Get those Senior members out of the Corportae uniform and into the USAF style

Started by RNOfficer, June 16, 2016, 09:47:58 PM

RNOfficer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nC6FkP5JZVk

Clinical trials showed patient lost an average of 46 pounds during the first year and another few pounds to make 50 pounds of weight loss by the second year.

SarDragon

Sadly, that won't help me. I'm barbate, not overweight. It's a choice I made many years ago, and an opportunity to wear the AF-style uniform is not a big enough inducement to alter my current appearance, nor would it for many other members.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Sapper168

:o :o :o ??? ???

Eating a smaller portion size is much cheaper and does exactly the same thing.
Shane E Guernsey, TSgt, CAP
CAP Squadron ESO... "Who did what now?"
CAP Squadron NCO Advisor... "Where is the coffee located?"
US Army 12B... "Sappers Lead the Way!"
US Army Reserve 71L-f5... "Going Postal!"

RNOfficer

Quote from: Ground_Pounder on June 16, 2016, 10:26:22 PM

Unfortunately, losing weight is not easy for many. Try Googling "Civil Air Patrol" officer" image and you'll see that possibly a majority of CAP Seniors appearing in USAF uniform do not meet weight/ height standards.

grunt82abn

I meet the standards and choose not to wear the USAF uniform, and actually prefer the corporate. 21 years in the army is enough military uniform wear for me.
Sean Riley, TSGT
US Army 1987 to 1994, WIARNG 1994 to 2008
DoD Firefighter Paramedic 2000 to Present

supertigerCH

Quote from: Ground_Pounder on June 16, 2016, 10:26:22 PM

You're right on the money Ground Pounder

SarDragon

Here's something else I do for snacks - put some in a small container that holds about 100 calories worth. NEVER eat out of the original container. Once you have a defined portion adjust the size to meet your desired caloric intake level and motor on. I eat nuts, crackers, granola and similar stuff that way, and it seems to work.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Al Sayre

Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: SarDragon on June 17, 2016, 01:30:42 AM
Here's something else I do for snacks - put some in a small container that holds about 100 calories worth. NEVER eat out of the original container. Once you have a defined portion adjust the size to meet your desired caloric intake level and motor on. I eat nuts, crackers, granola and similar stuff that way, and it seems to work.

Alternatively, MyFitnessPal. Don't want o log everything? Fine. But use it for a month, and the data you get on food is mindblowing. Really opens your eyes.

etodd

Quote from: RNOfficer on June 16, 2016, 09:47:58 PM

Clinical trials showed patient lost an average of 46 pounds during the first year and another few pounds to make 50 pounds of weight loss by the second year.

That is no different than purging. Sticking a finger down one's throat is MUCH cheaper.  ::)
"Don't try to explain it, just bow your head
Breathe in, breathe out, move on ..."

Eclipse

Quote from: etodd on June 17, 2016, 04:20:01 AM
That is no different than purging. Sticking a finger down one's throat is MUCH cheaper.

Until you burn your esophagus out with stomach acid.

"That Others May Zoom"

abdsp51

Quote from: etodd on June 17, 2016, 04:20:01 AM
Quote from: RNOfficer on June 16, 2016, 09:47:58 PM

That is no different than purging. Sticking a finger down one's throat is MUCH cheaper.  ::)

Do remember there are cadets who read these forums and some of them may be dealing with binge eating and purging.  Have a little forethought.

Pace

While I am adamently opposed to this except as an absolute last resort to avoid gastric bypass, which has a host of permanent irreversable side effects, it is not the same as eating less. If it were, it would never have been approved.

After you eat to the point you feel full, neurohormonal mediators signal that you are satisfied. This is when the device is used to empty 1/3 of the contents and replace them with water. If you simply eat less, the brain will not "feel full" and the person will be more likely to keep eating to satisfaction.
Lt Col, CAP

winterg

Wouldn't it be cheaper and safer to just drink a full glass of water before your meal?

Transmitted via my R5 astromech.

Pace

Not the same thing. Water doesn't increase leptin (satiety hormone) levels and induce a sense of fullness.
Lt Col, CAP

Майор Хаткевич

Eating less, and eating your macros in balance. I finally broke a goal - 40.8lbs lost. Only 21.2lbs to go until I'm CAP compliant.. Last time I as at this weight was when I was 19, on a crazy diet that got me down to 218 from 240ish, only to gain it all back quickly, and then pack on another 35lbs over a course of a few years.

winterg

Quote from: Pace on June 17, 2016, 01:08:09 PM
Not the same thing. Water doesn't increase leptin (satiety hormone) levels and induce a sense of fullness.
Interesting. My Doctor told me to drink water before meals. And a quick Web search turns up numerous studies that say it is beneficial. But I guess like any medical finding, give it a minute and they will do a 180!

http://www.m.webmd.com/diet/news/20150828/water-weight-meals-obesity

Transmitted via my R5 astromech.

Luis R. Ramos

I always thought the reason why restaurant waiters pile you with water as soon as you finish your water glass was so that your stomach was full and you did not complain about your meal portions...

And I always read that "to eat less, have a full glass of water at the beginning of your meal."

Maybe water does not make your satiation hormones going but you will not be able to get more food portions in if the stomach is full as when it is empty...
Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

Pace

I get where you guys are coming from. Drink more water = stretch receptors activated + food = eat less. But that is only temporizing until the water empties and you're hungry again because that does not increase hormonal levels like filling that same volume with food. To fool the body you have to pile in the food to stimulate hormone release then suck it out and replace with volume.

I feel like I'm defending this stupid device now... I hate this thing except in rare circumstances, but the science behind it is sound.
Lt Col, CAP

Sketch

Water is a natural hunger suppressant, but you still have to eat and depending on your goals eating more might be the way to go. The key is to eat the right things in the right amounts at the right times of day. Also, since I know some of us metabolize food slower than others, you might need to consider quitting certain trigger foods altogether if they're preventing you from moving forward with your goals. I used to eat an astronomical amount of junk food until I realized I would never be fit unless I went full cold turkey so I did. Now I'm getting close to my goals and not only can I wear USAF style, I almost look good wearing it  8)

Also, for some that have let themselves go I can see the urge to go under the knife but I insist that you try everything else first before considering that option.