Civil Air Patrol Recruiting badge? Anyone currently a recruiter?

Started by Hawk200, December 23, 2019, 10:02:07 PM

Hawk200

Was on Vanguard looking for a few things, and ran across the Recruiter badge.

Read the pamphlet on it, but was wondering if we had any recruiters on here that could talk about the program a little more.

The workshop/seminar I'm curious about. Has anyone attended one? Are there any online things people can take?

And, no, I'm not looking to earn the badge, I'm just curious about the position.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

baronet68

I've hosted and/or attended several Recruiting & Retention workshops.  The primary content is typically around ways to improve initial member engagement, , how to communicate with potential members, identifying and building relationships with potential member pools, and how to retain members once they've committed to join CAP.

Here is a playlist with 22 videos covering those topics and more:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLSiWtr2p4TIZo1qzhogUc5Fd9v6nHyWUJ

Michael Moore, Lt Col, CAP
National Recruiting & Retention Manager

etodd

Anyone a recruiter?

Sure, it's a position, but we don't seem to emphasize enough that every single member is a recruiter.

Stop waiting for The Recruiter to swell the ranks. It's everyone' job to tell their friends, relatives, coworkers, fellow students, peers, and anyone at the grocery store willing to listen to your elevator speech. 😀

(Sure, slightly off topic)
"Don't try to explain it, just bow your head
Breathe in, breathe out, move on ..."

NIN

Quote from: etodd on December 23, 2019, 11:47:03 PM
Anyone a recruiter?

<wooshing sound>
Did someone call a recruiter?

QuoteSure, it's a position, but we don't seem to emphasize enough that every single member is a recruiter.

Thats an old saw. "Everyone is a recruiter."  You're certainly eligible to take credit for recruiting a particular member.

A better way to put it is "Everybody is an ambassador."

Not everybody is a recruiter. Not everybody is cut out to be a recruiter. Not everybody is well-informed and a good enough communicator to  be a recruiter. Sometimes, there are people who I'd prefer didn't try to be a recruiter. Because they're kind of the "un-recruiter" when they talk. That person should be as far away from the real "recruiting" as possible.

QuoteStop waiting for The Recruiter to swell the ranks. It's everyone' job to tell their friends, relatives, coworkers, fellow students, peers, and anyone at the grocery store willing to listen to your elevator speech. 😀

You're kind of proving my point, Ed. Nobody's "waiting for the recruiter to swell the ranks." However, if you're throwing an elevator pitch at the poor lady behind you in the checkout line, I'm gonna grab you by the ear and have a discussion about not looking like a complete potzer in public.

Again, be an ambassador to the program.
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

NIN

Quote from: Hawk200 on December 23, 2019, 10:02:07 PM
Was on Vanguard looking for a few things, and ran across the Recruiter badge.

Read the pamphlet on it, but was wondering if we had any recruiters on here that could talk about the program a little more.

The workshop/seminar I'm curious about. Has anyone attended one? Are there any online things people can take?

And, no, I'm not looking to earn the badge, I'm just curious about the position.

The recruiting specialty track is a thing. What do you want to know about it?

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

etodd

Quote from: NIN on December 24, 2019, 02:38:56 AM
Anyone a recruiter?

<wooshing sound>

QuoteSure, it's a position, but we don't seem to emphasize enough that every single member is a recruiter.

Thats an old saw. "Everyone is a recruiter."  You're certainly eligible to take credit for recruiting a particular member.

Not everybody is a recruiter. Not everybody is cut out to be a recruiter. Not everybody is well-informed and a good enough communicator to  be a recruiter. Sometimes, there are people who I'd prefer didn't try to be a recruiter. Because they're kind of the "un-recruiter" when they talk. That person should be as far away from the real "recruiting" as possible.

QuoteStop waiting for The Recruiter to swell the ranks. It's everyone' job to tell their friends, relatives, coworkers, fellow students, peers, and anyone at the grocery store willing to listen to your elevator speech. 😀

You're kind of proving my point, Ed. Nobody's "waiting for the recruiter to swell the ranks." However, if you're throwing an elevator pitch at the poor lady behind you in the checkout line, I'm gonna grab you by the ear and have a discussion about not looking like a complete potzer in public.

I knew I'd poke a bear with that one, just didn't know which bear.   >:D
"Don't try to explain it, just bow your head
Breathe in, breathe out, move on ..."

CAP9907

Quote from: etodd on December 24, 2019, 03:01:55 AM
Quote from: NIN on December 24, 2019, 02:38:56 AM
Anyone a recruiter?

<wooshing sound>

I knew I'd poke a bear with that one, just didn't know which bear.   >:D

And as I've said before: 'poking the bear' is neither welcome or needed. If you think that you may be doing that, logoff and sleep on it.

~9907
21 yrs of service

Our Members Code of Conduct can be found here:   http://captalk.net/index.php?topic=13.0

TheSkyHornet

We don't have a Recruiting & Retention Officer assigned at the moment; however, I'm the Assistant Public Affairs Officer for cadet-related outreach.

I've received numerous inquiries about joining and whatnot. I have not once logged myself as a person who recruited anyone that came in the door that I didn't know previously in my "private life." I consider it a chance membership---I didn't actually recruit them in; they found us.

We periodically present Recruiter Ribbons, usually to cadets who recruit someone from school or church, it seems.

MacGruff

So? What is it that Hawk200 wanted to know? Was is answered?

Recruiting and Retention is a "thing". There are recruiting ribbons that both cadets and Senior Members can earn - they are actually different from each other and have slightly different requirements.

NIN is correct in that recruiting should not be done willy-nilly to any and every one ... but we are woefully underrepresented in the population.

So, back to my original question: What's the question?

???

Hawk200

Quote from: baronet68 on December 23, 2019, 10:46:43 PM
I've hosted and/or attended several Recruiting & Retention workshops.  The primary content is typically around ways to improve initial member engagement, , how to communicate with potential members, identifying and building relationships with potential member pools, and how to retain members once they've committed to join CAP.

Here is a playlist with 22 videos covering those topics and more:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLSiWtr2p4TIZo1qzhogUc5Fd9v6nHyWUJ
Playlist now saved. Thank you.

Was wondering about materials used, and what was being done.

Mostly curious about the nuts and bolts of the program.

Someone made a point about being ambassadors, I think it's a good point.

But, it's nice to see an actual organized recruiting program.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk