Main Menu

Cadet Orides

Started by etodd, March 09, 2020, 04:47:17 AM

etodd

At the end of a day and you just have one Cadet left to fly, why am I being told you cannot offer a Senior member a back seat ride along? I've looked in all the Orides pamphlets and can't find it. Probably staring me in the face.
"Don't try to explain it, just bow your head
Breathe in, breathe out, move on ..."

PHall

Beacuse the Air Force is paying for CADET O-Rides. Now if the senior wants to pay for their part of the ride.

etodd

Quote from: PHall on March 09, 2020, 04:51:40 AMBeacuse the Air Force is paying for CADET O-Rides. Now if the senior wants to pay for their part of the ride.

Even that doesn't work. WMIRS will not let you enter a Senior member in the back seat.

PHall

Quote from: etodd on March 09, 2020, 05:03:42 AM
Quote from: PHall on March 09, 2020, 04:51:40 AMBeacuse the Air Force is paying for CADET O-Rides. Now if the senior wants to pay for their part of the ride.

Even that doesn't work. WMIRS will not let you enter a Senior member in the back seat.

Then I guess your senior member gets to stay on the ground.

etodd

Yep.  Just seemed like a waste to have empty seats that could give members opportunities to fly. I still haven't found it in the regs but since WMIRS will not allow it it's a moot point anyway.

PHall

They probably have WMIRS programmed like that to avoid the accounting fun you get when you try to mix Air Force money with member's money.

etodd

Quote from: PHall on March 09, 2020, 07:42:21 PMThey probably have WMIRS programmed like that to avoid the accounting fun you get when you try to mix Air Force money with member's money.

I get it. But still can't find it in the Regs.  Just seems like any time we could get a non-ES member up in a plane, it just might get them interested in ES. Plane already flying with a Cadet, isn't costing any more to have a back seat person. Just seems like such a wasted backseat opportunity.

Maybe the marketing and retention folks could get an idea from this and run it up the pole.

Eclipse

Quote from: etodd on March 10, 2020, 12:33:50 AMMaybe the marketing and retention folks could get an idea from this and run it up the pole.

No - leave it off the pole.

There's a reason it's for cadets only, they are >cadet< orientation rides.
You won't find a prohibition in the regs because it isn't necessary, the
only thing you will find is who is allowed in the plane.

A pilot.

Up to three cadets.

Anything else lends itself quickly to exactly the kind of abuse CAP looks to
avoid with ear-marked appropriated funds, and would be a great way to
lose the money.

BTDT.

"That Others May Zoom"

etodd

Quote from: Eclipse on March 10, 2020, 12:57:23 AMAnything else lends itself quickly to exactly the kind of abuse CAP looks to
avoid with ear-marked appropriated funds, and would be a great way to
lose the money.

BTDT.

Yes, I can see how some might would have abused it. Always someone who can spoil a good thing.

PHall

There's also the O Flight syllabus you're supposed to be following for each cadet o flight.
They usually take the entire flight to accomplish and any additional stuff you do for that senior in back is either going to cut into the syllabus or extend the flight beyond the allotted flight time.

TheSkyHornet

I think what can happen is that you end up with senior members who start showing up to O-Flights to catch a free ride for recreation/hobby.

Is it an incentive to get seniors involved? Sure. Absolutely.

But CAP flying is supposed to be mission-focused (which includes cadet flying as part of the training program). Ride-alongs are really just a joyride activity. The Air Force is paying for training and education, and me sitting in the back enjoying the view isn't training.

As a senior member, I totally wish I could tag along. But I also understand why I can't/shouldn't.