Please help this mom find Uniforms

Started by Sweetpea3829, November 08, 2019, 02:51:05 PM

Sweetpea3829

Quote from: Fester on November 11, 2019, 05:52:55 AM
My two cents....

He has absolutely no need for a Service Coat at his age or grade (what some call rank).

As a cadet in the 90's, my mother never needed to read a single one of the manuals.  It was my interest and my hobby.  If I needed a uniform, it was my responsibility to get it.  Luckily for me, I am an Air Force brat and MCSS was an easy, short walk from the house.  If I needed something sewn on a uniform, I had to do it myself or tell her EXACTLY where it went.  Your son is a Cadet NCO now.  Next time you have a question about what the manuals and regulations say, task him with finding the answer for you.  :D

But if you really do want him to have a Service Coat, eBay is best.  As is the "old style" service coat.  The one with four pockets with four pocket flaps.  I think phase out date for those for Cadets isn't until 2021.

I agree with your sentiments on both the need and him taking the initiative.  That said, the procedures and manuals are confusing for folks with no military background.  Obtaining information has been an overall challenge.  And while my Uncle is a 32 year Navy veteran... We did not know of his existence (or he ours), until a year and a half ago.  Long story, but thanks Ancestry. 

The other thing to keep in mind is that this jacket purchase was supposed to be as a surprise gift.  Which means the onus is on me to figure out what to purchase.

That said, in consideration of the advice offered here, I think I'm going to hold off on the jacket until his Earhart award. 

It doesn't make sense to source the jacket, spend over $120 at least, just to have him outgrow it with his next major growth spurt.  He's 12...growth spurts are just around the corner.

Thanks so very much to everyone for your advice and help.  Much appreciated!