What would you like to see done for Civil Air Patrol uniforms?

Started by Hawk200, October 13, 2018, 09:48:58 pm

0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Hawk200

Haven't done one of these in a while, but thought I'd see what the landscape looks like. What kind of changes would you like to see done for Civil Air Patrol uniforms? New badges or patches? Get rid of old ones that don't really reflect our mission anymore? Maybe things authorized for the Air Force, but haven't yet been for CAP or they haven't gotten around to it yet?

It's a wish list type of question, no guarantees that something would change, although if a number of people mention the same thing, it might be worth pushing up the chain, see if Ma Blue would be open to it.

You don't have to post something of your own, probably easier to quote someone's post, and add "+1" if you agree with the idea, and your own doesn't differ appreciably.

I'll give it a week, then consolidate the list. I'll post it as a new thread.

I'm looking for rational, and professional ideas. I think most people know what that would include.

Eclipse




Gunsotsu

Elimination of all USAF style uniforms for seniors. ALL OF THEM.
Adoption of USAF uniform by cadets within two years of USAF change.

Easy.

Stonewall

Allow ALL senior members the option of wearing the USAF style uniforms, ALL OF THEM! All senior members and all AF uniforms.

Too easy!

GaryVC

The only change I would like to see is to be able to wear the blue cloth rank insignia on the flight suit. Otherwise everything else is fine with me.

etodd

Quote from: Gunsotsu on October 13, 2018, 10:18:28 pm
Elimination of all USAF style uniforms for seniors. ALL OF THEM.



Simple polo uniform is all I need.
MS - MO - AP - MP - FRO - ESO

sUAS MP - sUAS Instructor - sUAS Check Pilot

PHall

Quote from: Gunsotsu on October 13, 2018, 10:18:28 pm
Elimination of all USAF style uniforms for seniors. ALL OF THEM.
Adoption of USAF uniform by cadets within two years of USAF change.

Easy.


Reason for your rather radical change?

CAP9907

Quote from: Gunsotsu on October 13, 2018, 10:18:28 pm
Elimination of all USAF style uniforms for seniors. ALL OF THEM.
Adoption of USAF uniform by cadets within two years of USAF change.

Easy.


just heard this being talked about at the NER Conf just now..  have to say i would agree
21 yrs of service

Our Members Code of Conduct can be found here:   http://captalk.net/index.php?topic=13.0

Chappie

As of May I put on a beard -- had one for 20 years prior to joining CAP in 1996 -- and have thoroughly enjoyed wearing the corporate uniforms.   Don't miss wearing the USAF-style at all. 
Disclaimer:  Not to be confused with the other user that goes by "Chappy"   :)

PHall

Quote from: Chappie on October 14, 2018, 01:53:33 am
As of May I put on a beard -- had one for 20 years prior to joining CAP in 1996 -- and have thoroughly enjoyed wearing the corporate uniforms.   Don't miss wearing the USAF-style at all.


What, you're hanging around with Dave and all of a sudden you get the urge for the furry face? >:D

SarDragon

I swear, I had no active influence on that behaviour.  :angel:
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

arajca

Pulled from Cadet Shoulderboards in the Marketplace...

Quote from: MSG Mac on October 14, 2018, 01:39:16 am
If you've been to a Uniform store. $32.80 is reasonable. Military Officers can pay up $40-80 for a pair of boards with embroidered grade. Cadet shoulder boards do cost a lot. I wouldn't be disappointed if CAP changed to cadet hard rank worn on the epaulet.


How about a soft board, keeping the same design, but eliminate the pointy tip and button (make the start of the pointed part the top of the slide)? Slide onto (or velcro around) the service coat epaulet and put full size grade insignia through the blue part. Of course, this would require cadet officers to get the officer style service coat...

PHall


Gunsotsu

Quote from: PHall on October 14, 2018, 12:36:59 am
Reason for your rather radical change?


Because cosplaying as USAF does nothing but alienate those that choose not to or can not wear them. It works for recruiting cadets, but the type of adult that wants to join so they can wear the same duds as Ma Blue aren't the kind of people this organization needs. Furthermore, wearing USAF frocks does nothing to advance the three missions, and in the ES realm, it hinders it.

You say radical. I say with 30 years around this organization, it's long overdue.

Eclipse

Quote from: Gunsotsu on October 14, 2018, 05:06:20 amBecause cosplaying as USAF does nothing but alienate those that choose not to or can not wear them. It works for recruiting cadets, but the type of adult that wants to join so they can wear the same duds as Ma Blue aren't the kind of people this organization needs. Furthermore, wearing USAF frocks does nothing to advance the three missions, and in the ES realm, it hinders it.

You say radical. I say with 30 years around this organization, it's long overdue.


((*SHACK*))



Spam


We set the UOD as polos for our last UCC, the last several TLCs, the last Commanders Call, and even told crews/staff reporting to the ongoing DR mission to wear polos.  Its gone over just fine as far as I can tell. No complaints at mission base yesterday evening from aircrews or staff. No complaints from students at classes.


When you don't put people into a situation where there is an opportunity for an ethics breach, then your chances of having that drama drop off radically. Imagine the dropoff in angry locked threads here, should we have nothing to argue over. Ditching USAF style for adults is defusing an arsenal of "work grenades" that add nothing to our effectiveness. Had only one guy to talk to privately (huge reduction in command workload there  ;D)


Scrag the USAF styles for adults over 18 - concur. Make it a non issue going forward and release us to focus on the missions not the accoutrements.

V/r
Spam


Chappie

Quote from: SarDragon on October 14, 2018, 02:48:31 am
I swear, I had no active influence on that behaviour.  :angel:


I can attest that SarDragon did not have an active influence on the beard's return .... but the same cannot be said of my wife of the past 46 years 😉. It is safe to say that she exerts a bit more influence 🤣
Disclaimer:  Not to be confused with the other user that goes by "Chappy"   :)

Hawk200

Wasn't really looking to create any heated discussion, just wondering what people would like to see done for our uniforms. So far, nothing really concrete.

Looking for the ideas. What would you change? Add? Remove?

CAP is probably always going to have a couple different uniform categories (by which, I mean those meeting weight/grooming standards, and those who don't).

When it comes to uniforms, what are people interested in seeing done? If you've already posted, I know your thoughts, I'll add them to list that I consolidate. Anything else? Hard to believe that there isn't a patch, or a badge, or a uniform, or modifications that people wouldn't want to see.

HandsomeWalt_USMC

I'll bite. I had an idea recently based on a new trinket I was given at work. All of us who have served in the military were given an American flag citation bar (like an enamel ribbon) with our service and veteran on it. For instance, mine has USMC Veteran.
I think some sort of CAP ribbon for members who have served in the military should be available, one that they can wear on corporate uniforms or in lieu of wearing military ribbons on USAF style uniforms. My idea would be for a new ribbon design, not service specific. Call it the CAP Military Service Award or something like that. It would greatly reduce the amount of clutter for many of us (with my CAP and mil ribbons together I have 19 as a 2ndLt) and provide a little something to recognize the service of our members who wear corporate uniforms. Thoughts?
HANDSOME SENDS

Semper Fidelis

"PRIDE IS CONTAGIOUS"

arajca

Quote from: HandsomeWalt_USMC on October 15, 2018, 12:06:11 am
I'll bite. I had an idea recently based on a new trinket I was given at work. All of us who have served in the military were given an American flag citation bar (like an enamel ribbon) with our service and veteran on it. For instance, mine has USMC Veteran.
I think some sort of CAP ribbon for members who have served in the military should be available, one that they can wear on corporate uniforms or in lieu of wearing military ribbons on USAF style uniforms. My idea would be for a new ribbon design, not service specific. Call it the CAP Military Service Award or something like that. It would greatly reduce the amount of clutter for many of us (with my CAP and mil ribbons together I have 19 as a 2ndLt) and provide a little something to recognize the service of our members who wear corporate uniforms. Thoughts?


Designed, written, discussed on CAPTalk, sent up. Went into some unknown blackhole.

See discussion starting here: http://captalk.net/index.php?topic=7421.60