Main Menu

New Guy Uniforms

Started by BC3660, July 16, 2016, 07:04:24 PM

BC3660

Hi, I'm a new guy just joining the CAP. I have prior service in the Army Guard as a 15T. I still have my flight suit from 2004 (green). Is this the correct version for CAP?
I also have 5 Tan Flight Suits, Can I wear them?
Combat Patch, am I allowed to wear this in my CAP uniform?
On the Officers Uniform are you allowed to wear the Schützenschnur if you earned it as an NCO?
Just trying to get my uniform straight.
Thanks

Eclipse

Probably on green flight suit.

No on combat patch.

No on tan.

No on Schützenschnur.

"That Others May Zoom"

Jester

I have no clue about when green flight suits are worn, but the tan is a no-go.

Combat patches are a no-go as well. CAP dress and appearance is derived from the AF reg. I'm AF, have 2 Army combat patches and have never been able to put them anywhere.

I'm going to pull out my AF reg now and see if the German award is approved through the AF, I'll report my findings. I don't believe it is though.  EDIT: nope.

SMWOG

Okayish Aviator

First off welcome to CAP!

For all things uniform, look for the Civil Air Patrol CAPM-39-1. It will give you all the wear information you should need.
Always give 100%, unless you're giving blood.

BC3660

N6RVT

Quote from: BC3660 on July 16, 2016, 07:04:24 PM
  Hi, I'm a new guy just joining the CAP. I have prior service in the Army Guard as a 15T. I still have my flight suit from 2004 (green). Is this the correct version for CAP?
I also have 5 Tan Flight Suits, Can I wear them?
Combat Patch, am I allowed to wear this in my CAP uniform?
On the Officers Uniform are you allowed to wear the Schützenschnur if you earned it as an NCO?
Just trying to get my uniform straight.
Thanks
The only thing on my Civil Air Patrol uniform that gives you any indication I was in the Army are my parachute wings After 20 years as an 18 Alpha I have a little more than that...

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Sapper168

The only thing on my field uniforms that points to my Army career is my Sapper tab.  Getting the correct placement on a CAP uniform involved referring to sections from 3 separate uniform manuals but to me its worth it.  Ribbons on the blues was easier.   ;D
Shane E Guernsey, TSgt, CAP
CAP Squadron ESO... "Who did what now?"
CAP Squadron NCO Advisor... "Where is the coffee located?"
US Army 12B... "Sappers Lead the Way!"
US Army Reserve 71L-f5... "Going Postal!"

LSW

Quote from: Eclipse on July 16, 2016, 07:12:27 PMNo on Schützenschnur.

Is that specifically stated somewhere?

I was told I could wear it in Air Force Blues as it is a legally awarded badge from my prior service and is listed on my DD-214 and Air Force Personnel are aloud to earn and wear it.

The CAPR 39-1 states
11.2.1.4. Foreign Awards. Foreign awards are so many and so varied, the number and
combinations that may be worn will not be prescribed; however, good taste and judgment should prevail.
Only those decorations that have been duly approved by Congress for acceptance and wear by the
individual may be worn.
NHQ/DP should be contacted for direction in advance of wearing foreign
awards with CAP uniforms. - CAPR 39-1, pg. 114, 26 June 2014

The approved by congress...wear by the individual part suggests yes as it is in my DD-214.

That said on page 110 is states:
Quote10.8.2.1. Foreign badges (aviation, medical insignia and parachutist badges). Are only worn
in the conferring country or while attending official and social functions hosted by the awarding
government
(reference AFI 36-2903, para 10.5.2). Do not wear foreign aviation badges unless wearing a
CAP aviation badge.

Which would be read as if I am in uniform in Germany I may wear it but not here.

It also says to refer to AFI 36-2903 which I did and under wear of foreign awards see nothing that clearly allows or forbids a rope like the Schuetzenschnur.

I never investigated further as I will never wear the AF uniform due to weight restrictions I discovered alter and no other typical uniform allows foreign awards. So when in doubt, don't wear it... but I never saw anything I could understand as clearly forbidding it. So I am curious if there is something somewhere as most foreign award references are either ribbons, badges or mini-medals.

Eclipse

Quote from: LSW on July 20, 2016, 04:21:07 PM
That said on page 110 is states:
Quote10.8.2.1. Foreign badges (aviation, medical insignia and parachutist badges). Are only worn
in the conferring country or while attending official and social functions hosted by the awarding
government
(reference AFI 36-2903, para 10.5.2). Do not wear foreign aviation badges unless wearing a
CAP aviation badge.

The Schützenschnur is not an "aviation, medical insignia, or parachutist badge", so this doesn't apply.

As to the other, as indicated NHQ/DP is your source for information and potential approval.  I probably answered too quickly as
the USAF reg recently changed, but it appears it's still not clear. 

Several forum posts that I see on the subject indicate the wear of it has to be approved by the USAF in advance,
and is only approved for wear by enlisted personnel, not officers.  I cant find verbiage to that effect in the Army or USAF regs, though.

"That Others May Zoom"

stillamarine

Seeing as it's a weapons proficiency award, and SMs can not wear weapons quals awards I think the answer from CAPNHQ is gonna be no. Plus officers can't wear the award anyways.
Tim Gardiner, 1st LT, CAP

USMC AD 1996-2001
USMCR    2001-2005  Admiral, Great State of Nebraska Navy  MS, MO, UDF
tim.gardiner@gmail.com

LSW

Quote from: Eclipse on July 20, 2016, 04:47:47 PMSeveral forum posts that I see on the subject indicate the wear of it has to be approved by the USAF in advance,
and is only approved for wear by enlisted personnel, not officers.  I cant find verbiage to that effect in the Army or USAF regs, though. personnel, not officers,

Good point now that I think about it, Many soldiers wore it, but now that you mention it, ever person I recall wearing it was enlisted including me. I cannot recall any officer with it. I guess I still do not think of myself as a CAP officer as I was always enlisted.

Shuman 14

I can confirm AR 670-1 (Section 29-19 part C) prohibits the wear by officers... they may accept and retain but not wear.

QuoteThe German Marksmanship Award (Schuetzenschnur) is authorized for wear only by enlisted personnel. Officers may accept, but may not wear the Schuetzenschnur. If authorized, personnel wear the award on the right side of the uniform coat, with the upper portion attached under the center of the shoulder loop, and the bottom portion attached under the lapel to a button mounted specifically for wear of this award.
Joseph J. Clune
Lieutenant Colonel, Military Police

USMCR: 1990 - 1992                           USAR: 1993 - 1998, 2000 - 2003, 2005 - Present     CAP: 2013 - 2014, 2021 - Present
INARNG: 1992 - 1993, 1998 - 2000      Active Army: 2003 - 2005                                       USCGAux: 2004 - Present

LSThiker

Quote from: LSW on July 20, 2016, 05:49:36 PM
Good point now that I think about it, Many soldiers wore it, but now that you mention it, ever person I recall wearing it was enlisted including me. I cannot recall any officer with it. I guess I still do not think of myself as a CAP officer as I was always enlisted.

The Schützenschnur is only worn by German enlisted soldiers.  As such, US enlisted members are allowed to wear it only.  US officers are allowed to participate in the proficiency but are not allowed to wear it.   

On the other hand, the GAFPB is allowed to be worn by both enlisted and officer. 

The Schützenschnur can be worn by USAF enlisted personnel.  However, considering that you will be an "officer", then no you may not wear it.  Just as though if an enlisted soldier earns it, he must take it off if he/she accepts a commission.

Eclipse

It's moot in this case, but I haven't posted for like an hour, so...

The reg reads that when earned by someone in the USAF, it has to be approved for wear explicitly,
in this case, it was earned in the Army, so there's no mechanism for it to be properly approved for wear on
the USAF uniform, or thus the CAP USAF-Style uniform.

"That Others May Zoom"

Shuman 14

Playing Devil's advocate here, but if the member in question was to go the CAP NCO route (i.e. not an officer), could not his leadership send a request up the CAP chain, across to CAP-USAF, then up to whoever would approve the wear and then back down to the member with a yes/no on approval for wear?  ???
Joseph J. Clune
Lieutenant Colonel, Military Police

USMCR: 1990 - 1992                           USAR: 1993 - 1998, 2000 - 2003, 2005 - Present     CAP: 2013 - 2014, 2021 - Present
INARNG: 1992 - 1993, 1998 - 2000      Active Army: 2003 - 2005                                       USCGAux: 2004 - Present

audiododd

Quote from: stillamarine on July 20, 2016, 05:03:52 PM
Seeing as it's a weapons proficiency award, and SMs can not wear weapons quals awards I think the answer from CAPNHQ is gonna be no. Plus officers can't wear the award anyways.

Stillamarine,

Where does it say we can't wear weapons quals?  I read it as we can wear any badge earned through qualification IAW AFI36-2903 as long as it's not in a position where a CAP badge needs to go.  The Schuetzenschnur is another question altogether, since it's a foreign award.  I WISH I had the opportunity to qual with the Germans.  Several friends got to, but there was always some reason I wasn't able to :-(

Dodd Martin, MSgt, CAP
MSgt, USAF (Ret.)
Squadron NCO
Safety/Comm/Admin/Personnel/IT
TMP - MO - MS - MRO - MSO

abdsp51

Quote from: audiododd on July 21, 2016, 04:18:40 AM

Stillamarine,

Where does it say we can't wear weapons quals?  I read it as we can wear any badge earned through qualification IAW AFI36-2903 as long as it's not in a position where a CAP badge needs to go.  The Schuetzenschnur is another question altogether, since it's a foreign award.  I WISH I had the opportunity to qual with the Germans.  Several friends got to, but there was always some reason I wasn't able to :-(

Go back and read that AFI.  It says may be worn if it supports the members primary duties in their AFSC.  The exception to that is the mentioned German award here and the EIC badge. 

audiododd

Quote from: abdsp51 on July 21, 2016, 04:26:06 AM
Quote from: audiododd on July 21, 2016, 04:18:40 AM

Stillamarine,

Go back and read that AFI.  It says may be worn if it supports the members primary duties in their AFSC.  The exception to that is the mentioned German award here and the EIC badge.

Thanks!  I'll take another look.  Are we talking 39-1 or 36-2903?
Dodd Martin, MSgt, CAP
MSgt, USAF (Ret.)
Squadron NCO
Safety/Comm/Admin/Personnel/IT
TMP - MO - MS - MRO - MSO

Luis R. Ramos

Go back and read that AFI.

39-1 is not an AFI, therefore he must be referring to 36-2903...
Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer