Main Menu

New Guy Uniforms

Started by BC3660, July 16, 2016, 07:04:24 PM

stillamarine

Quote from: audiododd on July 21, 2016, 04:18:40 AM
Quote from: stillamarine on July 20, 2016, 05:03:52 PM
Seeing as it's a weapons proficiency award, and SMs can not wear weapons quals awards I think the answer from CAPNHQ is gonna be no. Plus officers can't wear the award anyways.

Stillamarine,

Where does it say we can't wear weapons quals?  I read it as we can wear any badge earned through qualification IAW AFI36-2903 as long as it's not in a position where a CAP badge needs to go.  The Schuetzenschnur is another question altogether, since it's a foreign award.  I WISH I had the opportunity to qual with the Germans.  Several friends got to, but there was always some reason I wasn't able to :-(

Nowhere do I see in AFI 36-2903 where you can wear a weapons qualification badge besides the ones that are mentioned. The AF does not wear regular weapons qual devices like the other services. They have a ribbon. We as Senior Members do not do weapons quals so I don't see where we would be able to wear any.
Tim Gardiner, 1st LT, CAP

USMC AD 1996-2001
USMCR    2001-2005  Admiral, Great State of Nebraska Navy  MS, MO, UDF
tim.gardiner@gmail.com

Jester

Quote from: stillamarine on July 21, 2016, 07:44:25 PM
Seeing as it's a weapons proficiency award, and SMs can not wear weapons quals awards I think the answer from CAPNHQ is gonna be no. Plus officers can't wear the award anyways.

Stillamarine,

Where does it say we can't wear weapons quals?  I read it as we can wear any badge earned through qualification IAW AFI36-2903 as long as it's not in a position where a CAP badge needs to go.  The Schuetzenschnur is another question altogether, since it's a foreign award.  I WISH I had the opportunity to qual with the Germans.  Several friends got to, but there was always some reason I wasn't able to :-(

Nowhere do I see in AFI 36-2903 where you can wear a weapons qualification badge besides the ones that are mentioned. The AF does not wear regular weapons qual devices like the other services. They have a ribbon. We as Senior Members do not do weapons quals so I don't see where we would be able to wear any.

I wear my AF small arms expert ribbon. I didn't see any exceptions made for them in 39-1, just that earned federal awards and decorations could be worn (ribbons, not badges).  Am I wrong?

kwe1009

Quote from: Jester on July 21, 2016, 08:11:07 PM

Quote from: stillamarine on July 21, 2016, 07:44:25 PM

Stillamarine,

I wear my AF small arms expert ribbon. I didn't see any exceptions made for them in 39-1, just that earned federal awards and decorations could be worn (ribbons, not badges).  Am I wrong?

Any award that you earned that is listed in AFI 36-2903 and not specifically prohibited by 39-1 can be worn on the Air Force style uniforms.

DakRadz

Jester- if you are trying to equate to the badges, let me know and I'll pull those quotes lol

If you are asking because it is a weapons qual, then you are fine because it is a federal ribbon award. The others have been discussing badges. stillamarine actually specified that the AF has a ribbon and not a badge- a ribbon that's allowed.

See kwe's post- and to add to that, 39-1 specifies for foreign awards- aviation, medical, and parachutist badges.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

Shuman 14

So if a prior service USAF member of CAP has any of these awards could they be worn on the USAF style uniform?
Joseph J. Clune
Lieutenant Colonel, Military Police

USMCR: 1990 - 1992                           USAR: 1993 - 1998, 2000 - 2003, 2005 - Present     CAP: 2013 - 2014, 2021 - Present
INARNG: 1992 - 1993, 1998 - 2000      Active Army: 2003 - 2005                                       USCGAux: 2004 - Present

stillamarine

Quote from: shuman14 on July 21, 2016, 09:33:32 PM

So if a prior service USAF member of CAP has any of these awards could they be worn on the USAF style uniform?

I would think yes because they are AF awards. But I'm not sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tim Gardiner, 1st LT, CAP

USMC AD 1996-2001
USMCR    2001-2005  Admiral, Great State of Nebraska Navy  MS, MO, UDF
tim.gardiner@gmail.com

kwe1009

I would have to say that it is not authorized since it is not listed in AFI 36-2903.  AFI 34-143 gives the criteria for earning those awards but there is nothing about wearing it on an Air Force uniform.

abdsp51

Quote from: kwe1009 on July 22, 2016, 02:02:03 AM

I would have to say that it is not authorized since it is not listed in AFI 36-2903.  AFI 34-143 gives the criteria for earning those awards but there is nothing about wearing it on an Air Force uniform.

AFI36-2903 Para 4.1.2.3.2. Duty, Missile, and Excellence-in-Competition Badges. With the exception
of the missile operations badge, wear of these badges is optional. If worn, duty
badges will be miniature in size (except when only one size badge is available). The
first duty badge will be centered on the wearer's left ½ inch below the bottom row of
medals. The second badge will be worn on the wearer's right in the same relative
position as the badge worn on the wearer's left. The missile or excellence -incompetition
badges are worn on the wearer's left, ½ inch below the bottom row of
medals.
Move any duty badge(s) to the wearer's right side, in the same relative
position as the badge worn on the wearer's left. The Presidential and/or Vice
Presidential Service Badge, will always be worn on the wearer's right side. Note: See
paragraph 10.3 for additional information

Luis R. Ramos

Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

Shuman 14

Was there ever a doubt?  ;D  :P
Joseph J. Clune
Lieutenant Colonel, Military Police

USMCR: 1990 - 1992                           USAR: 1993 - 1998, 2000 - 2003, 2005 - Present     CAP: 2013 - 2014, 2021 - Present
INARNG: 1992 - 1993, 1998 - 2000      Active Army: 2003 - 2005                                       USCGAux: 2004 - Present

kwe1009

Quote from: abdsp51 on July 22, 2016, 02:45:32 AM
Quote from: kwe1009 on July 22, 2016, 02:02:03 AM

AFI36-2903 Para 4.1.2.3.2. Duty, Missile, and Excellence-in-Competition Badges. With the exception
of the missile operations badge, wear of these badges is optional. If worn, duty
badges will be miniature in size (except when only one size badge is available). The
first duty badge will be centered on the wearer's left ½ inch below the bottom row of
medals. The second badge will be worn on the wearer's right in the same relative
position as the badge worn on the wearer's left. The missile or excellence -in competition
badges are worn on the wearer's left, ½ inch below the bottom row of
medals.
Move any duty badge(s) to the wearer's right side, in the same relative
position as the badge worn on the wearer's left. The Presidential and/or Vice
Presidential Service Badge, will always be worn on the wearer's right side. Note: See
paragraph 10.3 for additional information

My bad.  I did a search for "marksman" and "shooter" and both were negative.  Thanks for the correction.  This makes more sense now.