ABU: Squadron patches and rocketry patch.

Started by Damron, July 24, 2016, 09:13:46 PM

Meridius

As per National Uniform Committee presentation at the National Convention here in Nashville, Ranger Tabs ARE NOT authorized on the ABU.

Sapper168

So Everyone keeps talking about 'Ranger Tab'.  Half are talking about the CAP Ranger Tab, previously called the CAP Ranger Tape, name changed with current uniform manual, which is earned in the CAP Ranger program and the US Army Ranger Tab which is earned in the Army.    Please people use the correct name to eliminate confusion.
Shane E Guernsey, TSgt, CAP
CAP Squadron ESO... "Who did what now?"
CAP Squadron NCO Advisor... "Where is the coffee located?"
US Army 12B... "Sappers Lead the Way!"
US Army Reserve 71L-f5... "Going Postal!"

Eclipse

Decisions, decisions...

Is this

Hedgehog's dilemma. Hobson's Choice, Morton's Fork or Traveler's Dilemma?

It's certainly a textbook case of "be careful what you ask for..."

"That Others May Zoom"

LATORRECA

Wow some people complicate thing in this forum. Damron, I'm with you keep up with the good flow of information, since others don't take their time to contact HHQ to help clarified this non sense dilemma.

By the way no need of a Tab or tape. Just make sure you know your stuff when the time comes. Keep the uniform clean.   >:D >:D :-X :-X :-X

Meridius

Quote from: Ground_Pounder on August 12, 2016, 09:13:58 PM
So Everyone keeps talking about 'Ranger Tab'.  Half are talking about the CAP Ranger Tab, previously called the CAP Ranger Tape, name changed with current uniform manual, which is earned in the CAP Ranger program and the US Army Ranger Tab which is earned in the Army.    Please people use the correct name to eliminate confusion.

Both are unauthorized on the ABU unless you are adsigned to the 75th Ranger Regiment.  HMRS was the one I was referring too. 

Jester

Quote from: Meridius on August 12, 2016, 09:52:21 PM

Both are unauthorized on the ABU unless you are adsigned to the 75th Ranger Regiment.  HMRS was the one I was referring too.

Both of what?  And US Army Ranger tabs are authorized on ABUs. Have been for the last few years.

PHall

Quote from: Jester on August 12, 2016, 10:49:48 PM

Both of what?  And US Army Ranger tabs are authorized on ABUs. Have been for the last few years.

They're authorized on Air Force ABU's.

Jester

Quote from: PHall on August 12, 2016, 10:57:59 PM
Quote from: Jester on August 12, 2016, 10:49:48 PM

They're authorized on Air Force ABU's.

Per 39-1:

"10.8. Additional Badge Information
10.8.1. US Military badges may be worn on USAF-style uniforms in accordance with authorizations and instructions found in AFI 36-2903 when appropriate orders granted by competent military authority are present in the member's CAP personnel record."

This is literally the simplest thing on the planet. If 36-2903 says it's ok, which it does, then 39-1 carries that through for AF-style uniforms. I'm not understanding any other interpretations.

Nick

Quote from: Jester on August 13, 2016, 12:54:44 AM
Per 39-1:

10.8.1. US Military badges may be worn on USAF-style uniforms in accordance with authorizations and instructions found in AFI 36-2903 when appropriate orders granted by competent military authority are present in the member's CAP personnel record."

This is literally the simplest thing on the planet. If 36-2903 says it's ok, which it does, then 39-1 carries that through for AF-style uniforms. I'm not understanding any other interpretations.

Unfortunately it's never that easy; there's always a different way to interpret something. :)

The authorization in 39-1 is for "US military badges".  The Ranger Tab worn on the utility uniform is not a badge, it's a tab (or patch).  Badges are those things that go above or on pockets, not sleeves.
Nicholas McLarty, Lt Col, CAP
Texas Wing Staff Guy
National Cadet Team Guy Emeritus

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

Jester

Quote from: McLarty on August 13, 2016, 01:06:15 AM
Per 39-1:

Unfortunately it's never that easy; there's always a different way to interpret something. :)

The authorization in 39-1 is for "US military badges".  The Ranger Tab worn on the utility uniform is not a badge, it's a tab (or patch).  Badges are those things that go above or on pockets, not sleeves.

Attachment 5 of 36-2903 specifically lists the Ranger tab as a qualification badge.

What I'm seeing is people either not up to date or applying different service terminology to AF policy. Again, this has been broken down Barney-style. Don't make it more complicated.

Eclipse

Where does it go on the field uniform if the wing requires the wing patch?

"That Others May Zoom"

abdsp51

Quote from: Jester on August 13, 2016, 01:19:34 AM

Quote from: McLarty on August 13, 2016, 01:06:15 AM
Per 39-1:

Attachment 5 of 36-2903 specifically lists the Ranger tab as a qualification badge.

What I'm seeing is people either not up to date or applying different service terminology to AF policy. Again, this has been broken down Barney-style. Don't make it more complicated.

The verbiage calls it a tab and considers it a patch you are incorrect.

Jester

Disagree. Attachment 5 has a non-inclusive list of what it considers qualification badges. Some are tabs, some are badges, etc. which can be considered different styles of the same object. Metal tabs are available for wear on service uniforms in the same manner as traditional badges.

They're all under the same umbrella. The AF doesn't really care to get worked up about the 8 zillion different flavors of flair.

The Raven tab wear instructions mention wear of sister service tabs, tabs are frequently shown on official AF news stories, they're authorized by the AF and therefore CAP. Period point blank.

LSThiker

While it may be the normal of CAPTalk to argue about rather insignificant aspects, is it really that important whether or not the Army Ranger tab can be worn on CAP ABUs?  Or would this time better be served discussing CAP specific issues regarding the CAP ABUs?  If and/or when someone specifically asks about wearing his or now her tab on CAP ABUs, then we can discuss this topic and argue the semantics of it.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Shuman 14

QuoteThe Ranger Tab worn on the utility uniform is not a badge, it's a tab (or patch).  Badges are those things that go above or on pockets, not sleeves.

It's actually both. Since the Army transitioned to the ASU and the Service Greens were eliminated, the Tabs (i.e. Ranger, Special Forces, Sapper, President's Hundred and Governor's Twenty [National Guard only]) are worn subdued, as a shoulder tab, on the ACU but is worn as a full color enamel and metal badge on the ASU which is pinned on the left side normally below the ribbons on the pocket flap.

Joseph J. Clune
Lieutenant Colonel, Military Police

USMCR: 1990 - 1992                           USAR: 1993 - 1998, 2000 - 2003, 2005 - Present     CAP: 2013 - 2014, 2021 - Present
INARNG: 1992 - 1993, 1998 - 2000      Active Army: 2003 - 2005                                       USCGAux: 2004 - Present

Eclipse

Quote from: Jester on August 13, 2016, 02:08:59 AM
Disagree. Attachment 5 has a non-inclusive list of what it considers qualification badges. Some are tabs, some are badges, etc. which can be considered different styles of the same object. Metal tabs are available for wear on service uniforms in the same manner as traditional badges.

They're all under the same umbrella. The AF doesn't really care to get worked up about the 8 zillion different flavors of flair.

The Raven tab wear instructions mention wear of sister service tabs, tabs are frequently shown on official AF news stories, they're authorized by the AF and therefore CAP. Period point blank.

Quote from: Eclipse on August 13, 2016, 01:42:03 AM

"That Others May Zoom"

stillamarine

Instead of repeating the EXACT same argument we had a couple weeks ago why doesn't someone send the question to NHQ and get guidance? Worse than K5 in here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tim Gardiner, 1st LT, CAP

USMC AD 1996-2001
USMCR    2001-2005  Admiral, Great State of Nebraska Navy  MS, MO, UDF
tim.gardiner@gmail.com

Jester

My assumption is that the tab would be a half-inch below the shoulder seam with the wing patch grounded and centered below the tab.

Eclipse

Quote from: Jester on August 13, 2016, 02:42:48 AM

My assumption is that the tab would be a half-inch below the shoulder seam with the wing patch grounded and centered below the tab.

Cite please.  There is no allowance for either the tab by itself or to have two patches in that place.

"That Others May Zoom"