Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 19, 2019, 01:04:35 PM
Home Help Login Register
News:

CAP Talk  |  General Discussion  |  The Lobby  |  Topic: Tribal Land Squadron question
Pages: 1 [2]  All Send this topic Print
Author Topic: Tribal Land Squadron question  (Read 1086 times)
SarDragon
Global Moderator

Unit: Smoots

« Reply #20 on: November 05, 2019, 11:01:09 PM »

Tribal lands are sovereign in regards to the law, however squadron charters fall solely under the purview of NHQ who decides what wing your chartered unit is a member of. And it's gonna be the state that you're in.

Well.... "sovereign" to a point.   Right up until the Sheriff comes and gets you on your tribal land and takes you to jail.  A lot of that depends on the state.

You guys were allowed on the Reservation only because the Tribe said you could come on the Reservation.
More then a few Tribes have banned State/County/City Law Enforcement from their Reservations. Usually because of stupidity on one or both sides in the past.
Most of the tribes here in California have no problems with the local sheriff coming on to their Reservation.
Don't even think of it on the Navajo Reservation in Arizona.

I was on a mission a bunch of years ago, on reservation land, and nobody seemed to care that we were there. The crash was initially located by aircraft, and the ground team went in to look for survivors (single occupant, no survivor) and assist the sheriff's helicopter.

NTSB report - LAX02FA049
Report to moderator   Logged
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret
PHall
Salty & Seasoned Contributor

« Reply #21 on: November 06, 2019, 12:21:37 AM »

The tribes in Socal don't have a problem with us coming on their Reservations.
The Soboba Tribe wouldn't let Riv Co Sheriff on the Reservation for awhile but their problems were solved when a new sheriff was elected.
SarDragon
Global Moderator

Unit: Smoots

« Reply #22 on: November 06, 2019, 02:22:09 AM »

The tribes in Socal don't have a problem with us coming on their Reservations.
The Soboba Tribe wouldn't let Riv Co Sheriff on the Reservation for awhile but their problems were solved when a new sheriff was elected.

Interesting. That's exactly where this was, in Dec 2001.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret
Flying Pig
Salty & Seasoned Contributor

« Reply #23 on: November 06, 2019, 04:09:42 PM »

I was a Deputy with Riverside Sheriff.   ;D  Ive had many a pursuit across their reservation. 
Eclipse
Too Much Free Time With Silver Clasp

« Reply #24 on: November 06, 2019, 06:03:32 PM »

Why is this a question?

Still no response.

I can't imagine why anyone would want to impose the administrative hassle and burdens,
not to mention potential lack of activities and missions being a pseudo-overseas unit, or
even a direct-to-NHQ unit would bring with it.

This makes no sense.

Fester
Seasoned Member

« Reply #25 on: November 07, 2019, 07:10:46 AM »

Why is this a question?

Still no response.

I can't imagine why anyone would want to impose the administrative hassle and burdens,
not to mention potential lack of activities and missions being a pseudo-overseas unit, or
even a direct-to-NHQ unit would bring with it.

This makes no sense.

I posited this question back on Oct 30.  Methinks we aren't going to get an answer.
1stLt, CAP
Squadron CC
Group CPO
Eaker - 1996
NIN
Administrator

Unit: of issue

« Reply #26 on: November 07, 2019, 12:05:08 PM »

I think that this one has been discussed to the maximum extent needed.   These aren't the droids OP was looking for.

Darin Ninness, Lt Col, CAP
Sq Bubba, Wing Dude, National Guy
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2019 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.
Pages: 1 [2]  All Send this topic Print 
CAP Talk  |  General Discussion  |  The Lobby  |  Topic: Tribal Land Squadron question