Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 17, 2018, 07:58:53 AM
Home Help Login Register
News:

CAP Talk  |  General Discussion  |  Membership  |  Topic: CAP and Why We are Civilian
Pages: 1 [2]  All Print
Author Topic: CAP and Why We are Civilian  (Read 1486 times)
MSG Mac
Salty & Seasoned Contributor

Unit: MER-MD-071

« Reply #20 on: July 02, 2018, 03:31:57 PM »

Posse Comitatus Act. The Posse Comitatus Act is the United States federal law that was passed on June 18, 1878, after the end of Reconstruction and was updated in 1981. Its intent was to limit the powers of Federal government in using federal military personnel to enforce the State laws.

As has been pointed out there have been exceptions to the law, including the Little Rock school desegregation. the Governor refused to have the Police or NG to assist so President Eisenhower sent a unit of the 101st
Airborne.
But there are numerous examples of federal troops being deployed to assist during National Disasters. Including Hurricane Katrina/Rita, Mississippi  river flooding, earthquakes, etc.
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
Mitchell 1969
Salty & Seasoned Contributor

Unit: PCR-CA-051

« Reply #21 on: July 03, 2018, 01:12:05 AM »

Isn't simply wearing a uniform that closely resembles the AF enough for some folks? Do they really dream of being "deployed" so they can see some "action"?  Why can't everyone simply understand that, uniforms or not, we are simply a group of civilian volunteers?

Has it always been this way, or has the recent advertising campaigns of "Total Force" just confused some? Maybe the top brass at the AF should weigh in and remind us of our civilian status.

(Yes, I thought I would be the first to bring up uniforms as a way to sidetrack the thread. ;) )

I don’t know about “always,” but I remember when an earthquake struck Managua, Nicaragua in 1972.

What followed was known in some circles as “The Managua Disaster Disaster.”

Latrine-o-grams were circulating like crazy regarding CAP. Such as CAP being “mobilized” for assignments in Nicaragua to unload C-130s full of supplies.

Even better - rumors that CAP members were being mobilized to receive “emergency field training” as “assistant loadmasters” and CAP multi-engine rated pilots being mobilized to serve as “crew relief co-pilots.”

All of this was supposedly due to military resources being stretched thin in Vietnam.

Just as one ludicrous rumor would be put to bed, another would arise.

Good times.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mitchell 1969; Earhart 1971; Eaker 1973. Cadet Flying Encampment, License, 1970. IACE New Zealand 1971; IACE Korea 1973.

CAP has been bery, bery good to me.
Pages: 1 [2]  All Print 
CAP Talk  |  General Discussion  |  Membership  |  Topic: CAP and Why We are Civilian