Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
February 22, 2019, 04:40:43 AM
Home Help Login Register
News:

CAP Talk  |  Operations  |  Emergency Services & Operations  |  Topic: First Aid Training for Ground Team
Pages: 1 [2]  All Print
Author Topic: First Aid Training for Ground Team  (Read 1295 times)
BraveRifles19D

« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2019, 05:22:59 PM »

Contact one of the local volunteer fire departments that are a training center, explain who you are and that you would to become an instructor and run classes under their training center for your unit. You would need to take the instructor class again. Don't forget about the instructor student ratio, either.

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

sarmed1
Salty & Seasoned Contributor

« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2019, 11:44:48 PM »

Contact one of the local volunteer fire departments that are a training center, explain who you are and that you would to become an instructor and run classes under their training center for your unit. You would need to take the instructor class again. Don't forget about the instructor student ratio, either.

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

Without some kind of intro by a mutually affiliated/known person the likelihood of success of this model is low.  For a multitude of reasons.  First is just the random guy shows up and says this this and this and wants something basically for free.  Secondly, everyone's area is different:  In my current area for example, 99% of the fire departments don't do anything medical except assist EMS, so they have usually minimal medical training as well, let alone be their own training site for any kind of first aid training.  If you find one, you are still likely to have to pay for the classes, instructor certification etc.  I would say top end they may agree to provide the training to the squadron at a limited cost.  Maybe eventually they might come around to allowing someone(s) from the local unit become an instructor once they get to know them. But, that's a big maybe; and likely a relationship cultivated after numerous courses and coordination (aka years)

Using that model, you are basically more likely to find assistance from a BSA troop or crew for their Wilderness First Aid certification from ECSI; but same thing, the likelihood that the local troop/crew is the actual training center vs the local council is also low and they aren't likely to allow you to be an instructor free reign under them.  (more of a mutual exchange of assistance, they provide first aid in exchange CAP helps provides assistance with SAR or aviation merit badge sort of deal)

MK

Mark Kleibscheidel
TSgt USAFR
Pages: 1 [2]  All Print 
CAP Talk  |  Operations  |  Emergency Services & Operations  |  Topic: First Aid Training for Ground Team