Fighting the lint fight

Started by Briank, June 11, 2016, 11:40:39 AM

Briank

OK, what's the secret to keeping the "corporate working uniform shirt" lint free?

I've made a number of changes in my laundry routine that help, but the problem still is not solved for that particular uniform piece.

- I've switched from warm to cold water, helped a little.
- I quit using fabric softener, helped a little.
- I switched from using a dryer to hang drying, helped a LOT.
- I'm careful which things I wash together (colors/fabrics), but based on experimentation, it actually has no effect.

After the above, all my clothes come out fine *except* for that pesky shirt.  My lint roller and lint brush will pick up a little bit of dark lint that I can't even see on the shirt, but nothing touches the remaining lighter colored lint except picking it off by hand.  Is there some magic laundry additive that I'm missing that would help?

Eclipse

If you're washing it separately, and not drying it, where's the lint coming from?

"That Others May Zoom"

Briank

Quote from: Eclipse on June 11, 2016, 03:43:25 PM
If you're washing it separately, and not drying it, where's the lint coming from?

Beats me.  The washer itself?  However, I don't get why I don't have the same problem with any other clothes.

Eclipse

It might be time to run a couple cleaning cycles on the machine - I haven't seen any issue like that specific to
the golf shirt, and I've got both the newer cotton-y one and an older dry-wick one.

"That Others May Zoom"

Holding Pattern

Quote from: Briank on June 11, 2016, 11:40:39 AM

- I switched from using a dryer to hang drying, helped a LOT.

Tear apart and rebuild your dryer, removing lint from all the things.

SarDragon

The shirt may be olde enough for the fabric to be pilling. There's no easy solution except a new shirt. Washing them inside-out will also help in general.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

etodd

How much lint? One or two tiny little ones?  Isn't the whole idea of the polo to be a bit more causal than the starched and pressed into cardboard blues one?   ;)
"Don't try to explain it, just bow your head
Breathe in, breathe out, move on ..."

SarDragon

You can be comfortable and still look good. I have my own problem with cat hair. It is usually easier to take care of than lint (steer clear of the little beasty after dressing), but I make sure I clean it all off before leaving my house.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Briank

Quote from: etodd on June 12, 2016, 02:46:32 AM
How much lint? One or two tiny little ones?  Isn't the whole idea of the polo to be a bit more causal than the starched and pressed into cardboard blues one?   ;)

Lots.  It's the "casual, just rolled out of dumpster" look.  :-)

PHall

Try having the cleaners launder the shirt once and see if you still have the lint problem.
That will tell you if it's the shirt or your dryer.

THRAWN

Quote from: etodd on June 12, 2016, 02:46:32 AM

A little more casual is one thing, looking like 200 pounds of hot garbage is another.
Strup-"Belligerent....at times...."
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

RRLE

You could try putting the shirt in a pillow case and then tying the pillow case closed.

indiaXray

Quote from: THRAWN on June 13, 2016, 01:52:17 PM

A little more casual is one thing, looking like 200 pounds of hot garbage is another.

Agreed!  Whatever you wear, wear it properly and with pride. 
Squadron Activities Officer
Squadron Professional Development Officer

Briank

Finally found a trick that works for a shirt that's already linted (as all the other tricks Google turns up don't work at all)...

Rub the shirt with a damp washcloth.  Doesn't do a perfect job, but is a dramatic improvement (at least 10x better than a lint roller).  Planning on washing that shirt by itself and doing this each time afterwards.  Hopefully it'll stay cleaned up...