Jump Start- ABU Name Tapes, AF Occupational Badges, CAP Specialty Track Badges,

Started by USAFRiggerGuy, May 06, 2016, 01:06:55 PM

majdomke

If people wear prior to the authorized wear date then that's something they should be disciplined for. Don't punish everyone for the few morons out there.

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: majdomke on May 15, 2016, 04:58:06 PM
If people wear prior to the authorized wear date then that's something they should be disciplined for. Don't punish everyone for the few morons out there.

How are you being punished?

Storm Chaser

Quote from: NIN on May 15, 2016, 03:13:12 PM
Quote from: Storm Chaser on May 15, 2016, 01:50:10 PM
Quote from: Capt Hatkevich on May 13, 2016, 06:22:33 PM
I'm betting they roll out is the same date as the authorization because people WOULD order early AND wear it.

Which is/was poor planning. If the authorization date is 15 June, then they should be available prior to that. Otherwise, they force members who can't/won't wait to look for alternative vendors.

The other issue Vanguard may encounter is mass ordering, which will result in weeks of backorders, pushing the wear date even farther.

It doesn't force anybody to do anything.

Just because the uniform is authorized for wear as of 15 June doesn't compel you to actually have to wear it ON 15 June.

Nobody's getting extra points for being the first to wear ABUs in their AO. Seriously.

So why the rush to buy potentially unauthorized, or at least potentially non-compliant, insignia?  If you don't have ABUs set up until 15 July, oh well.   Its not that big of a deal.

Whatever happened to doing things right the first time?

So what do you do when a new member joins in June, but can't wear ABUs he or she already has for another month because the required tapes are unavailable? What happens if they join this month? Do you make them get BDUs?

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: Storm Chaser on May 15, 2016, 05:42:27 PM

So what do you do when a new member joins in June, but can't wear ABUs he or she already has for another month because the required tapes are unavailable? What happens if they join this month? Do you make them get BDUs?

Same thing that happens now...it takes at least a few weeks to outfit themselves.

PHall

I'm betting they roll out is the same date as the authorization because people WOULD order early AND wear it.

Which is/was poor planning. If the authorization date is 15 June, then they should be available prior to that. Otherwise, they force members who can't/won't wait to look for alternative vendors.

The other issue Vanguard may encounter is mass ordering, which will result in weeks of backorders, pushing the wear date even farther.

Just because the uniform is authorized for wear as of 15 June doesn't compel you to actually have to wear it ON 15 June.

Nobody's getting extra points for being the first to wear ABUs in their AO. Seriously.

So why the rush to buy potentially unauthorized, or at least potentially non-compliant, insignia?  If you don't have ABUs set up until 15 July, oh well.   Its not that big of a deal.

Are we talking Cadet or Senior here?   Cadet, if you have a set of BDU's you can issue them, then do it. They can wear them until 2021.
Senior, give them the options and let them decide.

Storm Chaser

Quote from: PHall on May 15, 2016, 05:58:37 PM

Are we talking Cadet or Senior here?   Cadet, if you have a set of BDU's you can issue them, then do it. They can wear them until 2021.

Not every unit has BDUs to issue and we can't compel a member to buy a uniform that's being replaced. Even if the unit has BDUs available, they still have to buy ultramarine tapes for it. My point is that if tapes and insignias were not going to be available for a while, CAP could've pushed the date another month or two to give both Vanguard and our members time to prepare for the transition. That said, transitions are always challenging in the beginning and we'll just have to deal with it as we go.

NIN

Edge case.  I'm not talking about that guy.  I'm talking about everybody wanting to run out and get tapes right now before 15 June. Tapes that might not be the right colors,  etc.

Breathe,  everybody. 

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
Wing Dude, National Bubba
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

Майор Хаткевич

The BDUs are good for another 5 years. It's really not an issue.

arajca

Cadet or senior is irrelevant as far as issuing uniforms. I regularly issue uniforms to both.

Storm Chaser

Quote from: Capt Hatkevich on May 15, 2016, 06:38:20 PM
The BDUs are good for another 5 years. It's really not an issue.

They may be good for 5 years, but since they're being phased out, you can't make anyone buy them.

Storm Chaser

Quote from: arajca on May 15, 2016, 07:15:55 PM

Cadet or senior is irrelevant as far as issuing uniforms. I regularly issue uniforms to both.

I assume that's if you have them. Not every unit has uniforms they can issue or in the right size.

Storm Chaser

Quote from: NIN on May 15, 2016, 06:38:20 PM

Edge case.  I'm not talking about that guy.  I'm talking about everybody wanting to run out and get tapes right now before 15 June. Tapes that might not be the right colors,  etc.

Breathe,  everybody. 

Exactly. You were quick to reply to my post even though I was referring in part to "that [or those] guy". The issue is practically non-existing for members who already have uniform they can wear.

Storm Chaser

Quote from: Storm Chaser on May 15, 2016, 07:26:51 PM
Quote from: NIN on May 15, 2016, 06:38:20 PM

Breathe,  everybody. 

Exactly. You were quick to reply to my post even though I was referring in part to "that guy", or better yet, those guys and gals. The issue is practically non-existing for members who already have uniforms they can wear.

majdomke

Since cadets aren't required to be in a complete uniform until their first promotion, you can wait for ABUs to be fully ready. Not to mention, a complete uniform could be their blues which are not changing. Bottom line for ABUs and those who question people wanting to jump right in... they are going to be an excellent recruiting tool and some people just like to stay fresh. If you want to wear your BDUs until 2021 then go right ahead. That's between you and your commander. Cadets are very excited about this and it will boost esprit de corps big time. If ABUs stimulate recruiting then I'm all for them. Get them anyway you can then do your best to sell them on the benefits and keep them in as long as you can. ABUs for seniors I imagine has a lot to do with no longer looking like some bastard step child anymore. I have to admit this past 9 months Gen Vasquez has done a great job getting CAP feeling more like we're part of the team. I'm sure others were involved but we didn't really start feeling it until after he took command. Kudos to him and his team for making us feel like we are part of the team.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Luis R. Ramos

Your suggestion re Blues will not work for most city cadets. They will not receive their Blues uniform voucher until after Curry which is their first promotion. So now, no complete ABU untill who knows when? If they are joining now, will have to look for BDUs which will be like throwing away money.

Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

lordmonar

Quote from: Luis R. Ramos on May 15, 2016, 11:27:07 PM
Your suggestion re Blues will not work for most city cadets. They will not receive their Blues uniform voucher until after Curry which is their first promotion. So now, no complete ABU untill who knows when? If they are joining now, will have to look for BDUs which will be like throwing away money.
Not really.....statistically speaking....almost all of those cadets will have quit CAP before they HAVE TO wear ABUs.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Okayish Aviator

Quote from: lordmonar on May 15, 2016, 11:35:03 PM
Not really.....statistically speaking....almost all of those cadets will have quit CAP before they HAVE TO wear ABUs.

Agreed. But even if they were to go ahead and get the ABU's and begin wearing them on the start date (new cadets without their tapes) I can't imagine a senior member berating them for not having a complete uniform as a fresh cadet, and if you do your job with the cadets you wouldn't need to worry about them saying anything either. My squadron, it seems to take the new cadets about a month to get their first set of uniforms done. I think that's more than enough time, and we can do what we need to to make due until the phase in period begins.

The auto-panic isn't really needed. We make due, we stay flexible. Semper Gumby my friends.
Always give 100%, unless you're giving blood.

majdomke

What is a "city cadet" vs a regular cadet? If you are following regs then you will collecting blues from the cadets who quit and have somewhat of a supply to help outfit your new cadets. I'm pretty sure the regs say blues are required where BDUs and ABUs are optional because of cost and lack of free uniform program for them. This may be hard for some squadrons to take in because all they ever wear are
BDUs. Make blues the priority and then utilities if they can afford or get supplied.

Luis R. Ramos

City cadets are cadets from the poorer sections of cities.

Or are you telling me that all cadets have the same resources?
Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

majdomke

That's one of the major reasons we have the curry uniform program and previously the free uniform through AAFES. Are you saying you have no supply at all? We all have cadets in our squadron that have limited means. Our squadron has only been around for 6 years and yet we have a sizable collection of uniforms. Why? Because we took advantage of the old AAFES program and made sure every new cadet ordered a uniform. Then, when they quit or outgrew them, we made sure we recovered them. We also took in donations from former service members through a uniform sales website that is no longer in business. Now, we will start building our collection of used ABU's. In then end, it is the squadron commander who must determine how to deal with the new uniforms and when to start rolling them out. I've already sat down with my staff and made a game plan. Of course things may change as we all wait to see how many uniforms being donated from AAFES actually make it down to the little people and also what the cloth insignia from Vanguard  looks like. One of my deputies already made a trip up to our local, 120 mile away, AF base and picked up some ABU's from the uniform store. Each base usually has a thrift store or Airman's Attic. You'll need to check with them about CAP taking items. I know our local base doesn't allow just anyone to come in and take free uniforms but there is a contact from the local CAP squadron who can get them if we ask.