Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 16, 2018, 03:12:07 AM
Home Help Login Register
News:

CAP Talk  |  Cadet Programs  |  Cadet Programs Management & Activities  |  Topic: Cadet PAO
Pages: 1 [2]  All Print
Author Topic: Cadet PAO  (Read 1311 times)
TheSkyHornet
Salty & Seasoned Contributor

« Reply #20 on: October 24, 2018, 09:23:20 AM »

You're lucky if 10% read your newsletter...
just as they tend to skim over emails.

But at least 100% (or very close to it) will actually receive it.  And, if you've got a mildly sophisticated system you can track whether or not they are at least opened.

I was Mr. Gung-Ho, "You obviously received the email; why didn't you read it" at one time. I've since deviated away from that philosophy, in the corporate world as well. Things just don't get accomplished that way. I expect staff to read their emails frequently, but as far as chastising them for it, meh.

Emails are good to get information distributed to a large body of people. But no where in that distribution does is force anyone to sit down and read it, even if they opened it on their phone in a classroom before quickly locking the screen as the teacher approaches. Let's be real---that's exactly what happens.

I did it in college (didn't have smartphones in high school). I certainly would be doing it just the same in school.
Color Guard Rifleman
Forum Regular

Unit: GLR-MI-265

Grand Rapids Metro Cadet Squadron
« Reply #21 on: October 24, 2018, 10:24:05 AM »

My question wasn't really answered. Does anyone have a template for a squadron newsletter?

Just read the whole thread, and after all the WONDERFUL advice, you then went back to square one. Had me rolling on the floor. Thanks, I needed that.  ;D

I totally agree with this advice but my XO doesn't. He wants a newsletter. We are already implementing that advice with the social media and other things
C/TSgt Killeen
GLR-MI-265 Cadet Public Affairs NCO                                        

See the source image 
Eclipse
Too Much Free Time Award

« Reply #22 on: October 24, 2018, 10:34:03 AM »

I totally agree with this advice but my XO doesn't. He wants a newsletter. We are already implementing that advice with the social media and other things

What does your Commander and the actual PAO say?

The C/XO isn't really even part of this conversation.

Color Guard Rifleman
Forum Regular

Unit: GLR-MI-265

Grand Rapids Metro Cadet Squadron
« Reply #23 on: October 24, 2018, 11:46:33 AM »

XO is in charge of support staff positions. The actual PAO isn't really at the meetings. I am still waiting for it to go up the COC to the commander
C/TSgt Killeen
GLR-MI-265 Cadet Public Affairs NCO                                        

See the source image 
Spaceman3750
Salty & Seasoned Contributor

« Reply #24 on: October 24, 2018, 11:50:14 AM »

From his perspective, the C/XO is a part of the conversation. Per the cadet staff handbook cadet support officers and NCOs have dotted line responsibility to the C/XO (now called the C/Deputy Commander for Support apparently).

Chain of command and whatnot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The moment any commander or staff member considers themselves a gatekeeper, instead of a facilitator, they have failed at their job.
I can't fix all of CAP's problems, but I can lead from the bottom by building my squadron as a center of excellence to serve as an example of what every unit can be.
Eclipse
Too Much Free Time Award

« Reply #25 on: October 24, 2018, 11:57:04 AM »

XO is in charge of support staff positions. The actual PAO isn't really at the meetings. I am still waiting for it to go up the COC to the commander

The senior-member PAO is directly in charge of these decisions, not the cadets, this is especially important
in that this is presumably something for public consumption.

The dotted lines indicated are primarily for the cadet-level functions of cadet support staff, not the
staff-level functions of the senior members.  (i.e. reporting, non-PAO functions, etc.)

In this case the C/XO C/CD-Support would be directing the actions and plans of a senior member, which is not how things work.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2018, 12:03:15 PM by Eclipse » Logged

Pages: 1 [2]  All Print 
CAP Talk  |  Cadet Programs  |  Cadet Programs Management & Activities  |  Topic: Cadet PAO