BDU/ABU: Single patch, which pocket?

Started by Damron, July 28, 2016, 04:10:55 PM

Damron

I would like to wear a single patch on a breast pocket.  The manual and updates don't describe priority, left or right.  The 39-1 graphic shows a single patch worn on the right pocket but I didn't see any supporting text other than matrix that shows L/RP.  Did I miss something? 

Hawk200

Probably going to need a little more info here.

Which patch are you looking to wear?

LTC Don

Unit patch goes on the right breast pocket.  That leaves the left breast pocket for an authorized optional patch of your choice.  What's allowed on the BDU vs the ABU is not the same.  Review CAPM 39-1 and the documentation governing the new ABU.
Donald A. Beckett, Lt Col, CAP
Commander
MER-NC-143
Gill Rob Wilson #1891

Damron

Our unit patch is currently being redesigned.  I'm referring to a special activity patch (NESA).   Without a unit patch, would there be any priority between left and right?

Abby.L

To answer: No, there is no priority for either pocket, though I've personally noticed that the general populace usually puts spare(Spare, as in non squadron patch. So, NCSA in this case) patches on the left-side breast pocket, even if they don't have anything on the right-side breast pocket. There's no real rhyme or reason to it.  :D

The only exception to that would be if 39-1 specifies a packet for a certain patch, as it does for the model rocketry patch.
Capt Abby R. Lockling
SSgt(Sep) USAF, 41ECS
Charlie flight, NBB 2013

Damron

Quote from: Levi Lockling on July 28, 2016, 06:54:24 PM
To answer: No, there is no priority for either pocket, though I've personally noticed that the general populace usually puts spare patches on the left-side breast pocket, even if they don't have anything on the right-side breast pocket. There's no real rhyme or reason to it.  :D
Thanks.  That was my observation. 

PHall

Unit patches are not currently authorized for wear on the ABU.
Per the latest ABU Wear Instructions dated 7 Jul 16.

kwe1009

Quote from: PHall on July 29, 2016, 01:16:07 AM
Unit patches are not currently authorized for wear on the ABU.
Per the latest ABU Wear Instructions dated 7 Jul 16.

That is correct but according to another thread, this was an oversight and is going to be corrected to allow squadron patches.  Until that happens they are not authorized so I would just leave the right pocket empty and put your NCSA patch on the left.

CS

Attachment 8 in CAPM39-1 allows unit patches on the RP of the BDU and the ABU.  Unit patches are called organizational patch, so no oversight.

LSThiker

It is interesting to note that there may have been some changes that got missed? (unless this has already been posted and I missed it, but I did not see any discussion on it):

This is the original link published by Eclipse on 13 July 2016:
http://www.capmembers.com/media/cms/UPDATED_ABU_wear_instruction_7_Jul__EEB893035EB1E.pdf

This is the link on the CAP website:
http://www.capmembers.com/media/cms/UPDATED_ABU_wear_instruction_20_Jul_FD42C441B50D3.pdf

This is the original announcement from May:
http://www.capmembers.com/media/cms/CAP_Transition_to_ABUs_06DC64FB17483.pdf

Specifically:

From the first link:
QuoteRight  Breast  Pocket.   
One  full  color  patch authorized in Attachment 8-1  through  8-3,  with  the exception  of  the  Emergency  Services  patches and  Ranger  tabs,  may  be sewn to  the  shirt  centered  on  the  lower  portion of the right breast pocket between left and right edges and bottom of flap and pocket of ABU shirt.

From the second link:
QuoteRight  Breast Pocket.   One  full  color  patch authorized in Attachment 8-1  through  8-3,  with  the exception  of  the  Emergency  Services  patches and  Ranger  tabs, the  Model  Rocketry  Patch,  or  Unit/Organizational Patch may be sewn to the shirt centered on the lower portion of the right breast pocket between left and right edges and bottom of flap and pocket of ABU shirt.  The National Staff Badge shown in attachment A6-1 is also authorized to be worn in this position.

From the first link:
QuoteLeft  Breast Pocket.   One  full  color  patch authorized in Attachment 8-1  through  8-3,  with  the exception  of  the  Emergency  Services  patches and  Ranger  tabs,  may  be sewn to  the  shirt  centered  on  the  lower portion of the left breast pocket between left and right edges and bottom of flap and pocket of ABU shirt.

From the second link:
QuoteLeft  Breast Pocket.   One  full  color  patch authorized in Attachment 8-1  through  8-4,  with  the exception of the Emergency Services patches, Honor Guard Shield (attachment 8-4) and Ranger tabs, may be sewn to the  shirt centered on the  lower portion of the left breast pocket  between left and right edges and bottom of  flap  and  pocket  of  ABU  shirt.  One  Service  Badge  shown  in  Attachment  A6-1,  may  be  worn  in  this  position  with  the exception of the National Staff Badge which is worn on the right pocket.

Did the USAF specifically say no to unit patches, ES patch, ranger tabs, and the like since it now seems they have explicitly stated those?

Hmmm, I am thinking I read the comma wrong on the unit patch and MR patch. 

Damron

Quote from: CS on July 29, 2016, 01:37:46 PM
Attachment 8 in CAPM39-1 allows unit patches on the RP of the BDU and the ABU.  Unit patches are called organizational patch, so no oversight.
You can't apply anything in 39-1 to ABU wear.  Organizational (unit patches) are not in 8-1 to 8-3.   

That said, in response to my questions, NHQ advised me by email that unit patches  and the Rocketry patch were omitted by mistake and will be authorized in a future update or 39-1. 

Eclipse

Quote from: Damron on July 29, 2016, 02:28:31 PM
Quote from: CS on July 29, 2016, 01:37:46 PM
You can't apply anything in 39-1 to ABU wear.  Organizational (unit patches) are not in 8-1 to 8-3.   

That said, in response to my questions, NHQ advised me by email that unit patches  and the Rocketry patch were omitted by mistake and will be authorized in a future update or 39-1.

Due, based on historical timelines, in 2024.

"That Others May Zoom"

CS

Not sure where nothing in CAPR39-1 is ABU when the wear instructions specifically say they are.

From ABU wear instructions:

Right breast Pocket. One full color patch authorized in Attachment 8-1 through 8-3 (that's in CAPM 3901 by the way my comment), with exception of Emergency Services patches and Ranger tabs, may be sewn to the shirt centered on the lower portion of the right breast pocket between left and right edges and bottom of flap and pocket of the ABU shirt.

THRAWN

Quote from: CS on July 29, 2016, 03:26:54 PM
Not sure where nothing in CAPR39-1 is ABU when the wear instructions specifically say they are.

Right breast Pocket. One full color patch authorized in Attachment 8-1 through 8-3 (that's in CAPM 3901 by the way my comment), with exception of Emergency Services patches and Ranger tabs, may be sewn to the shirt centered on the lower portion of the right breast pocket between left and right edges and bottom of flap and pocket of the ABU shirt.

Nothing in those attachments regarding anything other than what is specifically listed.
Strup-"Belligerent....at times...."
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

LSThiker

Quote from: THRAWN on July 29, 2016, 03:37:58 PM
Quote from: CS on July 29, 2016, 03:26:54 PM

Nothing in those attachments regarding anything other than what is specifically listed.

As I posted above, the right breast pocket section has changed:

QuoteRight  Breast Pocket.   One  full  color  patch authorized in Attachment 8-1  through  8-3,  with  the exception  of  the  Emergency  Services  patches and  Ranger  tabs, the  Model  Rocketry  Patch,  or  Unit/Organizational Patch may be sewn to the shirt centered on the lower portion of the right breast pocket between left and right edges and bottom of flap and pocket of ABU shirt.  The National Staff Badge shown in attachment A6-1 is also authorized to be worn in this position.

Luis R. Ramos

Not sure where nothing in CAPR39-1 CAPM39-1 (FTFU) is ABU when the wear instructions specifically say they are.

Nothing in CAPM 39-1 says it is for the ABU. The only publications mentioning the ABU are the releases from NHQ. The wording on these prohibit using the unit patch and the Model Rocketry Patch.

....the exception of the...Model Rocketry  Patch, or Unit/Organizational Patch...may be sewn...

Until NHQ modifies their instruction covering the ABU wear instruction, they cannot be worn.
Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

Eclipse

There is also no "attachment 8-1 to 8-3" in the referenced document, and it doesn't say "see 39-1 8-1 to 8-3", so it
references a non-existent attachment.

And if if you decide that's the 39-1 attachment, nothing in those references unit insignia.

"That Others May Zoom"

Damron

Quote from: Eclipse on July 29, 2016, 04:04:35 PM
There is also no "attachment 8-1 to 8-3" in the referenced document, and it doesn't say "see 39-1 8-1 to 8-3", so it

And if if you decide that's the 39-1 attachment, nothing in those references unit insignia.

Let's be reasonable.  A number of folks have attempted to apply 39-1 BDU standards to the ABU.  That's obviously wrong. 

Obviously, the latest update refers to 39-1 by referencing 8-1 to 8-3 and will be shoehorned into 39-1.  My interpretations have been confirmed by NHQ and I was the first person to ask them about unit and rocketry patches, both omitted by mistake. 

kwe1009

Quote from: Damron on July 29, 2016, 04:33:38 PM
Quote from: Eclipse on July 29, 2016, 04:04:35 PM

Let's be reasonable.  A number of folks have attempted to apply 39-1 BDU standards to the ABU.  That's obviously wrong. 

Obviously, the latest update refers to 39-1 by referencing 8-1 to 8-3 and will be shoehorned into 39-1.  My interpretations have been confirmed by NHQ and I was the first person to ask them about unit and rocketry patches, both omitted by mistake.

I don't doubt that NHQ told you that those patches were omitted by mistake but until that information is published to everyone, they are not authorized per the NHQ written guidance on ABU wear.  It is a little silly I agree.

Shuman 14

QuoteRight breast Pocket. One full color patch authorized in Attachment 8-1 through 8-3 (that's in CAPM 3901 by the way my comment), with exception of Emergency Services patches and Ranger tabs, may be sewn to the shirt centered on the lower portion of the right breast pocket between left and right edges and bottom of flap and pocket of the ABU shirt.

Ok, but the Ranger Tab is not worn on the Right Breast Pocket, it's worn on the left arm. I'm so confused.  :o
Joseph J. Clune
Lieutenant Colonel, Military Police

USMCR: 1990 - 1992                           USAR: 1993 - 1998, 2000 - 2003, 2005 - Present     CAP: 2013 - 2014, 2021 - Present
INARNG: 1992 - 1993, 1998 - 2000      Active Army: 2003 - 2005                                       USCGAux: 2004 - Present