Main Menu

Sensor on AF1

Started by Eclipse, September 14, 2020, 05:37:15 PM

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

Luis R. Ramos

Part of a defense system alerting inbounds? Or have I watched Air Force 1 and The President's Plane is Missing too many times?
Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

NovemberWhiskey

Yeah, that distinctive look of a chalcogenide optical surface, probably for some kind of directed energy infrared countermeasure system intended to dazzle a seeker head. Looks rather too close to the engine exhaust to be a classic "hot-brick" design.

PHall

Quote from: Luis R. Ramos on September 14, 2020, 05:43:07 PMPart of a defense system alerting inbounds? Or have I watched Air Force 1 and The President's Plane is Missing too many times?

Take everything you saw in Air Force 1 and The President's Plane is Missing with a very large, as in boulder sized, grain of salt.
Let's just say a few liberties were taken.

Shuman 14

The concealed Point Defense Lasers are very nice.  ;-)
Joseph J. Clune
Lieutenant Colonel, Military Police

USMCR: 1990 - 1992                           USAR: 1993 - 1998, 2000 - 2003, 2005 - Present     CAP: 2013 - 2014, 2021 - Present
INARNG: 1992 - 1993, 1998 - 2000      Active Army: 2003 - 2005                                       USCGAux: 2004 - Present

SarDragon

Before I read all the comments, I had the thought that it was something associated with infrared. :)
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Spam

Quote from: SarDragon on September 15, 2020, 01:30:23 AMBefore I read all the comments, I had the thought that it was something associated with infrared. :)

Modified:  I started to post some snark, but changed my mind...

To reinforce the AE lesson, if you are interested, look up the terms DIRCM and LAIRCM (the below entry has a cross reference, as the large aircraft variant, LAIRCM, is tailored to bandwidth, threat, and profiles). It is indeed some interesting stuff, and IRCMs like this are increasingly widely in service on many platforms. If you ever wondered what all those "bumps" are, you could start with these!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Directional_Infrared_Counter_Measures

V/r
Spam

Fubar

My guess was rear view mirror, so I'm glad we got that cleared up.