Suspension of Corporate Compassion and Animal Transport Flights

Started by CAP4725, May 01, 2016, 01:44:46 AM

Live2Learn

Quote from: Flying Pig on May 01, 2016, 01:01:41 PM
I just sorta scratch my head on these.  Although a noble idea, I dont know that compassion flights flights is really what the CAP aircraft fleet was intended for.   Does CAP even do the organ transports anymore?  Most of those missions seem to be done by EMS aircraft.  As far as getting them funded by a legit source, well, they arent funded anywhere that I know of.  Thats why groups like Angel Flight exist.  There isnt a funded network set up to fly patients around the country for medical treatment.  But then again..... if a pilot is going to foot the bill to fly anyway, you may as well do more than patterns and approaches.

Good points.  However, at the incredibly low use rates we see for CAP aircraft on "C" missions can we really say the "pilot is going to foot the bill" with a straight face?  Renting a comparably equipped C182 or C206 pretty clearly demonstrates the huge subsidy we get to fly these machines "on our own dime", as some would say.

Eclipse

Quote from: blackrain on May 02, 2016, 02:48:07 AM
Of course we routinely receive flight releases more than two hours out...

Who's "we".  I won't release a flight that far in advance.

"That Others May Zoom"

FW

Quote from: Live2Learn on May 05, 2016, 06:18:06 AM

Good points.  However, at the incredibly low use rates we see for CAP aircraft on "C" missions can we really say the "pilot is going to foot the bill" with a straight face?  Renting a comparably equipped C182 or C206 pretty clearly demonstrates the huge subsidy we get to fly these machines "on our own dime", as some would say.

Good point.  Does anyone have an idea what it costs to rent a newer TPA C182 or C206 these days? Can you rent one outside of CAP?

etodd

Quote from: FW on May 05, 2016, 11:01:46 AM

Good point.  Does anyone have an idea what it costs to rent a newer TPA C182 or C206 these days? Can you rent one outside of CAP?

Here a 172S model with steam gauges runs $155 an hour wet and a C182 G1000 runs $295 an hour wet.

Between hobbs and fuel I pay about $75 an hour for the CAP C-172S G1000, if I run about 60% power to keep fuel flow down.
"Don't try to explain it, just bow your head
Breathe in, breathe out, move on ..."

blackrain

Quote from: Eclipse on May 05, 2016, 08:18:46 AM

The Wing allows earlier flight releases. I know when we fly o-rides in the afternoon for example and for most of us that is after work we get the release in the morning. Obviously O-rides won't be conducted on anything but a good weather day and we send a text with acknowledgement  at actual engine start and right after shut down so the FRO knows all is well and has accurate times. In the end the PIC makes the call on weather and I've never seen over the years what I would call an iffy decision by any of our aircrew over weather. We do have a fair number of pilots who fly high end equipment for a living and understand the limitation on single engine and single pilot IFR and already follow the 500-1 in CAP aircraft. Probably the lowest I departed and landed actual IFR in a CAP A/C was approx 600 ft. ceiling with tops at 4000 (G1000 182) on a fairly short re-position flight the morning of a SAREX. Conditions  were predicted to and did improve throughout the day and it was CAVU by the time we RTBed home that evening. We have had non-pilot FROs in the past but I think all in the wing now are rated and better qualified to help make the go-no go decision and won't hesitate to call if they think the weather is looking marginal even after a release.
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly" PVT Murphy

Eclipse

Quote from: blackrain on May 08, 2016, 09:17:49 PM

The Wing allows earlier flight releases. I know when we fly o-rides in the afternoon for example and for most of us that is after work we get the release in the morning. Obviously O-rides won't be conducted on anything but a good weather day and we send a text with acknowledgement  at actual engine start and right after shut down so the FRO knows all is well and has accurate times. In the end the PIC makes the call on weather and I've never seen over the years what I would call an iffy decision by any of our aircrew over weather. We do have a fair number of pilots who fly high end equipment for a living and understand the limitation on single engine and single pilot IFR and already follow the 500-1 in CAP aircraft. Probably the lowest I departed and landed actual IFR in a CAP A/C was approx 600 ft. ceiling with tops at 4000 (G1000 182) on a fairly short re-position flight the morning of a SAREX. Conditions  were predicted to and did improve throughout the day and it was CAVU by the time we RTBed home that evening. We have had non-pilot FROs in the past but I think all in the wing now are rated and better qualified to help make the go-no go decision and won't hesitate to call if they think the weather is looking marginal even after a release.

http://pilotonline.com/news/local/cadets-fly-high-in-the-civil-air-patrol/article_05664734-9a12-54f8-b8d9-13798d62f375.html

I am not insinuating this is your wing, I have no idea, only a public example of the kinds of "decisions" pilots occasionally
make and why advance releases are not a good idea.

It's one thing when you believe someone is hanging in the straps, but O-rides (nor any practice) should never, >ever< be anywhere near minimums
in any direction, vector, or sense of the word.

"That Others May Zoom"

blackrain

Quote from: Eclipse on May 08, 2016, 09:46:01 PM
Quote from: blackrain on May 08, 2016, 09:17:49 PM

http://pilotonline.com/news/local/cadets-fly-high-in-the-civil-air-patrol/article_05664734-9a12-54f8-b8d9-13798d62f375.html

I am not insinuating this is your wing, I have no idea, only a public example of the kinds of "decisions" pilots occasionally
make and why advance releases are not a good idea.

It's one thing when you believe someone is hanging in the straps, but O-rides (nor any practice) should never, >ever< be anywhere near minimums
in any direction, vector, or sense of the word.

I can definitely say that was not our wing. I certainly wouldn't put cadets or myself anywhere near any convective activity.  Not to mention rough air usually means airsickness for one or more cadets.

All IFR is not created equal (pilot or aircraft) and practicing under the hood is great but there's no substitute for actual flight experience in the clouds and a constant evaluation of risk is required. As I've mentioned before clouds in and of itself is not a threat. Same clouds at night or visible moisture with freezing temperature changes the equation entirely. I would also factor in terrain/available nearby airports with precision approaches etc.

I'm sure you've developed your own minimums over your time flying especially when you got your instrument rating (I know I did) and I respect any pilot and his ability to know his limits.
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly" PVT Murphy