Unit Website Initiative Launch Date announced!

Started by Eclipse, January 18, 2019, 07:19:47 pm

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

etodd

Quote from: CAPTShaw on January 25, 2019, 12:16:49 am

Has anyone found any discussion about SiteViz?


SiteViz is not new to CAP as they have been doing the national site for awhile (not sure how long).

I'm not sure at all as to how, at that time, Hdqs researched companies to do the work and decided SiteViz was best for the job?

Maybe they floated a RFP out nationally and SiteViz was the lowest bidder?

Maybe a SiteViz snake oil salesman just happened to walk in the door at Montgomery at just the right time, and sold someone there, and it was accepted without getting proposals from others?

IDK.  Its all a done deal, just as this new one is. As with any organization like ours, or some business corporation, things get decided at corporate levels with virtually no input from the folks in the trenches that have to actually use the snake oil on a daily basis.

Its just the nature of the beast.  We say thanks. We adapt what they give us and make it work.   LOL
MS - MO - AP - MP - FRO - ESO

sUAS MP - sUAS Instructor - sUAS Check Pilot

CAP9907

Their 'portfolio' has a bunch of small, local clients.. not sure if they can handle an enterprise this big.
21 yrs of service

Our Members Code of Conduct can be found here:   http://captalk.net/index.php?topic=13.0

Fester

It always amazes me how many people pass judgement before even TRYING whatever they're judging.

Their portfolio (including the parent company's portfolio) includes almost 50 clients of a wide variety.  And I'm sure they don't have EVERY client included in their portfolio.  Their Press Release section shows that they've been in business since 2000 and first gained CAP as a client in 2003.  Their "About Us" page says they've been in business since 1995. Seems like a decent history to me.
1stLt, CAP
Squadron CC
Group CPO
Eaker - 1996

CAP9907

No judgement being passed here, just my observations based on their published portfolio:

Munn Lumber Co.
Young Professionals of Ames
Iowa Organization of Nurse Leaders
Dutch Oven Bakery
Iowa Pupils Transportation Association
The Greater Des Moines Partnership's YPC
and a few dozen more.

All look like local businesses/organizations. While that is fine, can they support ~ 1000 individual Squadrons? I don't know but I do wonder.
21 yrs of service

Our Members Code of Conduct can be found here:   http://captalk.net/index.php?topic=13.0

Fester

Quote from: CAP9907 on January 25, 2019, 06:59:25 am
No judgement being passed here, just my observations based on their published portfolio:

Munn Lumber Co.
Young Professionals of Ames
Iowa Organization of Nurse Leaders
Dutch Oven Bakery
Iowa Pupils Transportation Association
The Greater Des Moines Partnership's YPC
and a few dozen more.

All look like local businesses/organizations. While that is fine, can they support ~ 1000 individual Squadrons? I don't know but I do wonder.


Understandable.  But as a Web Developer, a well built CMS is easily scalable no matter the size of the organization.  It's all merely database driven.  A well designed database can handle unlimited data.
1stLt, CAP
Squadron CC
Group CPO
Eaker - 1996

OldGuy

Quote from: CAP9907 on January 25, 2019, 05:50:18 am
Their 'portfolio' has a bunch of small, local clients.. not sure if they can handle an enterprise this big.


https://www.captainjack.com/about-us/

etodd

Quote from: Fester on January 25, 2019, 07:31:39 am
But as a Web Developer, a well built CMS is easily scalable no matter the size of the organization.  It's all merely database driven.  A well designed database can handle unlimited data.


Exactly. However, I'd much prefer it had been design with something like Wordpress, and that we would have Admin privileges to our own websites. Using their proprietary system locks us into them. If whatever reason we have to change to different vendor one day, its starting over from scratch at every squadron. Just like it is now. Hopefully the deadline will be a couple years from now. Many of us who dedicated lots of time recently building what we have, may not have time to jump on this soon.  Its very disheartening to realize so much work we've done is going to be trashed and started back from square one. :(

An example, we have our Squadron's Facebook feed embedded on our homepage, so any notices posted on FB immediately show up on the website. I wonder if this new system will have any features like that? I'm hoping so. I would hope that all these squadron developers who have put in the extra efforts will be able to transfer these types of things easily to the new format.

Watching and waiting ....
MS - MO - AP - MP - FRO - ESO

sUAS MP - sUAS Instructor - sUAS Check Pilot

Holding Pattern

Quote from: etodd on January 25, 2019, 03:28:14 pm
Quote from: Fester on January 25, 2019, 07:31:39 am
But as a Web Developer, a well built CMS is easily scalable no matter the size of the organization.  It's all merely database driven.  A well designed database can handle unlimited data.


Exactly. However, I'd much prefer it had been design with something like Wordpress, and that we would have Admin privileges to our own websites. Using their proprietary system locks us into them. If whatever reason we have to change to different vendor one day, its starting over from scratch at every squadron. Just like it is now. Hopefully the deadline will be a couple years from now. Many of us who dedicated lots of time recently building what we have, may not have time to jump on this soon.  Its very disheartening to realize so much work we've done is going to be trashed and started back from square one. :(

An example, we have our Squadron's Facebook feed embedded on our homepage, so any notices posted on FB immediately show up on the website. I wonder if this new system will have any features like that? I'm hoping so. I would hope that all these squadron developers who have put in the extra efforts will be able to transfer these types of things easily to the new format.

Watching and waiting ....


For what it is worth, using this new structure is mandatory. The rule says nothing about not running more than one website.

etodd

Quote from: Holding Pattern on January 25, 2019, 06:25:15 pm

For what it is worth, using this new structure is mandatory. The rule says nothing about not running more than one website.


Yes, we are hoping that continues to be the case. We will of course create the new mandatory website before the deadline with the basic info. Then keep on trucking with all the other websites/social media/etc., as before ....
MS - MO - AP - MP - FRO - ESO

sUAS MP - sUAS Instructor - sUAS Check Pilot

Holding Pattern

Quote from: etodd on January 25, 2019, 07:37:08 pm
Quote from: Holding Pattern on January 25, 2019, 06:25:15 pm

For what it is worth, using this new structure is mandatory. The rule says nothing about not running more than one website.


Yes, we are hoping that continues to be the case. We will of course create the new mandatory website before the deadline with the basic info. Then keep on trucking with all the other websites/social media/etc., as before ....


Indeed. I intend to use the new site because I waited for 3 years on developing a replacement site because they kept telling me we'd have this solution "Soon."

I should have ignored them.

PHall

Quote from: Holding Pattern on January 25, 2019, 07:44:18 pm
Quote from: etodd on January 25, 2019, 07:37:08 pm
Quote from: Holding Pattern on January 25, 2019, 06:25:15 pm

For what it is worth, using this new structure is mandatory. The rule says nothing about not running more than one website.


Yes, we are hoping that continues to be the case. We will of course create the new mandatory website before the deadline with the basic info. Then keep on trucking with all the other websites/social media/etc., as before ....


Indeed. I intend to use the new site because I waited for 3 years on developing a replacement site because they kept telling me we'd have this solution "Soon."

I should have ignored them.


Of course now you guys have said you're going to use their website and your website they'll tell you it's their website or nothing. ::)

When are you guys going to learn to keep this stuff to yourselves?

etodd

Quote from: PHall on January 25, 2019, 10:24:26 pm

When are you guys going to learn to keep this stuff to yourselves?


A rebel be quiet? It doesn't work that way.  >:D
MS - MO - AP - MP - FRO - ESO

sUAS MP - sUAS Instructor - sUAS Check Pilot

arajca

Well, it's two days past when National said information would be available on the Information Technology page. Has anyone seen it? I can't find the IT page on Eservices or Gocivilairpatrol.com.

etodd

Quote from: arajca on February 03, 2019, 06:57:54 pm
Well, it's two days past when National said information would be available on the Information Technology page. Has anyone seen it? I can't find the IT page on Eservices or Gocivilairpatrol.com.


I haven't been looking for it. I'll wait until I hear other squadrons saying how they are using it, then I'll go take a look.

I don't care to be one of the initial "beta testers".  Let others work out the kinks. LOL
MS - MO - AP - MP - FRO - ESO

sUAS MP - sUAS Instructor - sUAS Check Pilot

GZCP31

February 04, 2019, 01:36:20 pm #54 Last Edit: February 04, 2019, 01:42:11 pm by GZCP31
In eServices, Click on Information Technology, then on the right hand side is "CAP Web Sites"
The information is there.

Or use this link :)
https://www.gocivilairpatrol.com/members/cap-national-hq/information-technology/cap-web-sites
Former OK Wing DCL/DCA Mid 90s, Rejoined after 17 years out.
1LT. Communications-Master
Squadron Deputy Commander, Emergency Services Training Officer,  Professional Development Officer,  Administration Officer, Personnel Officer, Communications Officer and Aerospace Education Officer

arajca

Well, I guess I'm not approved - I don't have Information Technology on my Eservices menus and under the National Staff Areas on the public page, it doesn't show up either.

Eclipse

Quote from: GZCP31 on February 04, 2019, 01:36:20 pm
In eServices, Click on Information Technology, then on the right hand side is "CAP Web Sites"
The information is there.

Or use this link :)
https://www.gocivilairpatrol.com/members/cap-national-hq/information-technology/cap-web-sites


Why does a content guideline document have "confidential" in the footer?  And why does NHQ
have a document with "confidential" in the footer posted publicly?
https://www.gocivilairpatrol.com/media/cms/WCAG_Content_Creation_Guidelines_V3_31432604D4533.pdf



etodd

Thanks for the links.  Anyone with experience in developing Wordpress websites (which is free software) and looks at this new system, realizes its WordPress at its core with a simple "front end" attached to it so SiteViz can charge big bucks for something that is in the public domain.  Gotta love entreprenuership. Amusing as heck.  ;D
MS - MO - AP - MP - FRO - ESO

sUAS MP - sUAS Instructor - sUAS Check Pilot

Holding Pattern

Quote from: etodd on February 04, 2019, 05:24:58 pm
Thanks for the links.  Anyone with experience in developing Wordpress websites (which is free software) and looks at this new system, realizes its WordPress at its core with a simple "front end" attached to it so SiteViz can charge big bucks for something that is in the public domain.  Gotta love entreprenuership. Amusing as heck.  ;D


Amusing with the exception that I know our membership money and/or my tax dollars are being wasted on this instead of communicating with the membership at large for methods of doing this first...

etodd

Quote from: Holding Pattern on February 04, 2019, 05:29:03 pm

Amusing with the exception that I know our membership money and/or my tax dollars are being wasted on this instead of communicating with the membership at large for methods of doing this first...


While I agree TOTALLY with the sentiment. I also fully understand these types of things can't be done by popular vote. Someone (or a couple) at the top have to be the decision makers.  And you would hope they would seek out wisdom from good sources, and not be gullible to the snake oil salesmen that walk in the door. Ahem.  LOL
MS - MO - AP - MP - FRO - ESO

sUAS MP - sUAS Instructor - sUAS Check Pilot