LAPG Atlas 12 backpack and chest attachment now in BLAZE ORANGE

Started by chimera388, November 16, 2019, 12:15:27 AM

chimera388

I've been working for a while on this project, and it has finally come to fruition. LA Police Gear has been a favorite backpack supplier of Ground Teams for a while, partially because their 12 hour pack offers features many others don't at a price lower than the more expensive competitors like 5.11. Chief among those features is the ability to strap their chest pack attachment to the straps on the front of the backpack, eliminating the need for a complete, separate cargo/tactical vest. But as you all know, many ground team members still dislike having to wear the backpack, vest, and then throwing the reflective vest on top of all of that for the required visibility we need for safety. The solution is here.

At a recent event, I spoke with the CEO of LAPG and asked him the feasibility of making their versatile "Atlas 12" backpack and chest pack attachment in blaze orange. I wanted the same kind of visibility that the California Wing had when the orange shirt ground team uniform was authorized. He understood exactly, acquired the "high-vis" orange shirt from 5.11 Tactical, and had the Atlas 12 and Chest Pack combo mocked up in the same orange fabric just to meet the needs of the Civil Air Patrol. It is now available for pre-order.

This order is a one-off. When we reach the required number of pre-orders, they will order the giant spool of blaze orange fabric and create the packs and vests just for us and ship them out. They're even offering them at a slight discount off the regular price of the 2-item combination! All we have to do is come up with the 500 pre-orders. This may seem like a lot, but with 64,000 nationwide members, it's certainly achievable.

But not without YOUR help. I'm posting to ask you to bring this to the attention of your Squadrons and Wings and, through proper channels, make your members aware of this product. Remember, CAP has no official affiliation with LAPG, and we cannot use our command influence to improperly direct people to purchase this, but we can make them aware of the one time opportunity. If you have contacts in other Wings, please spread this message to them and ask them to do the same.

Thanks everyone! Let's make it happen together!

https://lapolicegear.com/la-police-gear-hi-vis-orange-atlas-12-hour-backpack-chest-pack-attachment/

Eclipse

This is really sweet, but my suggestion would be to make it Ansi II compliant in yellow so it suits the vest requirement, this as presented would not
meet CAP's mandate.

"That Others May Zoom"

SarDragon

Pretty kool. I'd buy it if I was in the GT business.

However comma having the bright orange pack technically does not negate the vest requirement, same as the shirt didn't. The vest has a specific requirement to be compliant with ANSI II/III visibility requirements, which include reflectivity and contrast standards.

In response to Eclipse's comment, either orange or yellow-green meet the ANSI standard.

More here.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Eclipse

Quote from: SarDragon on November 16, 2019, 01:47:01 AM
In response to Eclipse's comment, either orange or yellow-green meet the ANSI standard.

No argument there, I just think there's a better chance of getting the orders if it's lime yellow as most of the
ES / Construction / LEA / FD world has has moved on to yellow.

At $70 I would seriously consider this, but not in orange and it would have to be Ansi.

"That Others May Zoom"

PHall

The Blaze Orange is nice but it needs reflective material to meet the requirements otherwise you still need to wear the vest.

xyzzy

Quote from: Eclipse on November 16, 2019, 01:56:49 AM

No argument there, I just think there's a better chance of getting the orders if it's lime yellow as most of the
ES / Construction / LEA / FD world has has moved on to yellow.

At $70 I would seriously consider this, but not in orange and it would have to be Ansi.

No backpack could ever meet the ANSI/ISEA 107-2010 class 2 requirements, because it only goes on the back of the wearer. There is no provision for two different pieces of apparel to be worn together to meet the requirement.

Interestingly, judging by the summaries I've seen, the standard doesn't get into how the wearer must wear the garment. I'm not aware of anything in the standard that says you can't wear a backpack over the vest. Of course, it wouldn't be wise to cover much of the vest with a dull-colored backpack.

As for color choice, keep in mind the vest isn't just worn along roads, it's also worn in the woods, potentially during hunting season. Hunters and others in the woods during hunting season usually wear orange; that's what the hunter is used to look for. Also, in spring, the leaves can look a lot like yellow-green, especially if backlit. There is a spring turkey season (admittedly, much less popular than fall deer season).

Gunsotsu

The vest, per the stated requirements, must be the worn over the outermost garment. A garment is an article of clothing. A backpack is not an article of clothing.

It ain't rocket surgery, people.

chuckmilam

If this is actually BLAZE orange, it would be great for hunting season as well. 

jeders

The topic has been cleaned up to remove all political posts and re-opened. Please keep your personal political opinions off of CAPTalk.
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

Eclipse

Quote from: Gunsotsu on November 16, 2019, 04:19:03 AM
The vest, per the stated requirements, must be the worn over the outermost garment. A garment is an article of clothing. A backpack is not an article of clothing.

A safety vest crumpled under a black or camo backpack, often done so on purpose, is all but useless.

"That Others May Zoom"

abdsp51

Then simple a rewrite of the requirement to state an additional vest will be worn over it.  Now the member is wearing it there is one on the bag and visible.

Holding Pattern

Quote from: abdsp51 on November 16, 2019, 08:57:42 PM

Then simple a rewrite of the requirement to state an additional vest will be worn over it.  Now the member is wearing it there is one on the bag and visible.

Oh good, we needed to look even sillier with camo uniforms, reflective vests, and reflective vests on top of our backpacks as well.

We should go full silly and mandate PT belts on them too.

PHall

Quote from: Holding Pattern on December 07, 2019, 04:34:54 AM
Quote from: abdsp51 on November 16, 2019, 08:57:42 PM

Oh good, we needed to look even sillier with camo uniforms, reflective vests, and reflective vests on top of our backpacks as well.

We should go full silly and mandate PT belts on them too.

Careful, the Safety Guys might read this...

CAP9907

21 yrs of service

Our Members Code of Conduct can be found here:   http://captalk.net/index.php?topic=13.0