Main Menu

GTM 3

Started by Michael, June 20, 2007, 06:48:29 PM

Michael

A few questions on getting GTM 3:

Does this rating require Both parts of CISM Online testing, or just one?

Also, are there any New York Wing SAREX's this year?
Bill Coons, C/Capt

IceNine

Not real sure what CISM training you are talking about.  But if you are talking about the CAPT 117 tests for

GT you must have part 1

Aircrew is Part 2

and Base Staff is part 3

"All of the true things that I am about to tell you are shameless lies"

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

Pylon

Quote from: li'lUSCGAviator on June 20, 2007, 06:48:29 PM

NYWG runs a SAREX almost every month.  See the Wing Calendar for dates and information. 

Since you're also in Central New York Group, check their calendar periodically for other ES related training exercises and opportunities.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

davedove

Quote from: li'lUSCGAviator on June 20, 2007, 06:48:29 PM
A few questions on getting GTM 3:

Does this rating require Both parts of CISM Online testing, or just one?

Quote from: J.Hendricks on June 20, 2007, 07:30:44 PM
Not real sure what CISM training you are talking about.  But if you are talking about the CAPT 117 tests for

GT you must have part 1

Aircrew is Part 2

and Base Staff is part 3

I'm not sure what tests you mean either.

You have to take both parts of the 116.  You take the section of the 117 as stated above (part 1 for ground team).  I would recommend you go ahead and take all parts of the 117.  They're not hard and you will have them out of the way if you decide to pursue the other specialties.
David W. Dove, Maj, CAP
Deputy Commander for Seniors
Personnel/PD/Asst. Testing Officer
Ground Team Leader
Frederick Composite Squadron
MER-MD-003

RogueLeader

If you mean "Critical Incident Stress Management" Training, no it is not required for GTM3.  However, if you go on a Mission that has a traumatic incident, ie. a dead body, or severely injured; you will go through a CISM debrief before you leave, then a follow up a week or so after.  This happened when I was on a mission in April.  A college student was found in lake.  No CAP members found him, but as we were on scene, we went through it.  It does work.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

floridacyclist

Pt 1 of the CAPT 117 is CISM orientation...at least it was when I took it.
Gene Floyd, Capt CAP
Wearer of many hats, master of none (but senior-rated in two)
www.tallahasseecap.org
www.rideforfatherhood.org

IceNine

Quote from: floridacyclist on June 21, 2007, 05:56:32 PM
Pt 1 of the CAPT 117 is CISM orientation...at least it was when I took it.

Let's not be misleading CAPT 117 Part 1 is an introduction to explain that CISM is available and the things CISM can provide to members in the field.

It is NOT CISM Training, which as the name implies is helping members deal with the aftermath of a stressful situation.

The big difference I want to point out is don't think that you are CISM qualified or in training to be CISM if just because to took a 10 question test over the benefits and abilities of the CISM Teams

On a Sidenote however it is a VERY good idea to bring in your local CISM team and train with them regularly so that members get used to putting everything out on the table so that they can deal should the need arise

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

floridacyclist

I never said it was CISM training, it is CISM orientation...simply letting you know what it is and that it is available and that there is nothing wrong with seeking help from them.

We do practice debriefs at SARExs so that the folks will become used to the idea and not think something is wrong should it happen for real....and gives the debriefers a chance to practice too.

Real CISM Peer Debriefer training is a 2-day course taught by an ICISF (International Critical Incident Stress Foundation) instructor. BTDT.
Gene Floyd, Capt CAP
Wearer of many hats, master of none (but senior-rated in two)
www.tallahasseecap.org
www.rideforfatherhood.org

SARMedTech

In EMS, we have two types of CISM, both called CISDs.

1. Critical Incident Stress Debriefing-  24-72 hours after the event and including all involved in the incident, from dispatch to IC. Attended by a professional mental health counselor

2. Critical Incident Stress Defusing- 1-4 hours after the event and only attended by those most closely involved with the incident. No professional counselor is involved.

Having attended both, I personally prefer the defusing. For the way I work, it gets more done for me. I like to just talk to the people that were in the "inner circle" and it allows a little more for the use of humor (some of it dark) and other things that people might not feel free to say or do during a debriefing. Sometimes all the critical team needs is to not even talk about the event, but just sit around for a couple of hours and talk to each other, exchange words of comfort and mutual understanding, etc. I have found that not only does the defusing help cope with the event, it can also actually serve to bring a team closer together.
"Corpsman Up!"

"...The distinct possibility of dying slow, cold and alone...but you also get the chance to save lives, and there is no greater calling in the world than that."

JohnKachenmeister

After a fatal crash at an airshow my Group was working, we had a defusing session with the cadets and officers who were present.  We then carried on with the air show support mission for two more days.  We offered professional CISM counseling afterward, but everyone declined it.

We had a chaplain stop by on the next two days for informal 1:1 chats, but nobody mentioned the crash. 
Another former CAP officer

IceNine

I don't disagree that diffusing sessions work for things like crashes and such.  But when you see mangled bodies (or the remnants of them), or a large scale incident where tons of people are critically or fatally injured, it is a totally different ball game. 

There are definite necessities for both types of CISM, it is a delicate balance when they are used and it typically yields the best results when folks of similar background are in the debriefing together.  So the best results are going to come from running a session with all of the EMT's in one room, the 13 year old cadets in another, and the "civilian" members in another.  Again that stems from being an EMT and the black humor that gets us through.  And having been a cadet.

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

Michael

Thanks for the numerous responses.  I got the rating.

My main reason for asking was because I was on a training bivouac, and a dispute rose up about how many 117 tests had to be done.

Bill Coons, C/Capt

Pylon

Quote from: MikeTA on January 14, 2008, 11:25:28 PM

My main reason for asking was because I was on a training bivouac, and a dispute rose up about how many 117 tests had to be done.

Congratulations!

We've got a handful of Cadets up at the 408th with GT badges, too... you'll all have to get together at an upcoming SAREX to practice.   Now we just need a few more GTLs in CNYG...   ;)
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

SAR-EMT1

Quote from: Pylon on January 15, 2008, 02:27:43 PM
Quote from: MikeTA on January 14, 2008, 11:25:28 PM

Congratulations!

GTLs in CNYG...   ;)

SING?
C. A. Edgar
AUX USCG Flotilla 8-8
Former CC / GLR-IL-328
Firefighter, Paramedic, Grad Student

dwb

I never thought to pronounce the abbreviation for Central New York Group like that.

Just call us the glee club. :)

Michael

Sorry to disappoint you sir, but I'll hopefully have finished Swab Summer at the CG Academy by the time I turn 18.
Bill Coons, C/Capt

SARMedTech

Quote from: IceNine on June 25, 2007, 01:46:53 AM
I don't disagree that diffusing sessions work for things like crashes and such.  But when you see mangled bodies (or the remnants of them), or a large scale incident where tons of people are critically or fatally injured, it is a totally different ball game. 

There are definite necessities for both types of CISM, it is a delicate balance when they are used and it typically yields the best results when folks of similar background are in the debriefing together.  So the best results are going to come from running a session with all of the EMT's in one room, the 13 year old cadets in another, and the "civilian" members in another.  Again that stems from being an EMT and the black humor that gets us through.  And having been a cadet.

Im actually going to be going through fire service chaplain's training which involves CISM. (I think I will be one of the few Buddhist fire chappies around...at least in my area  ;)). I'm looking forward to it. We recently had a firefighter from another department take his own life and though he was not "one of ours" departmentally speaking, it shook our crew up pretty good. The flags at half staff and the black badge bands get a lot of introspection going on in people's heads.
"Corpsman Up!"

"...The distinct possibility of dying slow, cold and alone...but you also get the chance to save lives, and there is no greater calling in the world than that."