from. It's their frustration with the CAP system and especially how slow it can be to get a pilot to MP.

Yes, we all have to learn the CAP WAY. It's part of the gig. Embrace it or leave.

And anytime someone says anything about eliminating anything, the Safety Officers will remind us why it's there. :)

It is what it is. I just understand the frustrations. But we only have so many CFIs and various check pilots.

JohhnyD

Quote from: etodd on October 16, 2020, 05:08:30 pmWhats your average time from new member to qualified Mission Pilot? Took me 6 months, but seems some are getting it done quicker, and others taking years.
I am hearing the same, would love to trim that, we really want to ramp up O Flights and AC training flights.

PHall

Biggest factors I've seen in getting someone qual'd as a Mission Pilot seems to be
1. Aircraft Availability and 2. CAP Checkpilot availability.
Trying to get both at the same time can be quite the trick at times.

etodd

Quote from: PHall on October 16, 2020, 11:30:10 pmBiggest factors I've seen in getting someone qual'd as a Mission Pilot seems to be
1. Aircraft Availability and 2. CAP Checkpilot availability.
Trying to get both at the same time can be quite the trick at times.

And it can be a bit confusing sometimes when you realize a Checkpilot that can give a F5, and make you a Transport Pilot, isn't necessarily the same as a Mission Checkpilot who can give a F91.

NovemberWhiskey

Quote from: JohhnyD on October 16, 2020, 11:22:29 pm
Quote from: etodd on October 16, 2020, 05:08:30 pmWhats your average time from new member to qualified Mission Pilot? Took me 6 months, but seems some are getting it done quicker, and others taking years.
I am hearing the same, would love to trim that, we really want to ramp up O Flights and AC training flights.
If you're interested in orientation flights and flight instruction, you would be better off looking at the requirements/qualification times for CAP Orientation Pilots and Instructor Pilots rather than the Mission Pilot ES specialty qualification, which is a completely different set of requirements.

Being qualified as a Mission Pilot does not permit you to give O-rides nor instruct. In fact, there is no commonality between the MP specialty qualification and the CAP pilot qualifications required to do those things beyond basic CAP Pilot onboarding.