Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 19, 2019, 08:50:01 PM
Home Help Login Register
News:

CAP Talk  |  Operations  |  Tools of the trade  |  Topic: EFJ Radio Button programming question
Pages: [1] Send this topic Print
Author Topic: EFJ Radio Button programming question  (Read 1290 times)
Holding Pattern
Salty & Seasoned Contributor

Unit: Victory

« on: June 12, 2019, 01:57:42 AM »

Is there a slide in one of the comm training courses that includes a picture of which buttons are programmed for what? I'm looking to add one to my squadron guides.
Report to moderator   Logged
SarDragon
Global Moderator

Unit: Smoots

« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2019, 03:46:05 AM »

I doubt it, but here's what I have:

F1-High/Low Power
F-2 Scan On/Off
F-3 Scan Edit
F-4 Normal Selective
F-5 Clear/Secure
F-6 Key Select

This is the CAWG button set. Your wing may have them programmed differently.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret
arajca

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2019, 12:06:19 PM »

I think that's the National settings. The only difference would be if you have a radio that's not equipped for encryption. Then F-5 and F-6 would be different, but those vary.
SarDragon
Global Moderator

Unit: Smoots

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2019, 11:29:56 PM »

I think that's the National settings. The only difference would be if you have a radio that's not equipped for encryption. Then F-5 and F-6 would be different, but those vary.

Our radios are currently not set up for encryption, and when you press F5 or F6, all you get is the error beep.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret
Fubar

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2019, 04:20:31 AM »

Our radios are currently not set up for encryption, and when you press F5 or F6, all you get is the error beep.

Shhhh... that's that encryption working.
Brad

Unit: MER-SC-020

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2019, 05:45:56 AM »

For CAP-owned radios, they must comply with the National standard programming plan, current as of 2013. Here's an excerpt (non-FOUO document):

BUTTONS:  You must NOT reprogram the radio button settings, with two exceptions:
1. For Version 1 Mobile radios ONLY, you may reprogram the “Clear/Secure” and “Key Select” buttons, as these radios are not encryption capable.
2. On the portables, you can program the center side button as desired, though you cannot move any of the existing button functions  to it other than “Keypad lock”, which can be moved from the top orange button [if] needed.  Note that this is programmed to “Scan” in the new codeplugs.

For the mobile radios, the buttons are as follows:   
From left to right:
F1: (Above the Mic jack) Hi/Lo Power
F2: Scan
F3: Scan Edit
F4: Normal/Select 
F5: Clear/Secure
F6: Key Select

If you have lost the proper buttons (they pull out, and replacements are simply snapped in), contact
the NTC for replacements.
Brad Lee
Maj, CAP
Assistant Deputy Chief of Staff, Communications
Mid-Atlantic Region
K4RMN
Pages: [1] Send this topic Print 
CAP Talk  |  Operations  |  Tools of the trade  |  Topic: EFJ Radio Button programming question